By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So what's so great about Blu-ray?

Blu-ray looks nice.

Around the Network
CDiablo said:
darendt said:
CDiablo said:

THe picture quality is slightly better depending on if you have the right tv and the right setup. The quality also depends on the transfer of the DVD, so long story short, there isnt much better about Blu. In terms of video quality I see it as DVD=%90 of video, Blu=%100 with VHS bein about a 50% on the quality scale. The sound is supposed to be amazing if you have a 7.1 system. If you dont notice a slight difference, then I dont know what to tell you. Its not much better than DVD though, Ive rented 5 Blu movies and just got one for christmas and they just dont offer extra much compared to the DVD.

Some Blus have exclusive features and some have less features than the DVD version.

Picture quality is far more than 10% better than dvd. DVD is 480i resolution native. BD is much higher, generally 1080i at least. If you cant tell a difference, or the difference is minimal, than you either have a crap TV, poor setup/incorect setup or crappy eyes.  The sound is also much better, but you do need to have a pretty good system to notice the difference.

Oh, I almost forgot...BDLIVE. That is an outstanding feature that gives you access to extras the DVD will never get. The Darkknight BD had a web event that you could atend with I believe the director of the movie and watch it with him. He was also answering questions about the movie and giving his personal take on what hapened. All LIVE.

Its amazing that I have a top of the line tv set up with the avia home theater guide have nearly 20/20 vision yet the experts on this forum feel that my tv is set up incorrectly, I am blind or a bitter HDDVD fanboy.

IMO I think a lot of people dont actually see much of a difference, but convince themselves that they do since they paid a premium. As an example I use this.....Some girl I was trying to get with wanted to see Date movie or Meet the Spartans or some shit movie like that. So we go to the movies and the audience is having a laug riot at the most bullshit unfunny moments. I personally think they are laughing because they paid a premium to laugh at that movie. They went in to the movie with the mindset that they want to laugh, they have to laugh since they are paying good money to see it. I feel many Blu supporters pay a premium for their movies and thus going into the move are going to see a huge leap in quality no matter what because they paid for HD and they are going to get it, even when its not there.

I will admit since the beginning of the HD war CG animation movies look great, but everything else is just a slight improvment over the DVD version.

Indeed, that is definitely a good TV.  Your TV certainly isn't the problem unless something just isn't hooked up correctly.

Hmmm, sometimes it is just the amount of time you are exposed to Blu-Rays.  I can't even watch television channels that look like crap (see gritty and full-screen AMC versus a channel that spends more time making their movies look good like TCM or IFC) after becoming a picture quality nut.

I even notice major differences between DVD's, some of which are beautiful and have phenomenal transfers, versus those which the studio either couldn't clean up or didn't take the time to clean up.

I probably didn't notice the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD as much when Blu-Ray first came out, but now I notice all kinds of subtler details that I wouldn't have noticed before.  It sometimes takes an adjustment period, not to mention Blu-Ray transfers in general have gotten progressively better as time has gone on (same thing happened with DVD). 

I also didn't have anywhere near as nice of a set-up before (52" 5 or 6 year old CRT with 1080i only that didn't deinterlace property, and at my home a 32" 720p with a great contrast ratio but that was fullscreen).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

You oughto almost be blind to not see the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray. Or old, or a retard.

On my 60" SXRD TV the difference is pretty dramatic from DVD to BR. The biggest difference is in the sharpness of the picture. When watching standard DVDs they just look somewhat "blurry".

Just watched Wall-E and it looked fantastic.

nothing's great about blue ray.... just slightly better.

there is one big problem with it.... you need the HD TV and cables to notice it...

that and the fact that the investment is in many people's opinion not worth the slightly better...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

I'm sorry but if you can not notice the difference between Blu-ray and normal DVD on a Television with 1080i or p then your vision needs to be checked. The difference is astounding.

Seems to me that the supporters of HD-DVD, having lost the format war, now are trying to downplay the war as pointless by portraying Blu-ray as only a small step up.

Frankenstein said:
I'm sorry but if you can not notice the difference between Blu-ray and normal DVD on a Television with 1080i or p then your vision needs to be checked. The difference is astounding.

Seems to me that the supporters of HD-DVD, having lost the format war, now are trying to downplay the war as pointless by portraying Blu-ray as only a small step up.

I have never owned an HD-DVD so I could give 2 shits about it.  We are not talking about normal dvd, we are talking UPCONVERTED DVD which is a difference.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

now im watchin planet earth blu-ray that i got for my dad and it looks absolutely gorgeous...its in full screen

"If new things are so great, where have they been the whole time?"

mysticD said:
Put in blu-ray Rattatuei or Wall-E , if you still can't tell the difference, then just buy everything on DVD.

I watched Rattatioule Blu on my SIL's 46" LCD at 120hz - sweetness. And she noticed the difference. She was like 'My TV can do THAT?' Petty her - she originally had her Blu Ray player hooked up to her sick LCD with ... gasp ... RCA cables. She's feeling it now.

Hephaestos said:
nothing's great about blue ray.... just slightly better.

there is one big problem with it.... you need the HD TV and cables to notice it...

that and the fact that the investment is in many people's opinion not worth the slightly better...

I disagree.. its more than "just slightly" better.

mM