By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is there so much hate for GTAIV?

You would not think the game got an AAA rating in the top 90's! Yet I hear people insulting it all the time, ok its review scores are probably a bit high, but its a solid 95+

I am just getting back into it and I can remember why I spent countless hours on it.

Around the Network

Because there are no tanks, your friends call you every five minutes, and it does not deserve ANY perfect scores. If the game had say 9.2 from IGN, 9 from Gamespot and a 92 on Metacritic, hate for it would be down a LOT.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

A bit high? a lot high.

The game, imo, deserves a mid to high 8, it does nothing new and takes away a lot of things that made the old GTA's fun.

The reason it gets hated is because of it's undeserved praise. It's kind of like if you are competing with another person and you know you are better than them, but they get all the awards and all the praise, you would be pissed right? same thing here, most gamers agree GTA 4 is not that great and pales in comparison to the PS2 games. Had GTA 4 received reasonable ratings no one would care.

i made this thread a while ago and i also agree that this game gets to much hate.

Last year it was Halo 3 this year it is GTA4, something will come along that people will hate next year and that product will also be pretty popular and have good score.

Around the Network

I don't think GTA IV deserved the review scores it got.

Low 90's, high 80's was more appropriate.

It definately isn't garbage though.

I don't hate it, I just thought it was boring.

Naznatips said it's a downgrade. It's somewhere between GTA 3 and GTA 2, which is sad according to him.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Well I am currently two hours in (PC version) and am already getting frustrated with the cousin calling me asking for help while i'm trying to mess around

Even San Andreas had a better start to the game (Vice City was the best)

Because it got boring fast, and the online is horribly broken, add to that its visuals are horrid, the story isnt even good idk wtf reviewers are smoking, and the voice acting is ok.

Is it a good game? YES a VERY GOOD GAME

Is it THE BEST GAME THIS GEN? Not even close

mM