By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Mario Galaxy Scans from Famitsu! I said WOW!

Looks great, and is most likely the best Mario game since 64. I don't know if I'll buy it (I have limited funds) but I'll definately be playing it through on my gamefly account.

Around the Network

Comparing the graphics of Ratchet to Galaxy is the prefect example of technical vs artistic. By nature of it's platform, Ratchet has technically superior graphics (although when you look at Galaxy, you realize it's not that large a one)

But in terms of the art design, Galaxy just blows Ratchet out of the water. The game just plain looks beautifull. Each screenshot is a new work of art. And each gameplay video shows something awe inspiringly fun. Ratchet just looks like Ratchet with a lot more polygons. And that's cool. I'm sure it'll be a great game. but everything about Mario (including the graphics) screams game of the decade.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

one the pics looks like it was taken right of super mario sunshine

I just worry about how I'm going to afford Fire Emblem 10 and Mario Galaxy within a week of each other. Damn ya Nintendo! :(

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Arkk said:
You know what the really funny thing is? SMG actually looks relatively good in comparison to Ratchet and Clank Future, when really, there should not be anything graphically valid between the two, considering the PS3s power. Now, don't you think that's kind of a downer for PS3 owners?

Because it doesn't matter. Mario fans look at mario, drool and get excited. They are thinking about how much fun they might have with the game. We know it is in a different league and that is all that matters.

I am a huge mario fan. I bought the DS because NSMB came out and I bought the wii after I saw mario galaxy in E3. I DON'T want to compare it to anything else. Actually, I would like to freeze myself and then unfreeze myself when this game came out. The wait is unbearable. Too bad the freezer is too small, so I don't fit. The fridge is big enough but is not that cold.

Around the Network

leo-j, we're not saying Galaxy is better GRAPHICS-wise, we're saying its better FUN-wise

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Here's a translation of some of its highlights. Forgive me for grammatical mistakes etc. I did it very quickly. I couldn't get the fourth page. 404 not found. So this is page 1-3.

- The director Koizumi did SM64 and Sunshine so he's the director who knows everything about Mario.
- Project started right after finishing Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
- The idea of gravity has been around for a while but never been realized completely until this title.
- 60% of the ideas developed for SM128 are utilized for SMG.
- We managed to get it work well by the time of E3 last year. By that time, we made it so that people don't have to pay much attention to camera and can play without getting motion-sickness.
- Miyamoto has even edited and modified maps and objects in detail. Swapping things around and testing new things out.
- Platformer is about jumping and you can't do it all that well on a spherical platform. That's why we introduced a new move called Spin which fits well with a round platform. Based on that, we developed Staring with which you can travel from star to star, which gives you an exhilarating feeling.
- You can travel fast or sometimes it has no gravity and float you slowly. It's a mix of very different actions.
- There are some places where multiple gravitational forces simultaneously exist and because of that, Mario sometimes moves unexpectedly, which produces tons of new actions and makes it very complex. This unpredictability increases its depth and fun.
- Once you get used to the concept of gravity, you'll learn how to utilize gravitational forces.
- In general, Miyamoto thinks that there really is no rigorous barrier between core gamer and casual gamers. After all, core gamers sometimes play casual games as well. In addition, casual gamers without much experience often get better at games very quickly and can sometimes beat core gamers.
- Of course, there are easy games and hard games certainly. It's hard to adjust difficulty settings. But developers need to try to make games that aren't hard but sill very fun. In other words, you can't rely solely on difficulty to make it fun. If you don't underestimate game newbies, respect them, and work very hard to entertain them, you can make a game that can also satisfy core gamers. But this is a very hard thing to do in reality. But with new young and talented staff we recruited, we are confident that we can do it. There is a way in game design that lets both newbies and veterans entertain together. There must be a way, Miyamoto believes.
- Most core gamers are playing alone these days, but they used to play with their friends having fun in front of TV saying "give me the controller" and such. We'd rather like to change the conventional style of playing alone. That's why we incorporated the assist play into SMG. You can either help your friend doing co-op or actually can annoy him/her as well. Your friend may say "hey stop that!". You can have fun with your friend in various ways. While you do that with your friends, naturally you start to converse with them while playing like "that way that way!, help!" (just like old days). We love how this co-play encourages conversations between players. With a pointer, you can direct your friend more easily. You can say "go this way" and can just point the where he needs to go.
- We are trying to make it so that some people can say it's fun because it's difficult while newbies can also say it's fun because it's doable. We are examining every piece in the game to make it satisfying for both parties.
- You can clear the game by finishing 60% of the contents. But if you are a core gamer and want to challenge and explore the whole content including difficult ones, you can do that as well, and the assist play helps you get through difficult contents.
- With this dual structure, both core and casual players can clear the game with their own difficulty.
- A lot of stars. It's really a galaxy. A lot of adventure packed in. Bigger than the solar system for sure (laugh)
- Traveling from star to star makes you feel like you're really traveling the universe.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

leo-j said:
wasnt kber a nintendo fanboy before he bought a ps3 O_o

Nope. I'm bad to the bone. Usually I avoid threads in Nintendo section but this time... I don't know... I read some posts about new amazing Mario... and it just happened... does one post makes any difference?... Sorry for this little flame. Ok. I'm out of here.

dtewi said:
leo-j, we're not saying Galaxy is better GRAPHICS-wise, we're saying its better FUN-wise

How do you know if you havent played it!? lol there both going to be great games, similar, and fun.

mM

edit: oops. nvm. heh

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann