By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So what's so great about Blu-ray?

i just got the dark night blu-ray for xmas and watched it yesterday on my PS3 with on my 42" 1080P HDTV...it was mostly in wide screen but for some reason every so often it would go to full screen for a half a minute at a time. The full screen parts looked amazing, but like i said just about the whole movie was in wide screen (black bars top and bottom) and it doesn't look that good at all. I've watched 3 blu-ray movies and i feel the same way about all of them. So my question is, whats so great about blu-ray?

"If new things are so great, where have they been the whole time?"

Around the Network

What kind of TV do you have? What is your contrast ratio? Does your TV have 120 Hz? Are you running the movie at 1080p/24fps? Have you calibrated your TV correctly? Are you sure it is actually running at the correct resolution?

The Dark Knight is a strange example since it has parts that were shot with IMAX cameras (which look phenomenal) and shots with normal camers (look good, but not as good as the IMAX camera sections obviously). Some people find the shifts somewhat disjarring.

The movie is supposed to be in widescreen throughout most of the flim. IMDB has these aspect ratios for the film listed:

Aspect ratio
1.44 : 1 (IMAX version)
1.78:1 (IMAX)
2.35 : 1
2.4:1

You should expect to see black bars at the top and bottom in any of the 2.35:1 or 2.4:1 parts. A widescreen TV is only 1.78:1.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Why dont you plug in your DVD player on to your HD TV, and watch the same movie on DVD.

=)

mM
leo-j said:
Why dont you plug in your DVD player on to your HD TV, and watch the same movie on DVD.

=)

well cause all i hear is how amazing blu-ray is and i want to believe it

What do you mean whats so great? The picture quality is better!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

It's like asking "What's better, VHS or DVD?".

You can tell a huge difference, in more ways than 1.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

not from what ive seen...maybe its my settings i dunno

THe picture quality is slightly better depending on if you have the right tv and the right setup. The quality also depends on the transfer of the DVD, so long story short, there isnt much better about Blu. In terms of video quality I see it as DVD=%90 of video, Blu=%100 with VHS bein about a 50% on the quality scale. The sound is supposed to be amazing if you have a 7.1 system. If you dont notice a slight difference, then I dont know what to tell you. Its not much better than DVD though, Ive rented 5 Blu movies and just got one for christmas and they just dont offer extra much compared to the DVD.

Some Blus have exclusive features and some have less features than the DVD version.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Some people can really see a difference (or just say they can), some people see no difference at all or just don't care. It's not like the jump from VHS to DVD at all since that jump offered more than just quality (and a bigger jump in quality at that).

My TV is setup perfectly for my room (actually had a professional set it up which funny enough I had just about right on my own) and I can notice a small difference from DVD's to upscaled DVD's and BluRay and notice almost no difference in upscaled DVD's and BluRays. My wife can't tell the difference at all between the three.

If you have a PS3 and you can find BluRay movies at the same price or pretty close to DVD's, get the BluRay movies, otherwise, in my opinion it's not worth the extra money (usually more than $10-15 for a movie and a $30 difference for most series).  If you don't have a PS3, I wouldn't fiddle with getting a stand alone player yet.

twesterm..love the dr. cox quote