By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CNN Money-The PS3 is a Sinking Ship

Neither Sony nor MS is competing well with Nintendo here...I mean you guys who are saying anything like "360 is winning" are the same as the people yelling "OMG Xbox is ahead of Gamecube!"

When one console hits higher total sales then both competitors combined (which the Wii is JUST short of now) it kind of becomes irrelevant how 2nd place is going.

Look at the numbers, PS3 is selling almost identically to the 360 over the entire year (there might be a million console diferential after the 360 price drop but that's it) and the 360 sales are more or less flat 08 vs 07 when they should be accelerating (at least for winning consoles they accelerate at this time). The PS3 sales have doubled since last year, but they were so bad in 07 they more or less HAD to double for Sony to stay in it.

The story is more or less the same as last gen except Wii=PS2 while Xbox 360 and PS3 are Gamecube and Xbox. Who will be gamecube and who will be Xbox at the end of this gen is an open question, but it seems pretty clear neither is going to be the PS2.

I still think the PS3 has the better chance because it has room to grow (IE it can drop the price multiple times to stimulate demand) while the 360 is already at bargain basement prices and that has failed to accelerate demand. That after dropping to 199 the 360 is selling slightly worse then last year while the Wii has more then doubled in sales shows that there isn't much (if anything) the 360 can do when it comes to making any kind of a play for the sort of serious sales that get a console to 100 million. We won't know whether the PS3 can make that goal until it gets down to a 250ish price (the PS2 didn't take off till it hit 199).

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

hmm after this i expect some games for ps3 to be canceled.

i also want to point out in the NPD charts in america when you add everything up:

360 = 3.295 million

PS3 = 2.82

The 360 outsold the PS3 by 475,000 consoles in NA in 2008 so far.

Playing Assassin's Creed and Resident evil 5 <3

I dont want to be fanboy anymore...Why? it takes to much work but i will call on ppl on there B.S!!!:)

Funny how people are critising the 360 for not improving enough in it's home market of the USA which is the only market NPD measure.
You only have to look at the improvement of the 360 in Others/Europe to see what an impact the price cut has had.
The 360 was always the dominant HD console in the USA, now its worldwide (currently).

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Impulsivity said:

Look at your numbers flame. The 360 sold less this year in sep (350 '07 vs 528 '08) and virtually the same in oct (366 '07 vs 371 '08) and then only slightly better in November (770 '07 vs 836 '08)

In fact september through November sales are actually down around 100k 07 vs 08, this despite a 100 dollar price drop.

To be fair, the bump in '07, September onwards was due to Halo 3.

Around the Network
~flame said:
i also want to point out in the NPD charts in america when you add everything up:

360 = 3.295 million

PS3 = 2.82

The 360 outsold the PS3 by 475,000 consoles in NA in 2008 so far.

And 360 will probably increase it's lead by another million for the month of December.  So in total...for a year, that ps3 was suppose to bury the 360, and start competing with the wii, things are looking VERY grim heading into 2009...but wait, we are supposed to believe that ps3 will overtake 360 and start competing with wii in 2009...they missed the estimate by a year.  The price cut will do it...never mind that the ps3 has been cut in price from $599 to $399 over 2 year...THIS CUT...will be the deepest, and the surest to deliver...pluuuuuzzzeeeeeee....spare me.  While ps3 isn't doooooooom....it's certainly not going to measure up to ps2, and sony has NO ONE TO BLAME BUT ITSELF.   They when for broke and lost...360 OWNS 3rd Party, and Wii is top seller...but hey...Killzone 2 is the answer,...alone with home.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Neoraf said:
Game cancellations to arrive soon.

Inevitable.

Already there. Eight Days and The Getaway 3.

ctk495 said:
Too much sony hate in this article.

and in the thread.

Check out my game about moles ^

Really now its up to the consumer to save the PS3...

I'd think this was alright to say but their points aren't valid at all. Blu-ray is doing well and yes DVDs are still popular, they are cheap. Blu-ray jumped into the market and has stolen a % of that market where before it was just DVDs market. Game wise we all know there are some true gold worthy titles out there.

And the $200 is starting to piss me off. It's false economy. Especially once people realise you have to pay for Live, you have to pay for a HD you have to pay for Wireless and you want to watch HD movies, you have to pay for a $200+ blu-ray.

Did news articles about the X-box and GC come out like this over and over again during last generation?

Hmm, pie.