By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If last year ends up being PS3's peak year...

I have only one prediction about PS3 is that it will sell more in 2009 then in 2008. It could be "marginally" more due to no or late drop in price, or a big increase due to increase in price but more or less, the sales will increase. It might still be lower than xbox 360 though.

Sony is not playing for the first place (in Short-Run) since they have seen that it would be too costly for them now; so they are simply trying to minimize their losses while increasing the userbase. They are not worried about losing the third party support because they wont. They will probably not be the leading platform for good or for a long while, so machine will look on par or inferior to xbox 360 on third party games maybe, but there are always the first party titles that will show the real difference (which is in my opinion is hardly important as Xbox was much stronger than PS2).

If the price drops in 2009 or 2010, the 2010 sales will be even bigger than 2009. So the PS3 sales projection could be partially true (although highly overstated). Xbox 360 sales are highly underrrated on the other hand, and it also doesnt make much sense to imagine that PS3 will pass or get so close to the wii anytime soon!

In Short, even though I am almost sure that PS3 sales will improve in 2009 and even more in 2010, they will lower than wii, also could still be lower than xbox 360. Even if ps3 could surpass xbox 360 in 2009 and 2010 in weekly sales, the total sales will not surpass xbox 360 before 2010 (probably mid-2010 as earliest).

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network
geddesmond2 said:
Esmoreit said:
geddesmond2 said:

hold up a second and stop.there is lots of things yous aint taking into consideration.ps3 sales will die down in 2009 because of the worlds economy and when the worlds economy balances out again ps3 sales will go strong again weather it be 2010 or 2011 and by then the ps3 will have dropped in price again.the only reason microsoft has doubled there sales is because of the price drop and the economic status at the minute.if the economy wasnt the way it is and microsoft still dropped there price they wouldnt have the numbers they have now.

the release of gow3,uncharted 2,ff13 and verses,killzone 2,mag and dc universe online,heavy rain and the few other suprises they have coming will keep people wanting this consol reguardless.ps3 wont die but if it did microsoft wouldnt win.instead theyll be blamed for destroying the consol gaming generation cas i for one will be finished with gaming and i know thousands others feel that same way 2

Your new so I will explain this to you now: Last year proved that only exceptional games will move consoles (last year happened to be MGS4.) All the other games sony-enthusiasts followed like the next messias did not move any hardware whatsoever. None of the games you listed will move any hardware I believe, as most are fan-services for the current PS3 fans - and they already have their console.

GT5 will sell units in Europe, and FF13 will sell PS3s in Japan but outside of those two, not much will happen.

yeah i am new on this site but im a forum member on a dozen other gaming sites out there and being a forum member on those sites ive read hundreds of threads about people waiting for those following games that i mentioned to be released.you say there fan services for ps3 users but its actually ps2 fans that want these games and are waiting for them in hopes that a price drop is near when there released.i dont think gt5 will do much for the ps3 as imo car games are a francise everyones sick of in this generation and only pull in around a mil sales

I'd like to know which gamesites. I can already tell you, this is definatly no gamespot, gametrailer, ign or anything similair. We have our share of fans, but vgchartz' core hook is gamesales past, present and future. And as such, the developers of this site have aggregated so many trends on gamesales that we can somewhat predict what will sell consoles and what not.Badgenome already mentioned a view numbers but I'd like to ask you - the guys on the forums, do they have a PS3 at this moment or not? Did they purchase uncharted 1 for instance the moment it came out?
If yes on both, you will have your answer. And even if not... the vast majority out there on the market ready to buy a PS3 are generally not the people hanging out on messageboards like these.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Esmoreit said:
geddesmond2 said:
Esmoreit said:
geddesmond2 said:

hold up a second and stop.there is lots of things yous aint taking into consideration.ps3 sales will die down in 2009 because of the worlds economy and when the worlds economy balances out again ps3 sales will go strong again weather it be 2010 or 2011 and by then the ps3 will have dropped in price again.the only reason microsoft has doubled there sales is because of the price drop and the economic status at the minute.if the economy wasnt the way it is and microsoft still dropped there price they wouldnt have the numbers they have now.

the release of gow3,uncharted 2,ff13 and verses,killzone 2,mag and dc universe online,heavy rain and the few other suprises they have coming will keep people wanting this consol reguardless.ps3 wont die but if it did microsoft wouldnt win.instead theyll be blamed for destroying the consol gaming generation cas i for one will be finished with gaming and i know thousands others feel that same way 2

Your new so I will explain this to you now: Last year proved that only exceptional games will move consoles (last year happened to be MGS4.) All the other games sony-enthusiasts followed like the next messias did not move any hardware whatsoever. None of the games you listed will move any hardware I believe, as most are fan-services for the current PS3 fans - and they already have their console.

