By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In a few years Nintendo will no longer be the handheld gaming king...

I think that without a doubt Apple will become the mass market gaming king with the iphone/ipod touch/whatever replaces both of them.  Ironically Apple out casualed Nintendo, the current casual king.

I will admit the average Iphone game isn't great, though, to be fair, most DS games suck PRETTY damn hard too.  After years on the market there are maybe 10 DS games worth a damn and so much shovelware that you could spend a year with a tractor working through it and still not be done.  That goes more or less for the PSP as well.  Nintendo and Sony toss crap into their console (that is barely functional outside just basic game playing in Nintendo's case) and ask for 30-40 dollars PER GAME.

That 30-40 dollar point is the key to why the DS and PSP will both fall to the ipod touch.  The average game price on the ipod?  5-10 dollars.  Even big event games never go above 20 bucks.  That means its not just gamer kids and their parents who will shell out the money, but the parents might pick up a game or two as well.  If its a 5 dollar Sodoku game or a 4 dollar Texas Holdem game suddenly you have a HUGE market of people who would never in their life buy a 40 dollar game for the DS.

That there are already event games like Metal Gear Solid Touch headed for the iphone only furthers the claim that it has a serious future in gaming.  Its a little hidden add on to what people were already buying.  There are far more ipods and iphones in the wild then DSes, and sooner or later the older ipods are turning into newer iphones or ipod touches.  

Another big bonus for ipod gaming is free gameplay.  I have a number of games like blackjack that are totally free with limited advertising.  That means developers get paid, I get to play for free and everyone wins.  That kind of free advertisement model would be absolutely impossible with traditional gaming systems particularly the DS.  

Complain all you want about no buttons and low quality, but if the Wii shows anything its that limited buttons and low quality do NOT hurt casual appeal.  The iphone isn't about winning over the hardcore halo gamers, its in getting your mom to download a crossword puzzle game on her iphone and play it while waiting at the doctors office.  There are a hell of a lot more middle aged not yet gamers then there are teenagers who love core games (and unlike very expensive cartridges+retail boxes+manuals iphone games are almost pure profit).

Ironically, the iphone and especially the marginally more powerful ipod touch are better equiped for gaming then either the DS or the PSP.  That is right, the ipod family has better graphics capability then either of the dedicated handhelds (especially the rather pathetic DS processor which is under 100 mhz).  With a little experience you can bet the event games will look better then anything the DS OR the PSP has to offer.  For example one see 

http://wireless.ign.com/dor/objects/14306701/metal-gear-solid/images/metal-gear-solid-touch-screens-20081217090508848.html

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

Anyone got links to articles prior to PSPs release?

Stopped reading at "After years on the market there are maybe 10 DS games worth a damn", which is infact the 4th sentence

Handhelds game devices can't be dethroned by phones.

After years on the market there are maybe 10 DS games worth a damn

Stupid, wrong, lies, idiotic, ridiculous, offensive, uneducated, moronic, bullshit, asinine, ludicrous, misconstructed, retarded, insane, dumb, silly, etc.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Impulsivity said:

I think that without a doubt Apple will become the mass market gaming king with the iphone/ipod touch/whatever replaces both of them.  Ironically Apple out casualed Nintendo, the current casual king.

I will admit the average Iphone game isn't great, though, to be fair, most DS games suck PRETTY damn hard too.  After years on the market there are maybe 10 DS games worth a damn and so much shovelware that you could spend a year with a tractor working through it and still not be done.  That goes more or less for the PSP as well.  Nintendo and Sony toss crap into their console (that is barely functional outside just basic game playing in Nintendo's case) and ask for 30-40 dollars PER GAME.

this statement is why this thread fails..

its not vary "fair" seeing how most games on ALL systems mostly suck!

hello how are you.

Around the Network

10 DS games worth a damn?

I loled

Only 10 DS games worth playing!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

All that writing and a lot of people will stop reading at the second sentence of the second paragraph.

Paperdiego said:
Impulsivity said:

this statement is why this thread fails..

its not vary "fair" seeing how most games on ALL systems mostly suck!

I will totally accept that the vast majority of games fail.  The point is not that the iphone will be immune to failure, but that it will A) have far more games and more causal games in particular and B) that the games will be a tiny fraction of the price.

As an example http://toucharcade.com/2008/12/13/namcos-i-love-katamari-for-the-iphone/ This game looks almost the same as the PS2 katamari game I love (or the PSP one) and yet guess the price.  30 bucks like the PSP version?  50 bucks like the 360 version was at release?  NO! 7.99!

And yes there have only been 10 good-great DS games thus far.  Most of those 10 are rehashes of games already release on other systems as well (mario 64, chrono trigger ect.)  At best you can inflate that to 20 games (there are 20 games above 85 on meta critic), but the point still stands even if you do that.  

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Buttons make up what handheld lovers want in their, well, handhelds when it comes to portable gaming.

Apple already tried to join the gaming industry and failed. That said, they won't be joining it anytime soon, they will simply let their products get games but will not publich them. Game designers aren't going to bet on a product that isn't built for gaming but rather suited for it.

I can see 5 year olds with a Nintendo DS but don't you find it awkward and even shake if you see a 5 year old with an iPhone or iTouch? The devices aren't made for gaming thus won't be sold as them.

Another thing, Apple won't open a Gaming Division. First party support matters too much, a handheld won't live out of only third party development.

How many mario games do you think are in iTouchs and iPhones? How many games from the SNES and NES era? Too many to count. Lets say all I said before does happen and Apple decides to open a gaming division. Nintendo and competitors would simply say "hey, don't use my products on your device, you're competition now".

Hold your breath, but you'll faint.