By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will we ever see another RPG like FFVII?

Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Kasz216 said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
@Kasz216- What does Sony have to do with Final Fantasy VII? i mean... i know they own some part of the series but other then that at the time till now what else? O_o

They don't own part of the series.

Sony marketed FF7 however.

It was the spearhead of their advertising campaign in the US and UK... the US campaign somewhere over 100 million, and a seperate UK campaign over 100 Million pounds.

Sony made FF7 big.  Not SE.

So...why did sony do it in the first place? that seems....like what Microsoft tried to do with Infinite Undiscovery and it didnt turn out so well, so what did sony do differnt that MS did...

Becaus the overall sucsess of IU doesnt even come close to VII... O.o

No... the Sony campaign was MUCH bigger.

Also, they did it because they made a deal to do it... because they could show the pretty CGI scenes and wow people.

The argreement was in place even before the game was done i believe.

I mean most FF7 ads showed like no actual gameplay.

FF7 had prime time network advertisng.

Back when Network advertising was basically everything.  The thought of a game advertising on prime time network was... unheard of.

Also they got publishing rights and profits for spending all the ad money.

Does anyone want to see the ads from 1997? I can take out some comics from that year and take pics of the ad pages. FF VII was advertised in like every Marvel comic on Earth in 97.

Yeah it had three different TV adds too... the advertising was Halo 3 scope if not even bigger.  It was ridiculious.

Around the Network
perpride said:

I know we have several weekly threads about Final Fantasy, but I just beat Emeral Weapon without using the underwater materia - I can't help myself (Final attack + Pheonix / Knights of the Round and Mimic FTW!).

For years I have played RPG's. They are my favorite genre of games, and FFVII sits at the very top. The game is absolutley massive. It a decade old and still I play it almost every week on PSP. I can never get enough of the Story, world setting, cast of characters, and absolutley outstanding materia system incorporated into ATB. It is a perfect RPG in almost every sense of the word

We are not living during a time of bad RPG's. Just This year we got huge titles like Lost Oddyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, Fallout 3, I.U, TLR and the World Ends With You. All amazing titles in their own right, but they have nothing on the champ, which begs the question, will there ever be another?

vgChartz isn't fond of Final Fantasy VII.  It's actually quite popular to dislike it here.

Onyxmeth said:
Darc Requiem said:
No Onyxmeth, we've been traumatized enough by FFVII. Please don't bring back the horror. Although I did enjoy Advent Children, it was was so bad it was good LOL

Oh come on. Don't you remember the scathing comments?

"Someone needs to hand the cartridge guys a blindfold and cigarette."

"If this game were on a cartridge it would take 128 cartridges to fit it all."

I'm sure they're not worded correctly, but those ads were damn epic and effective. That was by far Sony's crowning achievement in advertising. Crash Bandicoot wasn't bad either. Sony was really at their best when they were reading advertising from the book of Sega.

I would love to see some of these ads.  I don't think I ever saw them.  The only magazine I looked at in 1997 was Nintendo Power.

yes,only if square-enix started to make games like they used to.(hope versus 13 is good)

Zim said:
While at the time I loved FF7 in retrospect you realise a huge amount of the love for it was purely based on the graphics and cutscenes. I actually really dislike what FF7 did to rpgs as it was a huge step backwards, yet because it was so successful most games copied it.

Playing chrono trigger then ff7 is strange because it feels like you are going back in time. CT has a better battle system and no random encounters. Not only that but funnily CT now looks better than FF7. Ct is beautiful 2d whereas FF7 is really really awful 3d, I always dislike that the character designs out of battle are so different to the battle/cutscene character designs. The reason of course being they couldn't get the characters more detailed than just blocks out of battle.

Still I will always like FF7 just because of the nostalgia and the characters, but it does not age well and many many rpgs are far far better. Skies of arcadia immediately springs to mind (althrough unfortunately that too has random battles).

Really looking back at ff7 you can't say that for today there is much good about it. Graphically bad, incredibly simple gameplay etc. In fact I think most people even remember the characters different to how they actually are. Try replaying the game, Aerith dies and it's like erm so what? She has had like 20lines of dialogue, why should I care? There actually isn't a huge amount of character development at all.

Oh and no there is no good argument for random encounters, they are awful. The only game it vaguely makes sense in is pokemon because the whole point is they hide in grass, even then it would be nice if you at least saw grass move so you knew there was a battle, just not what with.

Hey hey hey hold it!If it weren't for Aerith,the game would have had a totally different ending.FF7 isn't the best game ever but lets not forget some basic facts about it.

Around the Network

Personally I've seen a lot of RPGs better than Final Fantasy VII.

And some like it, I would assume.

Suikoden forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(kirby rpg for wii they should make it)

CrazzyMan said:
FF7 was epic because of presentation.
FFVII ias better then FFVI in ALL ways. FFVII s like FFVI, BUT BETTER.
The main character in FFVII are not blank, like in VI.

FF7 is ANOTHER level.

If you people don`t agree, say what FFVI do better, then FFVII. :)

I will not spend the time to actually argue with you, but I will say that Final Fantasy VI had a simultaneously larger and more fleshed out cast, a more gripping plot, a universally better soundtrack, better scenes in terms of raw emotion, superior writing, and, of course, an infinitely better villain.

If you like, we can argue about it at length.

Khuutra said:
CrazzyMan said:

FF7 is ANOTHER level.

I will not spend the time to actually argue with you, but I will say that Final Fantasy VI had a simultaneously larger and more fleshed out cast, a more gripping plot, a universally better soundtrack, better scenes in terms of raw emotion, superior writing, and, of course, an infinitely better villain.

I stopped playing FFVII before I even knew who the villain was, but I could just tell the cast, plot, music, and scenery were inferior, and I just gave up.  Glad to know FFVI had a larger and more flashed out cast as well.  I've never played another game in any genre with such a large cast as FFVI in which I actually cared about and used every single character.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Khuutra said:
CrazzyMan said:

FF7 is ANOTHER level.

I stopped playing FFVII before I even knew who the villain was, but I could just tell the cast, plot, music, and scenery were inferior, and I just gave up.  Glad to know FFVI had a larger and more flashed out cast as well.  I've never played another game in any genre with such a large cast as FFVI in which I actually cared about and used every single character.

While I agree with you and I'm glad you enjoyed FFVI so much (high five) you must have stopped about two or three hours into Final Fantasy VII and I don't think that's a fair shake, especially given how it opens up after you get out of Midgar.

I guess it wasn't a fair shake, but as a rule I don't play games for more than 2-3 hours if I'm not already having fun. I believe it is the developer's job to make a good intro to a game, and not my duty to tolerate a boring intro.

I stopped playing DMC3 at the first boss (I almost quit at the intro video, but I gave it a second chance), and I stopped playing Resident Evil when they told me I was the master of lockpicks and handed me a lockpick and the next door I got to was locked and it recommended I use my new lockpick.