By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Retail sales plummet, electronics down 27%

This shouldn't be that much of a surprise ...

If you're worried about your finances you're probably going to be more careful with the money you spend, and items like clothing, furniture, and electronics are easier to cut back on (buy avoiding buying them, or buying "inferior" products) than more day-to-day expenses.

When I would advise people to panic is when you start seeing people saving the money they typically spend on coffee or lunch ... when this happens people are starting to change their personal habits in a more long-term fashion, and returning them to "Normal" will (probably) not happen anytime soon.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Malachi said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Items over 1000 dollars are "luxury" items, and HDTVs sell the PS3 as good as any game, thus, this recession is hurting the PS3's expansion into the market at a vital time.

I never did understand the whole, more HDTV equal more HD system sold. As far as I know, Japan got the highest penetration rate of both Blue Ray and HDTV, yet the HD system get there ass raped even harder there than in the rest of the world.

They're not buying them for the HD part.

Its a SPACE issue. Notice how small the Wii is?

well that makes it seem much more simple ; )

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Picko said:
Price cutting by Microsoft and Sony, from 12 months ago, has likely contributed to the decline in the value of retail sales, despite the fact that the volume of consoles sold has increased.

I'm not knowledgable enough about the various prices of those two systems in the US, then and now, to work out whether the price cuts have had a positive or negative effect on sales, although I would assume it's been negative.

price cutting has a null effect on sales when consumer demand falls BTW people so stop citing this as a reason.

Squilliam said:
outlawauron said:

He's 16 now, ya know.

Does that mean he can buy beer?

According to the law?  No.  But the law says he can in 5 years.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

FreeTalkLive said:
Squilliam said:
outlawauron said:

He's 16 now, ya know.

He can not. But in here in the fine state of Louisiana you can drink it at 18, but can buy it at 21.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Squilliam said:
outlawauron said:

He's 16 now, ya know.

He can not. But in here in the fine state of Louisiana you can drink it at 18, but can buy it at 21.

Thats too young to not be able to drink alcohol.

Tease.

leo-j said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Items over 1000 dollars are "luxury" items, and HDTVs sell the PS3 as good as any game, thus, this recession is hurting the PS3's expansion into the market at a vital time.

Because every HD TV is over 1000 dollars,

I bought a SONY BRAVIA 32" 720p LCD HD TV yesterday for $549.99

Damn, what 8 months can do...

I had to settle with a cheaper brand at that price in March 2008, lol.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

outlawauron said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Squilliam said:
outlawauron said:

He's 16 now, ya know.

God bless democratic laws that make sense.

/sarcasm

Really why can't you buy it at 18?  I really believe the driving age should be 18 and drinking 16, you're less likely to be a drunk teen driver if you don't have a car to drive ;) cause laws don't stop teens from drinking but hey whats the point in having a car if you can't drive it eh? (make some laws that make sense!)

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
outlawauron said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Squilliam said:
outlawauron said:

He's 16 now, ya know.

God bless democratic laws that make sense.

/sarcasm

Really why can't you buy it at 18?  I really believe the driving age should be 18 and drinking 16, you're less likely to be a drunk teen driver if you don't have a car to drive ;) cause laws don't stop teens from drinking but hey whats the point in having a car if you can't drive it eh? (make some laws that make sense!)

Just move to Europe.

OT: Recession is a recession, you know?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Bboid said:
Picko said:
Price cutting by Microsoft and Sony, from 12 months ago, has likely contributed to the decline in the value of retail sales, despite the fact that the volume of consoles sold has increased.

I'm not knowledgable enough about the various prices of those two systems in the US, then and now, to work out whether the price cuts have had a positive or negative effect on sales, although I would assume it's been negative.

price cutting has a null effect on sales when consumer demand falls BTW people so stop citing this as a reason.

Yeah, this is economically false. Falls in consumer demand have been combined with cheaper production, neither you nor I can say for sure what the end effect is. Please don't pretend as though you do - the effect can be either positive, negative or neutral.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall