By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Preview - Downloadable only on the Wii!

For history try: Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, Super Paper Mario, Fatal Frame (one of my favorites), Dragon Quest VIII, Chrono Trigger, Max Payne, Bully, Indigo Prophecy, Kingdom Hearts (only the first game), Zone of Enders, Monkey Island and Day of Tentacle.

I covered almost all genres and audiences with this list. That does not mean I think they are all great. If you do not like even one of these games stories, then just give up. You can not expect scenario writers to be as good as novelists and all time classic writers.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

Hey guys, before I make any mention of my thoughts on this whole thing, I'm curious if anyone else had some major issues with buffering for the videos?

My connection has been a bit buggy today, but while attempting to watch the videos, I must have had nearly two dozen moments were the video was in need of buffering and stopped.

I also had some major lag a few days ago when playing Strikers online. Oddly my PS3 is next to my Wii and doesn't seem to have nearly a much lag or hangups with the online features as I've seen recently with my Wii.

I can surf the net ok on Opera, and accessing other online features appears to run smoothly, so I'm not sure if there is an issue with my connection, or this is just the par for the course thus far with Nintendo's online features.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

maybe I've been using the PS3 too much, but when my wii lit up this morning and it said "Metroid Prime Preview!" I was expecting a playable demo. Still looks worth getting though.

super_etecoon said:
Legacy of Kain series has a great story...great voice acting, excellent gameplay...But who plays games for stories...Stories give the game engine relevance...

For instance...way back when, there was a game called Donkey Kong. You had to climb up a series of platforms while "barrels" rolled down at you. Why? Why did the chicken cross the road? Does there need to be a reason? It's a game; it's a challenge. But if we put a princess in the picture then we move from a game involving pixels to a "hero" saving a "damsel in distress". Our futile, pointless journey up the scaffold is actually a chivalric priveledge and duty.

Stories in games do nothing more than give realism and purpose to the otherwise arbitrary events and challenges that happen in a game, and, for the most part, they are irrelevant. I don't know about you, but in a cut scene I'm just waiting for them to give me my next mission.

So I couldn't care less about the story in a game. My only concern is that it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. True, the new videos look to be story heavy and a little action oriented, but I think something else is at work there.

I believe that the reason we are seeing so much story is that we are seeing the beginning of the game. Gmae beginnings are always story driven, even when they're giving you a tutorial. It's all about exposition and purpose. Why are you here? What is your mission? What is at stake? As far as why the second video appears to be just mindless action? This is a demo for Metroid. Would you rather they show a video of someone getting lost? Or trying to figure out a puzzle?

At least that's what I'm hoping they're doing.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Sure, a story isn't essential to a game, but it's by no means of such meager use. While a story's effects upon a game are less tangible than gameplay's, they are by no means nonexistant. Despite just describing stories' effects as less tangible and more abstract, I will attempt to explain them in a tangible manner:

Stories lead to a more immersive game. They allow you to better connect with the characters and makes it feel more like you're in the game and are the main character than watching the game and controlling the main character. Like you said, it also justifies what would otherwise be random and useless, albeit extremely fun, actions. For me, watching the story unfold (or making it myself) is just as fun as actually playing the game. It's a rare sight for me to skip cutscenes (unless I'm replaying a game, and even then, only the uneventful ones). I know you probably won't believe me, but I'll gladly overlook and/or put up with shortcomings in gameplay if the story is excellent, and vice versa.

I do think, though, that story is much more important in certain genres than others. In my opinion, much more emphasis is necessary in adventure games and RPGs on story than in, say, a platformer or racing game. Regardless, stories are not as narrowly useful as you make them out to be.

Edit: @DoesWhatNintenDont: The actual download took about three minutes and I only had to buffer for about 2 seconds before watching each trailer in its entirety. 

Note: This is on a DSL UltraFast (aka regular broadband -_-;) connection. 

Okay, now that I'm back and I have the rant out of my system, I must point out that this is only my opinion, and if you don't agree, no problem.

Just looking over the games mentioned here, I see stories about vampires and knights with magical swords and, of course, space mercenaries fighting space pirates. It isn't that such stories can't be fun, as they have entertained me: I'm just tired of it. I don't read pulp fantasy/science fiction any more, and I don't play "story driven" games for the same reason.

The stories of games -- perhaps especially games that are lauded -- are very akin to blockbuster action movies: a single hero (in the case of video games, you) shoots or slices or fights his way to victory, beating insurmountable odds. Often, he saves the world in the process. There's nothing wrong with such entertainment, it's just not for me anymore. Again, personally, I find it all rather silly.

I'm still awaiting the first game that's just a simple -- perhaps even subtle -- story about a person who goes through every day life. I've seen a few attempts, most notably the games of Wil Wright and Ian Bogost, both of whom are lambasted for making "boring" games (especially the latter) apparently because they don't involve blowing stuff up, and there is no "winning." Personally, I'd much rather see games go in that direction (I very much appreciate Bogost' games that detail the social and political ramifications of oil use and trading) than in the blockbuster action movie direction, but that's just me. Again, for emphasis, I'm not trying to force anyone to agree with me. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
tarheel91 said:
super_etecoon said:
Legacy of Kain series has a great story...great voice acting, excellent gameplay...But who plays games for stories...Stories give the game engine relevance...

For instance...way back when, there was a game called Donkey Kong. You had to climb up a series of platforms while "barrels" rolled down at you. Why? Why did the chicken cross the road? Does there need to be a reason? It's a game; it's a challenge. But if we put a princess in the picture then we move from a game involving pixels to a "hero" saving a "damsel in distress". Our futile, pointless journey up the scaffold is actually a chivalric priveledge and duty.

