By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How can People critize MS for throwing Around money When Sony...

Nowhere...not ever in that video did it say that Sony tossed their money around. It all started with Virtua Fighter because Sega was the first to take up the challenge and put a game out on high end technology. Then everyone simply followed suit saying "We want our games to be like that".....and in order for their games to "be like that" they couldn't do it elsewhere but the Playstation.

M$ is just throwing their money around to get games, not create new experiences like what happened in the PS1 era

Around the Network

Because elsewhere was the N64.

Nowadays the reasoning people give for putting former PS3 exclusives on the 360 is "USE BETTER COMPRESSION METHODS!!!!"

During the PS1 era (not even today still) no amount of compression would make 700MB fit onto 64MB. And don't even get to multidisc games. Ever wonder why the music on N64 games was a 5 second .wav file that repeated over and over and over again, instead of full audio tracks? Every wonder why you never saw any FMV sequences on N64?

Now if you're talking about the Saturn....that just failed completely and putting games on there would have been fruitless

RolStoppable said:
BMaker11 said:

Nowadays the reasoning people give for putting former PS3 exclusives on the 360 is "USE BETTER COMPRESSION METHODS!!!!"

During the PS1 era (not even today still) no amount of compression would make 700MB fit onto 64MB. And don't even get to multidisc games. Ever wonder why the music on N64 games was a 5 second .wav file that repeated over and over and over again, instead of full audio tracks? Every wonder why you never saw any FMV sequences on N64?

Now if you're talking about the Saturn....that just failed completely and putting games on there would have been fruitless

This is making things a little bit too simple. The PS1 was easier to develop for and sold better than the Saturn in the Western markets (Japan was tied for the first two years), but that alone can't be the whole reason why key franchises of third parties switched exclusively to Sony instead of going multiplatform on the PS1 and Saturn, especially because the PS1 didn't do that hot worldwide either until late 1996. Then there are the franchises that started out as multiplatform games, yet the immediate sequels didn't appear on the Saturn. Sony was definitely buying third party support in one way or another.

Btw, did you know that Resident Evil 2 was ported to the Nintendo 64? The two CD game fitted on a 64 MB cartridge, complete with all FMVs plus some additional features.

According to that video, in Japan, the PS3 sold over a million in 3 months....don't think the Saturn did that. The likes of Final Fantasy 7....Sony published that game.

And with regards RE2....I know about that. But I also know that despite extra little files that are able to be located within the game (EX files, if I remember correctly) and some other things, they cut the resolution in half to what the PS1 did (64 version was 320x240....) and the amount of enemies on screen is comprable to Dead Rising 360 vs Dead Rising Wii. Yeah, technically, all those third party games COULD have been multiplatform...but nothing without MAJOR drawbacks

twingo said:
They left nintendo cause they were a bunch of control nazis while Sony offered freedom and lower production costs with CDs compared to nintendos old ass cartridges.

you have no clue about anything op.

Last time I check Sega were the control Nazi's hence why the selection of games and lack of RPG's were a huge problem. Nintendo wasn't really the problem. It was their format.

BMaker11 said:
RolStoppable said:
BMaker11 said:

This is making things a little bit too simple. The PS1 was easier to develop for and sold better than the Saturn in the Western markets (Japan was tied for the first two years), but that alone can't be the whole reason why key franchises of third parties switched exclusively to Sony instead of going multiplatform on the PS1 and Saturn, especially because the PS1 didn't do that hot worldwide either until late 1996. Then there are the franchises that started out as multiplatform games, yet the immediate sequels didn't appear on the Saturn. Sony was definitely buying third party support in one way or another.

Btw, did you know that Resident Evil 2 was ported to the Nintendo 64? The two CD game fitted on a 64 MB cartridge, complete with all FMVs plus some additional features.

According to that video, in Japan, the PS3 sold over a million in 3 months....don't think the Saturn did that. The likes of Final Fantasy 7....Sony published that game.

And with regards RE2....I know about that. But I also know that despite extra little files that are able to be located within the game (EX files, if I remember correctly) and some other things, they cut the resolution in half to what the PS1 did (64 version was 320x240....) and the amount of enemies on screen is comprable to Dead Rising 360 vs Dead Rising Wii. Yeah, technically, all those third party games COULD have been multiplatform...but nothing without MAJOR drawbacks

Seeing as how there were never more than 3-4 enemies on screen at a time in RE2, I don't think they cut back on enemies, and that doesn't even make sense seeing as how the N64 was the more powerful system. The resolution was lower, granted, but it was a great port that showed it could be done.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

And the whole money hat argument is still stupid as hell. The only reason Sony didn't money hat is because that would've been a waste. If they needed to throw around money to win, they would've done it in a heartbeat, and the only thing stopping them now is that it's not fiscally feasible with how much they are losing on the PS3 already. Anybody that thinks that Sony isn't money hatting because they are good an honorable, and will lose the console war if it means upholding their dignity is a fucking tool.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Lol yeah, sony were pretty greedy back in the nintendo days, they wiped the floor with nintendo via exclusives and stuff, pay back is a bitch as they say lmao.

But hey there doing much better via exclusives right now then nintendo was doing back then.

Irony is minute 8.

They talk about why the Saturn failed, releasing at a too high price point! ^^

Wow, good effort Sony.

Tease.

Can we call them $ony? since people call MS, M$

Comrade Tovya said:
"stolen to the PSX system"?

What is that supposed to mean?

The same as "ZOMG MDOLLARSIGN STOLEZ OUR JRPGZEZ AND EXCLUSIVES!!!!!111one! THEY MONEYHATZ IT".

@Garnett: No, because its not cool to hate Sony. But it'll make people on TEH INTERNETZ think your awesome if you write M$. 

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.