GT5 will sell units in Europe, and FF13 will sell PS3s in Japan but outside of those two, not much will happen.

yeah i am new on this site but im a forum member on a dozen other gaming sites out there and being a forum member on those sites ive read hundreds of threads about people waiting for those following games that i mentioned to be released.you say there fan services for ps3 users but its actually ps2 fans that want these games and are waiting for them in hopes that a price drop is near when there released.i dont think gt5 will do much for the ps3 as imo car games are a francise everyones sick of in this generation and only pull in around a mil sales

I'd like to know which gamesites. I can already tell you, this is definatly no gamespot, gametrailer, ign or anything similair. We have our share of fans, but vgchartz' core hook is gamesales past, present and future. And as such, the developers of this site have aggregated so many trends on gamesales that we can somewhat predict what will sell consoles and what not.Badgenome already mentioned a view numbers but I'd like to ask you - the guys on the forums, do they have a PS3 at this moment or not? Did they purchase uncharted 1 for instance the moment it came out?
If yes on both, you will have your answer. And even if not... the vast majority out there on the market ready to buy a PS3 are generally not the people hanging out on messageboards like these.

eu ps forums,playstation underground,resistance.net,ps3 throphies,game.ie.im not gonna list them all.yes people do go on these sites even if they dont have a ps3.they use these sites to get info on there consols and the ps forums have thousands of ps2 owners without ps3s whos waiting for these games.you see uncharted may have not sold fast at the start because its a new francise but 3 mil for a new francise is good.it may not be a big selling point for ps3 but when people see the upcoming trailers for uncharted 2 they will want to buy it even if they never played the first one and with all the other games coming ps3 will be a must have.

badgenome said:
geddesmond2 said:
Esmoreit said:
geddesmond2 said:

So, wait. You think Uncharted 2 is going to sell consoles, when Uncharted "only" sold about 2 million before being bundled? An installment in the God of War franchise is going to sell consoles, when the highest selling game moved 3 million or so units? But a game in a series that always sells around 10 million (or more) won't move consoles?

when people see uncharted 2 and god of war 3 they will definitly want to play it.but notice i didnt only mention these to games.ff13 was the main reason thousands bought a ps3 just check the comments about ff13 not exclusive anymore on loads of gaming sites to see.i dont see people buying a ps3 just for gran turismo.i didnt see gran turismo prologue move many consoles for them.

2009 is make or break for the fortunes of PS3 and we will have to wait to see how it unfolds.

Around the Network

OMG, another "PS3 doomed thread" I Thought Benga Benga Banned them? OT : If people think PS3 will sell less when it gets cheaper and Games like GT5 , GoW3, FFXIII are released, they need serious help. PS3 is STILL 400$ FFS!!

geddesmond2 said:
Esmoreit said:
geddesmond2 said:
Esmoreit said:
geddesmond2 said:

eu ps forums,playstation underground,resistance.net,ps3 throphies,game.ie.im not gonna list them all.yes people do go on these sites even if they dont have a ps3.they use these sites to get info on there consols and the ps forums have thousands of ps2 owners without ps3s whos waiting for these games.you see uncharted may have not sold fast at the start because its a new francise but 3 mil for a new francise is good.it may not be a big selling point for ps3 but when people see the upcoming trailers for uncharted 2 they will want to buy it even if they never played the first one and with all the other games coming ps3 will be a must have.

Those are purely PS forums for dedicated playstation enthusiasts. They would have bought a console sooner or later despite what game comes out for it this time. In other words, when any of the above mentioned games releases we will see PS3 selling, but not by any extraordinairy amount. We have seen it with LBP, GTA4, Resistance 2... all of these games where toted as boosting PS3 sales to unprecedented heights. When the salesdata came in, no bump in PS3 sales registered which makes not just me, but the entire board conspicuous of any argument that starts with: "Just wait untill these games are released". In any way, this argument has become somewhat of a joke on itself here.

The games you listed, frankly fall directly under this argument. Uncharted is great, but it did not move consoles over the year. The people that loved uncharted either bought it back then with a console, or have bought it already. If I'd be interested in a PS3 and would have heard all of these amazing stories about Uncharted, I'd have gone out of my way to pick one up by now, not wait untill part 2 releases.

GT has already shown that it can move units by the way..the prologue release saw quite a spike in PS3 sales. There is no reason to suspect that the full game will do any differently.

Anyway, welcome on these boards. I hope you stick around the upcomming year just so I can show you my point in practice.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Imagine if Sony decided to get out of the game busniess and sold their portions to M$ or less likelyto Nintendo?

"Like you know"

This is amazing, even for Vgchartz standards. Amazing.

We know the future, another thing is that we must clarify it in continous form thanks to fanboys.

In console history we had 3 times of consoles:

-Disruptors

-Market leaders who aren´t disruptors

-Consoles who aren´t market leaders and aren´t disruptors

PS3 is in the third category, their sales are good at the beginning but lower than the market leader and the disruptor console. In less time than the others they start to lose sales and power in the market and their manufacturers are forced to put another console into the next generation sooner than the disruptor or the market leader.

I heard in a lot of places that Microsoft will push Xbox 360 successor before Sony will launch their console because time frame, today Microsoft isn´t forced to release a new console sooner than the others, they aren´t in the same situation than the original Xbox, but the fact that Sony is in bad position and should make something remains.

PS3 has all the syntomps of the failed console, all of them, and the situation is sad not only because of this, it is sad because we have the fanboys who only want to hear the glorious PS3 version.