By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 8 months later - PS3 only has TWO million sellers?

FilaBrasileiro said:
@ sporticus

Very true too

@mitsuhide

I think it's a realistic prediction. Western games just don't sell in Japan. What are your estimates?

I see your point but its like its an FPS or Madden that isnt aimed at them at all.This is a game that is quirky,new,innovative and original aimed at everybody and the only thing that lets it down for the Japanese is thats its made by a western company so i would say about 300k-350k unless Sony dont print the Devs name on the box(MediaMolecule(not a very western name))then it wont look like a western game at all so 400-450k.I think these predictions are low but realistic for the Japanese.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Around the Network
jjseth said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
jjseth said:
Hmmmm am I the only one who thinks that Socom confrontation will be a million plus seller? I know the first two did great, but can't find info on 3 or CA. I did however add on my caveat though that it would have to be like 1 or 2 in terms of gameplay, but next gen graphics and a hit game for the online crowd.

And Soriku, I saw it on the net somewhere and had to paste it in. Even though I'm not a big fan of Nintendo, I still got a kick out of it.
Much like GT 5 Prologue, it's a PSN only title and its sales won't reflect on this site. LBP and Warhawk will also have the option of being downloadable, so the same problems applies to them.

That's pretty insane since it would be a sale of the software even if it's not done in a typical brick and mortar store. Wouldn't there be a release of sales information on those games to the public, or at the least to investors?

Well considering the fact that there are a lot of retail games on this site missing data, i.e. Oblivion and NGS on PS3 missing Euro numbers for example, and all downloadable contents i.e. Castlevania and Geometry Wars on Arcade or Flow and Calling All Cars on PSN, I doubt they'll be able to get those numbers for the downloadable games, I hope I'm wrong though.

@MikeB

While that's true, the Japanese and Nintendo fans wouldn't care much at all

@mitsuhide

Ignoring Microsoft's efforts, let's look at some good/great games that are made from western developer that should've done better in Japan.

God of War (Devil May Cry sold a crapload)
Jak and Daxter (Great platformer)
Ratchet and Clank (Great platformer)
All Western RPGs

I guess after double checking it could reach up to ND and Insomniac's efforts (200k -300k).

Killzone3 said:
LBP to Killzone, Sonys diversity unrivaled!!!

Diversity to the max! Seven FPSs, one God of War clone, two flight slims, two racing games, and one casual racing game on top of all that. God, look at all that diversity, that's like a whole... five... genres! And how is the PS3 not outselling the Wii? I swear, If they released an eighth FPS I might just have to throw my Wii away and buy a PS3.

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

Sporticus said:
Killzone3 said:

Diversity to the max! Seven FPSs, one Panzer Dragoon clone, one God of War clone, two racing games, and one casual racing game on top of all that. God, look at all that diversity, that's like a whole... four... genres... with an age range appeal of like 14-20, that's a whole whopping six years dude! And how is the PS3 not outselling the Wii? I swear, If they released an eighth FPS I might just have to throw my Wii away and buy a PS3.

Wii is half the price. Playstation has ALWAYS been very diverse. PS1 was very diverse, PS2 was very diverse, the PS3 will eventually be very diverse as well. You are right though, this Holiday season a good portion of the good PS3 games will be shooters. 

Around the Network
Hus said:
Of course you 2 would.

Xbox and Ninteno fans are just jealous of LBP, the most original and innovative game currently in the making. Hell if Miyamoto was making it it would be the second coming of jesus the next 10 million seller for nintendo.

I think Will Wright and Spore would disagree with you.  I'm not sure what makes LBP so original and innovative.  There have been plenty of games like it out before.  The only big difference is this one is 3d.  Elebits has a 3D stage maker itself but isn't a platformer.  Well that and most of the games in the "make it yourself" genre suck.  The 2D platformer + one I have isn't bad.  The only problem is having to import in a bunch of characters since theirs suck and having to work around some stuff.

LBP will be an awesome game and sell really well though. Not seeing any innovation in it though so much as taking ideas from a genre of games that are mediocre and actually making it work because someone other then a small time computer game maker is working on it.

