By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If last year ends up being PS3's peak year...

is there one decent topic left on this forum? i feel like there is no constructive way of posting in this forum anymore.

Around the Network
DOATS1 said:
is there one decent topic left on this forum? i feel like there is no constructive way of posting in this forum anymore.

Even when there was Wii and 360 hate, other topics abounded.  Now, the last ten topics that I've posted in all deal in one way or another about the PS3 being doomed.

It should be very interesting if Sony does manage to turn this around.  But I'm not holding my breath.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
colonelstubbs said:
So when the console gets cheaper, and the games begin fully utilising the machines capabilities, it will sell LESS?

Right

Hey, to be completely fair, it happened to the gamecube, and most non-winning consoles before this generation.

The Gamecube sold poorly from the beginning despite launching at mass market price point and as the cheapest console on the market throughout the generation, so it was a general lack of consumer demand for the product.

This is not the case with the PS3. It's just the most expensive console on the market during bad economic times. A PS3 price cut would have a far greater impact than the Gamecube price cuts.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Obviously Sony can still sell PS3 for quite a while. Its just that
a) their chances of coming back seem to be slim (covered in my OP
and
b) they may not have the resources as a company to continue with PS3. If it keeps hemorrhaging cash, how will they be able to support it?

RolStoppable said:
Metsadah said:
RolStoppable said:
If the PS3 goes down, it's going to take a lot of the 360 3rd party support with it, so the 360's end will be near as well. Could be interesting.

are you an idiotic stupid fanboy or just an idiot?

MS is making tons of money on gamesales and so are the publishers. The only one making money on the wii is nintendo. Do you really think that all the big publishers stop making games when the last console in place failes?

They cant join the wii, since nobody with a wii cares about anything else then mario

I am at a loss for words.

Isn't this what you intended?

Around the Network

This is a depressing forum.

To all the people that say next year will be about the same or worse but PS3 will come back in the years following.. You couldn't be more incorrect..

While I think the PS3 will do well for its lifetime sales, a console can not come out of a year and a half long tail spin for one reason.. MOMENTUM

The Wii will be THE MUST OWN CONSOLE, even more so than it is today by the beginning of 2010 and the XBOX 360 will be THE HD console by the same time if Sony can't rectify the PS3's sales next year.

People will always buy the most popular console. I'm talking mass market here, where the sales come from later into the generation.. If the PS3 is seen as a sinking console next year then how are the mass market gonna pick it over an extremely cheap 360 and the must own console in the Wii?

I think that people are getting ahead of themselves and the PS3 can still get back on track but if it doesn't do so next year then no, it will not come back at the competition. ever.

Which also means that it will have the shortest lifespan.. which is kind of ironic..

izaaz101 said:
RolStoppable said:
Metsadah said:
RolStoppable said:
If the PS3 goes down, it's going to take a lot of the 360 3rd party support with it, so the 360's end will be near as well. Could be interesting.

are you an idiotic stupid fanboy or just an idiot?

MS is making tons of money on gamesales and so are the publishers. The only one making money on the wii is nintendo. Do you really think that all the big publishers stop making games when the last console in place failes?

They cant join the wii, since nobody with a wii cares about anything else then mario

I am at a loss for words.

Isn't this what you intended?

You went fishing Rol: you should be happy that you hooked a whopper!

Oh, and @Metsadah:

Esmoreit said:
geddesmond2 said:

hold up a second and stop.there is lots of things yous aint taking into consideration.ps3 sales will die down in 2009 because of the worlds economy and when the worlds economy balances out again ps3 sales will go strong again weather it be 2010 or 2011 and by then the ps3 will have dropped in price again.the only reason microsoft has doubled there sales is because of the price drop and the economic status at the minute.if the economy wasnt the way it is and microsoft still dropped there price they wouldnt have the numbers they have now.

the release of gow3,uncharted 2,ff13 and verses,killzone 2,mag and dc universe online,heavy rain and the few other suprises they have coming will keep people wanting this consol reguardless.ps3 wont die but if it did microsoft wouldnt win.instead theyll be blamed for destroying the consol gaming generation cas i for one will be finished with gaming and i know thousands others feel that same way 2

Your new so I will explain this to you now: Last year proved that only exceptional games will move consoles (last year happened to be MGS4.) All the other games sony-enthusiasts followed like the next messias did not move any hardware whatsoever. None of the games you listed will move any hardware I believe, as most are fan-services for the current PS3 fans - and they already have their console.

GT5 will sell units in Europe, and FF13 will sell PS3s in Japan but outside of those two, not much will happen.

yeah i am new on this site but im a forum member on a dozen other gaming sites out there and being a forum member on those sites ive read hundreds of threads about people waiting for those following games that i mentioned to be released.you say there fan services for ps3 users but its actually ps2 fans that want these games and are waiting for them in hopes that a price drop is near when there released.i dont think gt5 will do much for the ps3 as imo car games are a francise everyones sic\k of in this generation and only pull in around a mil sales

geddesmond2 said:
Esmoreit said:
geddesmond2 said:

hold up a second and stop.there is lots of things yous aint taking into consideration.ps3 sales will die down in 2009 because of the worlds economy and when the worlds economy balances out again ps3 sales will go strong again weather it be 2010 or 2011 and by then the ps3 will have dropped in price again.the only reason microsoft has doubled there sales is because of the price drop and the economic status at the minute.if the economy wasnt the way it is and microsoft still dropped there price they wouldnt have the numbers they have now.

the release of gow3,uncharted 2,ff13 and verses,killzone 2,mag and dc universe online,heavy rain and the few other suprises they have coming will keep people wanting this consol reguardless.ps3 wont die but if it did microsoft wouldnt win.instead theyll be blamed for destroying the consol gaming generation cas i for one will be finished with gaming and i know thousands others feel that same way 2

Your new so I will explain this to you now: Last year proved that only exceptional games will move consoles (last year happened to be MGS4.) All the other games sony-enthusiasts followed like the next messias did not move any hardware whatsoever. None of the games you listed will move any hardware I believe, as most are fan-services for the current PS3 fans - and they already have their console.

GT5 will sell units in Europe, and FF13 will sell PS3s in Japan but outside of those two, not much will happen.

yeah i am new on this site but im a forum member on a dozen other gaming sites out there and being a forum member on those sites ive read hundreds of threads about people waiting for those following games that i mentioned to be released.you say there fan services for ps3 users but its actually ps2 fans that want these games and are waiting for them in hopes that a price drop is near when there released.i dont think gt5 will do much for the ps3 as imo car games are a francise everyones sick of in this generation and only pull in around a mil sales

So, wait. You think Uncharted 2 is going to sell consoles, when Uncharted "only" sold about 2 million before being bundled? An installment in the God of War franchise is going to sell consoles, when the highest selling game moved 3 million or so units? But a game in a series that always sells around 10 million (or more) won't move consoles?