By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In a few years Nintendo will no longer be the handheld gaming king...

scottie said:
Stopped reading at "After years on the market there are maybe 10 DS games worth a damn", which is infact the 4th sentence

Haha, same here. What world is this person living on?

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Around the Network

While I do not agree that the iPhone/iPod will replace the DS/PSP/Traditional Handheld market I do think it will become an indirect competitor and augment that market.

Ironically enought I just purchased an iPhone Developer's Cookbook and am just beginning to delve into making apps for the iPhone, it is freaking awesome and just as I thought it would be very easy to start and a welcoming environment. Apple really knows what they are doing.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

Impulsivity said:
thekitchensink said:
Impulsivity said:

most DS games suck PRETTY damn hard too.  After years on the market there are maybe 10 DS games worth a damn and so much shovelware that you could spend a year with a tractor working through it and still not be done.

I took you seriously until that point.

Seriously, there's so much fail there, it's not even worth responding to, but I will.

-Four Ace Attorney games (soon to be five)

-Elite Beat Agents

-New Super Mario Bros.

-Animal Crossing: Wild World

-Mega Man ZX and ZX Advent

-FFIII and FFIV

-Hotel Dusk

-Metroid Prime: Hunters

-Mario Kart DS

-Mario 64 DS

-Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

-Castlevania: Order of Ecclessia

-Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure

-Nintendogs

-Dementium: The Ward

-Call of Duty 4 and World at War

-Brothers in Arms

-Bleach

-Naruto

-Advance Wars: Dual Strike

-Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

-Resident Evil: Deadly Silence

-Final Fantasy XII: Revenent Wings

So there's a quick list of thirty games (3x the arbitrary number you gave) off the top of my head.  Bye now!

and about how many of those do you think people who aren't kids/kids at heart would want to play?  I sure can't picture many adults playing Naruto or Animal Crossing.  I'm not talking about Nintendo fanboys when I'm saying the ipod will expand gaming, you already obviously own a handheld and are willing to pay 40 bucks for whatever.  I'm talking about the 95+ % of the population that would never ever buy a DS for any reason and doesn't really want to play a game with cartoon characters (yes playing sudoku counts as gaming too, the revenue comes in just the same).  Selling to the same 100 million people world wide that bought a gameboy is does not expand the market.

1. I believe, in the sentences I quoted, you referred to 'good games'. So your entire comeback was to debunk a point I never tried to make.

2. So now the argument is that there are too many core games on a Nintendo system, and that they aren't expanding the market enough.

I can get behind some of what you're saying--the iPod and iPhone are very casual devices, and almost everyone has one in some form or another.  But it's like saying that Wendy's will overtake McDonald's because their food tastes better and they have more variety--it just ain't gonna work.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Impulsivity said:
thekitchensink said:
Impulsivity said:

most DS games suck PRETTY damn hard too.  After years on the market there are maybe 10 DS games worth a damn and so much shovelware that you could spend a year with a tractor working through it and still not be done.

Seriously, there's so much fail there, it's not even worth responding to, but I will.

-Elite Beat Agents

-New Super Mario Bros.

-FFIII and FFIV

-Hotel Dusk

-Mario Kart DS

-Mario 64 DS

-Nintendogs

-Brothers in Arms

-Bleach

-Naruto

So there's a quick list of thirty games (3x the arbitrary number you gave) off the top of my head.  Bye now!

and about how many of those do you think people who aren't kids/kids at heart would want to play?  I sure can't picture many adults playing Naruto or Animal Crossing.  I'm not talking about Nintendo fanboys when I'm saying the ipod will expand gaming, you already obviously own a handheld and are willing to pay 40 bucks for whatever.  I'm talking about the 95+ % of the population that would never ever buy a DS for any reason and doesn't really want to play a game with cartoon characters (yes playing sudoku counts as gaming too, the revenue comes in just the same).  Selling to the same 100 million people world wide that bought a gameboy is does not expand the market.

I'm 34, and every adult gamer I know with a Nintendo system plays Animal Crossing. Men, and Women. Time to get over your misperceptions, and 18 year  old gamer mentality.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Impulsivity said:
thekitchensink said:
Impulsivity said:

-Elite Beat Agents

-New Super Mario Bros.

-FFIII and FFIV

-Hotel Dusk

-Mario Kart DS

-Mario 64 DS

-Nintendogs

-Brothers in Arms

-Bleach

-Naruto

I think you need to be banned back into the alternate reality you stumbled out of. There's no doubt now that you're an interdimensional troll and I'm pretty sure you were an antagonist in an episode of Sliders. 

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

You don't have a clue. Really. My mother has a DS. Yep. My mom. DS rules in EVERY demographic, something iPhone will never do.

Do your maths. DS is close to 100 million sold. That's far more than 5% of the market. Let's be generous and say that the complete potential market (Western world + Japan) is 1 billion (that's an overstatement) then 1/10 or 10% have a DS in the Western world. More than the iPhone will sell.

So now it's about expanding the market? Shall I grap the goalpost and run? Still nonsense, cause DS will be the most successfull handheld ever.

BengaBenga said:
Gaming on iPod/iPhone will definitely be a success, however it won't replace DS or PSP as real gaming devices:

1. Too simplistic controls. You give Wii as an example, but that's retarded, it still has 10 buttons, a pointer and motion controls. Touch screen only won't work for a lot of genres. That Wii is low quality is trolling.

2. You say DS will be replaced because the library is weak. I say you're insane. Really. The DS library is one of the best EVER in gaming and I can't believe you say there are 10 games on it. Either you never played a DS, you're trolling or you never played a DS.

3. Nintendo games won't be on iPod/Phone. Nintendogs, Brain Training, Mario, Zelda etc.

4. Apple won't advertise as a gaming device. Someone that's looking for a handheld platform will go to the store and buy a PSP or DS, not an iPhone. Not to mention the fact that people buy their phone for completely other reasons than handhelds. On iPod gaming is a nice EXTRA, not a core functionality. In Europe most people get their phones for free with a subscription. Not iPhone though, that one's only available with one phone company (in the States as well I believe, AT&T) and then it's still expensive. How many people do you think will buy an iPod for MGS Touch?

1) the Wii does have very simplistic controls in many games.  Yes it has buttons but it doesn't have touch which serves the same function.  The use of the accelerometer and the use of the wiimote is quite similar if you've ever played games on the iphone.  I say the Wii is low quality in comparison to the HD consoles because frankly it is.  It is a casual friendly console that's low on graphics and high on approachability.  It is not winning because its games look the best, its winning because people who game casually buy it.

2) I do own a DS and it has more or less sat in the closet for a good long while now after playing a few games on it.  I can take a picture of it if you like (and the 360 people question my ownership of as well for good measure) Yes they were somewhat fun, but certainly not enough to make me take it with me places.  The HUGE advantage the iphone has is that its always with me no matter what so I can just play a few minutes when I'm waiting for something, with the DS you have to plan to game or something and there are few things on the DS that are worth planning for.  

If I'm home I'd rather use the PC/PS3 and if I'm out the last thing I want is a big ass handheld in my pocket along with my iphone/keys/wallet unless I know its a long car trip or something.  How often are you in the car for 2+ hours to really use a handheld in that kind of situation?

3) So?  I can get games from just about every other publisher soon enough.  Konami, Namco, EA ect are all producing games for iphone along with all kinds of creative indy developers.  There isn't a whole lot of interesting innovation coming from Nintendo these days anyway.  The latest pokemon games are about the same as they were in the early 90s, the latest Mario game is almost the same as the game I played in 86...I mean Nintendogs was fun for about a week but whats to stop someone from making a VERY similar game on the touch?  If they can port Sim City 3000 in full to the ipod they can certainly make a rather basic pet sim.

4)  They are advertising it as a gaming device.  I've seen at least a dozen iphone commercials that feature it playing various games like Crash Bandicoot racing.  It probably will not replace it in the core nintendo market of kids and nostalgia seekers, but it will certainly stunt the growth of things like the DS in the expanded market Nintendo talked about during their E3 such as older women and other adults.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Wow--I don't like to badmouth even the worst of trolls, but this was a ridiculous thread. Mario Galaxy is the same as the original Super Mario Bros? Nintendo doesn't innovate anymore? NINTENDO HAS TOO MANY CORE GAMES AND IS NOT EXPANDING THE MARKET???

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

We have yet to see if this strategy of selling a product as a non-gaming device, then turning around and announcing "it also plays games!" works. The people I know with iTouch/iPhones aren't the type to care about those type of games.

I won't deny that it has a shot at cutting into the expanded market, however, I'm still a bit skeptical of how much damage this device in particular can do.

Anyway, Nintendo just released the DSi in Japan, which helps them further expand into the expanded territory. They're in a strong position against the iTouch/iPhone because Nintendo products are dedicated to gaming, whereas Apple is adding it on as an afterthought. They have more room to create dedicated, innovative gaming hardware (Apple does not - they won't mess with the iPod/iPhone's core functionality).

edit: Aiee, shame a ban had to come down... oh well...

Impulsivity

Banned

To the one that's responsible for this: You're awesome. Honestly don't know what he was doing making this thread. It was pretty shaky to begin with but it just devolved into DS and Nintendo bashing.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"