Sporticus said:
Killzone3 said:

Diversity to the max! Seven FPSs, one Panzer Dragoon clone, one God of War clone, two racing games, and one unconventional racing game. God, look at all that diversity, that's like a whole... four... genres... And how is the PS3 not outselling the Wii?

Did Sony rape you, did a playstation come to life and beat you with a whip ?

Killzone
Socom
Resistacne

Uncharted

Ratched and Clank
Jak and Daxter

LitleBigPlanet

Afrika
Aqua Vita
Sky Blu

Lair
Warhawk

God of War
Heavenly Sword

White Night Story
Folklore

Motorstorm
Gran Turismo
Whipeout

Calling all cars

Singstar
Palystation Eye
Eye of Judgement

NBA
MLB
Hof Shots Golf

Lemmings
Echochrome
Go puzzle

Blast Factor
Super Stardust

You really are the biggest idiot on this site, thats the honest to god truth.

If thats not diversity, i dont know what the hell is.

WTF is deversity in your eyes ?

From the comments I read on the web about those games I came to this conclusion :

Believe it or not Heavenly Sword will not only be a million seller, but also a system seller, as will Uncharted, but probably to a lesser extent.

Ratchet & Clank might also appeal to people since there aren't that many games out yet and because the graphics look so great (I've never been a fan of R&C myself, but I would buy this one).

Unreal Tournament 3 and Haze will probably not sell so well. People might be a little bit fed up with FPS & TPS (Ghost Recon 2, Call of Duty 4, Strangehold, Socom Confrontation, Brothers in Arms, etc. ) There are just too many for all of them to sell high + people will most likely get Warhawk which I think will be a million seller too.

Pro Evolution Soccer will sell extremely well in Europe that's for sure (soccer is an instituion here) so million seller it is.

Madden NFL will definitely sell well in NA, but I don't see the PS3 version getting to the million.

Singstar will be a multi-millions seller, karaoke is extremely popular and the fact that you'll be able to download titles from the Singstore and go online is reason enough to buy it + as Phil Harison said this is "the leading music game on the planet".

Eye of Judgment will sell well but probably not enough.

That leaves us with Lair, which IMHO lacks the potential, and the prospect to be a million seller.

FilaBrasileiro said:
Sporticus said:
Killzone3 said:

Diversity to the max! Seven FPSs, one Panzer Dragoon clone, one God of War clone, two racing games, and one casual racing game on top of all that. God, look at all that diversity, that's like a whole... four... genres... with an age range appeal of like 14-20, that's a whole whopping six years dude! And how is the PS3 not outselling the Wii? I swear, If they released an eighth FPS I might just have to throw my Wii away and buy a PS3.

Wii is half the price. Playstation has ALWAYS been very diverse. PS1 was very diverse, PS2 was very diverse, the PS3 will eventually be very diverse as well. You are right though, this Holiday season a good portion of the good PS3 games will be shooters. 

Yes but that diversity came from third party developers which the PS1 and PS2 had to spare. Now... not so much.

Looking over the rest of this topic though I'm more concerned with the growing delussions of individuals who keep comming up with new theories as to how Sony is going to win or take back the generation.

1. First it was the bandwagon theory that people would definitly go for the better graphics and the PS3 would be a sure fire thing. This wasn't the case though when both Wii and Ps3 launched and it took the Sony faithfuls a long time to come to terms with this.

2. Second, it was the bandwagon theory that people would definitly go for the hardcore games that the PS3 would be getting, so it was only a matter of time. But as time passed and hardcore title after title came out, the theory began to waver and so did the fan's resolve.

3. Third, it was the bandwagon theory that a price cut would definitly make the PS3 sell and the Wii would die. But now that price cut boost is slowly disolving and the new 80gb model isn't all that its cracked up to be.

4. Now, the popular bandwagon theory is casual games and innovation (which Sony is like getting a couple of) will obviously make everyone go to buy a PS3 and Nintendo will be doomed.

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom