By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will we ever see another RPG like FFVII?

jRPG genre is in a serious need of a blockbuster game.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
@Kasz216- What does Sony have to do with Final Fantasy VII? i mean... i know they own some part of the series but other then that at the time till now what else? O_o

They don't own part of the series.

Sony marketed FF7 however.

It was the spearhead of their advertising campaign in the US and UK... the US campaign somewhere over 100 million, and a seperate UK campaign over 100 Million pounds.

Sony made FF7 big.  Not SE.

So...why did sony do it in the first place? that seems....like what Microsoft tried to do with Infinite Undiscovery and it didnt turn out so well, so what did sony do differnt that MS did...

Becaus the overall sucsess of IU doesnt even come close to VII... O.o

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Kasz216 said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
@Kasz216- What does Sony have to do with Final Fantasy VII? i mean... i know they own some part of the series but other then that at the time till now what else? O_o

It was the spearhead of their advertising campaign in the US and UK... the US campaign somewhere over 100 million, and a seperate UK campaign over 100 Million pounds.

So...why did sony do it in the first place? that seems....like what Microsoft tried to do with Infinite Undiscovery and it didnt turn out so well, so what did sony do differnt that MS did...

No... the Sony campaign was MUCH bigger.

Also, they did it because they made a deal to do it... because they could show the pretty CGI scenes and wow people.

The argreement was in place even before the game was done i believe.

I mean most FF7 ads showed like no actual gameplay.

FF7 had prime time network advertisng.

Back when Network advertising was basically everything.  The thought of a game advertising on prime time network was... unheard of.

Also they got publishing rights and profits for spending all the ad money.

Hey Kasz216 you are on fire in this thread man. I don't have much else left to say. Except that you forgot about Sony's ad campaign spilling the beans on Sephiroth killing Aerith. Sony must of never heard of a spoiler tag....

Kasz216 said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Kasz216 said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

No... the Sony campaign was MUCH bigger.

Also, they did it because they made a deal to do it... because they could show the pretty CGI scenes and wow people.

The argreement was in place even before the game was done i believe.

I mean most FF7 ads showed like no actual gameplay.

FF7 had prime time network advertisng.

Back when Network advertising was basically everything.  The thought of a game advertising on prime time network was... unheard of.

Also they got publishing rights and profits for spending all the ad money.

Does anyone want to see the ads from 1997? I can take out some comics from that year and take pics of the ad pages. FF VII was advertised in like every Marvel comic on Earth in 97.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

No Onyxmeth, we've been traumatized enough by FFVII. Please don't bring back the horror. Although I did enjoy Advent Children, it was was so bad it was good LOL

Darc Requiem said:
No Onyxmeth, we've been traumatized enough by FFVII. Please don't bring back the horror. Although I did enjoy Advent Children, it was was so bad it was good LOL

Oh come on. Don't you remember the scathing comments?

"Someone needs to hand the cartridge guys a blindfold and cigarette."

"If this game were on a cartridge it would take 128 cartridges to fit it all."

I'm sure they're not worded correctly, but those ads were damn epic and effective. That was by far Sony's crowning achievement in advertising. Crash Bandicoot wasn't bad either. Sony was really at their best when they were reading advertising from the book of Sega.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I the irony is that the game would have fit on one cartridge. Angel Studios wanted to port FFVII to N64 but Square said no, so they set their sights on RE2.

Darc Requiem said:
I the irony is that the game would have fit on one cartridge. Angel Studios wanted to port FFVII to N64 but Square said no, so they set their sights on RE2.

I always did find it funny that RE2 took up 2 CDs and only one cartridge. I really didn't see much of a hit either in quality during the cutscenes. Maybe a little grainier is all.

Onyxmeth said:
Darc Requiem said:

I always did find it funny that RE2 took up 2 CDs and only one cartridge. I really didn't see much of a hit either in quality during the cutscenes. Maybe a little grainier is all.

Yeah the FMV was slightly grainer but the rest of the game was higher quality. The CGI backgrounds were 640x480 in the N64 version they were only 320x240 on the PS1. The texture quality and character models were higher quality as well.