Stories in games do nothing more than give realism and purpose to the otherwise arbitrary events and challenges that happen in a game, and, for the most part, they are irrelevant. I don't know about you, but in a cut scene I'm just waiting for them to give me my next mission.

So I couldn't care less about the story in a game. My only concern is that it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. True, the new videos look to be story heavy and a little action oriented, but I think something else is at work there.

I believe that the reason we are seeing so much story is that we are seeing the beginning of the game. Gmae beginnings are always story driven, even when they're giving you a tutorial. It's all about exposition and purpose. Why are you here? What is your mission? What is at stake? As far as why the second video appears to be just mindless action? This is a demo for Metroid. Would you rather they show a video of someone getting lost? Or trying to figure out a puzzle?

At least that's what I'm hoping they're doing.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Sure, a story isn't essential to a game, but it's by no means of such meager use. While a story's effects upon a game are less tangible than gameplay's, they are by no means nonexistant. Despite just describing stories' effects as less tangible and more abstract, I will attempt to explain them in a tangible manner:

Stories lead to a more immersive game. They allow you to better connect with the characters and makes it feel more like you're in the game and are the main character than watching the game and controlling the main character. Like you said, it also justifies what would otherwise be random and useless, albeit extremely fun, actions. For me, watching the story unfold (or making it myself) is just as fun as actually playing the game. It's a rare sight for me to skip cutscenes (unless I'm replaying a game, and even then, only the uneventful ones). I know you probably won't believe me, but I'll gladly overlook and/or put up with shortcomings in gameplay if the story is excellent, and vice versa.

I do think, though, that story is much more important in certain genres than others. In my opinion, much more emphasis is necessary in adventure games and RPGs on story than in, say, a platformer or racing game. Regardless, stories are not as narrowly useful as you make them out to be.

Edit: @DoesWhatNintenDont: The actual download took about three minutes and I only had to buffer for about 2 seconds before watching each trailer in its entirety. 

Note: This is on a DSL UltraFast (aka regular broadband -_-;) connection. 

Tarheel....I accept your disagreement graciously.  First off, I don't skip cutscenes.  I sit back and enjoy them.  I'm a sucker for cinematic effect.  And while a good story can make up for a bad game, I find that oftentimes I wish they would just leave the story out and let me play the game.  As Bodhesatva says, these stories are done.  They are trite.  Or just plain bad.  Take for instance, Elebeits.  The gameplay in this game is great.  I don't need to know why I'm uncovering all the little Elebits.  But they felt the urge to make up some cheesy story and wrap it up with some horrible (horible repeated again for emphasis) voice acting.

My original point is that I don't care what the story will be in Metroid Prime 3.  I play the game for its atmosphere and its exploration, not its intriguing metaphors or abstract parallels to real world politics. 

I'm excited to play Super Mario Galaxy, and I hope the story is kept to a minimum. 

Nintendo: "Save the princess." 

Me:   "Okidokey" 

So I think I agree with both Tarheel and Bodhesatva.  Games with great stories are amazing.  Unfortunately they don't make good stories very often.  Err on the side of good judgment and give me solid gameplay, please.  Ifg the controls feel good, the story will tell itself.

Androo said:

Prime's single player was ALWAYS a gazillion times better than Halo 3's. The latter's single player experience & story is so mediocre and typical I wasn't bothered with it after the second chapter [Combat Evolved].

And Prime 3 seems to be the best Prime yet. It certainly doesn't look anything like Halo... which is a good thing.

EDIT: Did anyone notice the floating alien mass thing (alien ship?) floating in space at the end of the trailer? What was that?!

Well, I'm only familiar with about 25% of the story in the Prime series to date, but I'm gonna guess it's a Phazon meteorite much like the one which crashed into Tallon IV. And it's probably heading someplace very important...

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Prime 1 and 2 were both heavy on the story. Why are we surprised to see this? It's not like the scan visor didn't do anything in Prime 1 and 2...

The were A LOT of Chozo ruins to encrypt with a lot of text to understand. Plus it was AWSOME uncoving an old civilisations' history. Now we are going to delve deeper into Samus's own story etc. I think going to the Galactic Federation's HQ is awsome. We have been hearing about them since the first Metroid, now we have a chance to see it with our own eyes.

I think that this is what will happen:
- Space Pirates attach GF HQ, Samus tries to hold them off, HQ destroyed;
- Samus escapes only to find out that she was the only one...
- ...but throughout her journey she meets the other survivors, the other bounty hunters who are all in search of one being - Dark Samus.
- and all this time the phazon inside of her is corrupting her...
- ...which leads to the BIG surprise that Retro will not unveil unless we play the game.

:D

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers
famousringo said:
Androo said:

Prime's single player was ALWAYS a gazillion times better than Halo 3's. The latter's single player experience & story is so mediocre and typical I wasn't bothered with it after the second chapter [Combat Evolved].

And Prime 3 seems to be the best Prime yet. It certainly doesn't look anything like Halo... which is a good thing.

EDIT: Did anyone notice the floating alien mass thing (alien ship?) floating in space at the end of the trailer? What was that?!

Well, I'm only familiar with about 25% of the story in the Prime series to date, but I'm gonna guess it's a Phazon meteorite much like the one which crashed into Tallon IV. And it's probably heading someplace very important...

You mate just won my trust lol. Why didn't that come to my mind?! That's exactly what it is!!! It also might be driven/controlled by Dark Samus herself!!

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers

ANDROO: Did anyone notice the floating alien mass thing (alien ship?) floating in space at the end of the trailer? What was that?!

i'm guissing by the blue thats it's like a giant creature comet thing made of phazon, that i guess will probably be the final boss or close to it.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k