By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CNN Money-The PS3 is a Sinking Ship

@ Flame -

The issue is that this has been 3+ years in the making.

Sony could have prevented this kind of disaster, but chose not to.

They could have:
- Threw away the Cell/Mobo designs and opted for a more affordable model
- Not banked on 'We can sell 5 million Playstation 3's without a game'
- Made inroads with 3rd parties as opposed to pushing them away (Sound familiar to Nintendo in the mid 90's?)
- Cut prices and taken the billion dollar losses (not recommended, but would save the gaming division)

This is entirely Sony's fault. Not the Playstation family. Not the market. Not the developers. Not *even* the system in, and of, itself. It's entirely came down to what Sony wanted to do - push something that the average Playstation fan wanted.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
~flame said:
yeah it's pretty messed up even CNN is talking smack about sony. not a good day right now for the sony headquarters now.

Wait until February and you'll see (just after Sony's Q3 financial report).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

mrstickball said:

@ Flame -

The issue is that this has been 3+ years in the making.

Sony could have prevented this kind of disaster, but chose not to.

They could have:
- Threw away the Cell/Mobo designs and opted for a more affordable model
- Not banked on 'We can sell 5 million Playstation 3's without a game'
- Made inroads with 3rd parties as opposed to pushing them away (Sound familiar to Nintendo in the mid 90's?)
- Cut prices and taken the billion dollar losses (not recommended, but would save the gaming division)

This is entirely Sony's fault. Not the Playstation family. Not the market. Not the developers. Not *even* the system in, and of, itself. It's entirely came down to what Sony wanted to do - push something that the average Playstation fan wanted.

Yes agree look im not defending sony or anything, i do agree sony screwed up big time noonone cant deny that. it's just been a tough gen for the PS3 and sony from the Press to the sells in america. Sony is too blame for this madness!!!

Playing Assassin's Creed and Resident evil 5 <3

I dont want to be fanboy anymore...Why? it takes to much work but i will call on ppl on there B.S!!!:)

That sucks, man maybe Sony needs a price cut sooner than I thought.

Meh.

Around the Network

"And the problem for Sony isn't the recession, it's the PS3."

"It's the most expensive console on the market, $150 - $200 more than its rivals. Even if you believe the video game industry is "recession-proof" (it isn't), a tanking economy makes consumers more price-conscious"

Anyone else see how contradicting those 2 statements are?? And from reading everyone's posts the majority opinion seems to be the price being the major issue, which I tend to agree with. The mediocre game library arguement is just ignorant as almost everything is goin multiplatform anymore and all 3 consoles have good exclusives.

The author fails to even mention the real reason why sales are down from last year, and really the only reason. The economy has gone to shit and microsoft made a killer price drop at the right time. Now consumers are looking at 2 consoles that offer a very similiar experience but are at 2 drastically different price point. You can get a 360 as low as $199(which I am aware doesnt account for all sales before someone says it) while your entering price on a ps3 is $399. Even a pro is $299 which is still $100 cheaper.

Now ask yourself if your strapped for extra cash and had to choice in these times between the two which would you buy? I think to the mainstream consumer its the 360 obviously. Regardless of what hardware advantages the ps3 might come with out the box (wi-fi,bluetooth,media card readers) price point is whats the major push in such terrible economical times.

Thechalkblock said:
That sucks, man maybe Sony needs a price cut sooner than I thought.

Right now they can't there bleeding money obivously, that the thing that is keeping the PS3 afloat are the games in and blu-ray, i really dont think they'll cut the price in march.

also i dont think economy is too blame for the PS3 selling last in HD , just look at the monster sales on the Wii and the 360 the economy is not a factor in this.

I dont want to be fanboy anymore...Why? it takes to much work but i will call on ppl on there B.S!!!:)

Haha well this marks it. All of them now are on a sinking ship, or at least that's what the media says haha. All have had these articles and I'm sure back in the day PSP and DS had one too. Doesn't look good guys... unless of course you can swim.

docholliday said:

The author fails to even mention the real reason why sales are down from last year, and really the only reason. The economy has gone to shit

consoles sales for the Wii and 360 are up from last year, the econmomy is not a factor the Wii sold 2 million in november the 360 close to 900,000k...again ecomony is NOT a factor.

Isn't this the type of SONY IS DOOOOOOOMED thread that BengaBenga disallowed (unless in that one thread to bundle all those kind of topics)?