By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Preview - Downloadable only on the Wii!

Emmitt2222 said:
SilentWolf said:
Prime seems to be going so much toward Halo that I could see them putting "Finish the fight " at the end of the first trailer. Either way it looks like this game is going to be good.

This is exactly what I was thinking during the first preview. The style makes it look a ton like Halo, especially with the music. I think this is both good, because it could get more casual attention this way, and bad, because its really nothing like Halo in gameplay so people may not understand its more of an adventure game.

Either way, I am really happy Nintendo is doing this kinda advertising and that it is actually really good looking. Things are looking up for Nintendo's advert department and for Metroid.

Wow, I didn't get much Halo out of it.  It just felt like regular epic music to me.  The art in the trailer was definitely metroidesque.  I don't really see many similarities here.  Nonetheless, my heart froze when I saw this topic and thought "ZOMG playable demo!?" and then I died twice when I saw trailer.  Nonetheless, it was amazing and made me want the game even more (if that's possible).  Atleast we're getting closer to demos.  Genius marketing strategy, by the way.  Free and reaches 4mil+ (connected) people who all own a Wii.

Around the Network

ckmlb said:

...they should have something on the Wii menu when you first come in like an announcement about this preview in the Wii Ware section so that the average Joe might download it, but the letter is a nice touch.

There was. When you first launched the Shop Channel there are some small icons on top of the screen. One was for the MP3 Previews.

I'm sorry guys, but I have still yet to play a video game that has even a reasonably good story, and a game about a space mercenary who blows up hundreds of space pirates while battling "corruption" isn't a terribly good start. I'd much rather play a game that has either no story or only the outline of a story than one that has a long, detailed, sucky story

When someone finds a video game with a good story, get back to me, but MP3 certainly doesn't seem like it will fit that bill.

/rant

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

I'm sorry guys, but I have still yet to play a video game that has even a reasonably good story, and a game about a space mercenary who blows up hundreds of space pirates while battling "corruption" isn't a terribly good start. I'd much rather play a game that has either no story or only the outline of a story than one that has a long, detailed, sucky story.

When someone finds a video game with a good story, get back to me, but MP3 certainly doesn't seem like it will fit that bill.

/rant

While I do agree on Metroid not having a great story (same with most of Nintendo's francises), there are plenty of other games that do have great stories

Right now I'm being lazy, so I'll let someone else name games that have great stories. 

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii

This isn't a joke right? They actually have a preview downloadable on Wii? Am I a sucker for believing? Lol, I'm at work so i can't check for another couple of hours.

Just kiss the tip.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

I'm sorry guys, but I have still yet to play a video game that has even a reasonably good story, and a game about a space mercenary who blows up hundreds of space pirates while battling "corruption" isn't a terribly good start. I'd much rather play a game that has either no story or only the outline of a story than one that has a long, detailed, sucky story.

/rant

Really?  You didn't find the TP story any good?  I loved it.  It still, at its core, was a Save the Princess story, but I love stories that take on a basic archetype and give it a new twist that makes it feel fresh and new.  Plus, the character development was extremely well done.  By the end of the game, I felt like I knew the characters in and out and was really able to connect with them.  Plus, the relationships were also well portrayed.  The ending was a tad touching, even (big words coming from me).

Paper mario had a great story, and banjo kazooie had a great action adventure theme even though the story wasnt that great. Resistance had a great story, I wonder if there will ever be a racing game with a story?

mM

dam that trailer was sweet.. wish my shop channel worked though, havn't been able to connect to it for about 2 months, even though all my other online channels work..

Well FF X, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Eternal Darkness have all great stories.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

Legacy of Kain series has a great story...great voice acting, excellent gameplay...But who plays games for stories...Stories give the game engine relevance...

For instance...way back when, there was a game called Donkey Kong. You had to climb up a series of platforms while "barrels" rolled down at you. Why? Why did the chicken cross the road? Does there need to be a reason? It's a game; it's a challenge. But if we put a princess in the picture then we move from a game involving pixels to a "hero" saving a "damsel in distress". Our futile, pointless journey up the scaffold is actually a chivalric priveledge and duty.

Stories in games do nothing more than give realism and purpose to the otherwise arbitrary events and challenges that happen in a game, and, for the most part, they are irrelevant. I don't know about you, but in a cut scene I'm just waiting for them to give me my next mission.

So I couldn't care less about the story in a game. My only concern is that it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. True, the new videos look to be story heavy and a little action oriented, but I think something else is at work there.

I believe that the reason we are seeing so much story is that we are seeing the beginning of the game. Gmae beginnings are always story driven, even when they're giving you a tutorial. It's all about exposition and purpose. Why are you here? What is your mission? What is at stake? As far as why the second video appears to be just mindless action? This is a demo for Metroid. Would you rather they show a video of someone getting lost? Or trying to figure out a puzzle?

At least that's what I'm hoping they're doing.