By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So what's so great about Blu-ray?

Personally I don't understand how people can't notice the difference, although I do have a phenomenal TV (Samsung LCD w/ 120 Hz and a 50,000:1 contrast ratio).

Even on some of my lower tier transfers (like The Usual Suspects), I have gone back and forth comparing the Blu-Ray and the upscaled DVD and I notice a lot more detail. I understand that some people say they don't see a difference, but I always see the difference, even when I am upscaling the DVD. I think it has helped that I have watched a lot of different DVD's and a lot of different Blu-Rays.

Once you watch a movie like Speed Racer or Ratatouille on Blu-Ray, you will never say a bad thing about Blu-Ray picture quality again. Its like a visual orgasm.

Kung Fu Panda I think holds the title for the best looking Blu-Ray out there at the moment.

Edit: My father was watching Speed Racer with me and he was floored with how good it looked.  He said he was getting motion sickness because he couldn't handle it (the 120 Hz does that to some people and he isn't used to sitting close to a 40" screen).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

I disagree twesterm, upscaled Dark night DVD looks meh on my PS3..I really should have gotten the Blu-ray version.

mM

@JGarcia:

You never answered my questions about your setup.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

JGarcia050 said:
twesterm..love the dr. cox quote

I could listen to Dr. Cox rant all day ^^

people are blind.

hell playing ps2 game, on ps2 HD is hell, it's blurry mess.

i keep my SD TV for that.

Around the Network

Even with my 32" HDTV I notice a difference.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

leo-j said:
I disagree twesterm, upscaled Dark night DVD looks meh on my PS3..I really should have gotten the Blu-ray version.

I'm talking in general here.  I have Dark Knight on BluRay because I got it for about $20 so have never seen it on DVD.  But considering my DVD collection is still around 300, and that's even after selling a good 400 movies, I have plenty of DVD's to compare to my BluRay collection of about 40 or so (I scour Amazon for deals like crazy).

Idk twersterm... there is difinetily a difference on my tv.. and I have a 720p 32".

mM

Just watching br movie on my 32" hd ready tv and quality is amazing. I don't know how can someone claim he doesn't see the diffrence.

And i don't even have proper sound system to take advantage of uncompressed audio.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

leo-j said:
Idk twersterm... there is difinetily a difference on my tv.. and I have a 720p 32".

Yeah, but as I said, some people notice, some people don't, and some people just don't care.  My wife easily sees the difference between DVD and VHS, but show her a DVD, upscaled DVD, and a BluRay and she can't tell the difference.