By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CNN Money-The PS3 is a Sinking Ship

Khuutra said:
chapset said:
Khuutra said:
NJ5 said:
Khuutra said:
chapset said:
SONYY IS DOOMED, that's it, who want a 60 gb playstation 3 with two controllers and 6 games for 250$ or best offer

I'll top NJ5's offer by fifty bucks if you change your signature.

Oh please remove that image.

You can block it off if you have firefox (just install the adblock extension, and then right click the image, there's an option to block it).

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I already have sigs turned off, but when I went to reply to him it jumped out at me.

I'm still willing to outbid you, though.

we are now at 300$

biding time will end in 48 hours

games are: gta4, heavenly sword, call of duty 3, assassin's creed, graw2 and warhawk

Wait, you don't have CoD4?

I retract my bid! Good day, sir!

yeah, i never even played that game, but you'll find out that warhawk is a pretty addictive game, i haven't bought any games since this summer so my game collection seems a bit old

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

"CNN Money-The PS3 is a Sinking Ship"

So, who *else* is jumping ship?

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

Wow - who will it take for Sony bots to believe Sony - and the PS3 - is taking water? Goodness - CNN Money calls it and says Sony's in trouble. Sony itself is laying off 16,000 workers - and the lineup is ok - but not stellar. Face facts - the PS3 will NEVER, EVER be the PS2. That ship has left the dock. The Wii proved that a year head start can be wiped away. The 360 proved - AGAIN - that a console with issues can still sell good. The PS2 proved that.

The lack of BC makes you buy a PS3 for one thing, maybe two. Either you get it for the games and the Blu Ray - or just the Blu Ray. The BC gave PS2 owners a reason to graduate to an early PS3. With that removed, so goes the real reason to upgrade to a PS3 from the PS2.

The lack of exclusives has also killed the PS3. Why should a person pay $399 for a PS3 that plays Blu Rays, has a few niche titles and shares most of the same lineup with a machine that does the same thing for $200 less? Plus, the 360 versions of games are cheaper faster, and perform better without mandatory installs.

I do think Sony has to stop the bleeding soon - and just reassure their investors the PS will be popular again, but not for a while.

yes... almost 18 million units in two years later it is a "sinking ship"..... I hope people know I am joking.

Is no one else sick of this shit?

Yeah, the article misses on the details. No surprise there - since when has the MSM ever gotten gaming right?

But the extent that fanboys are contorting themselves in order to explain this away is beyond self-parody. What the fuck does CNN's coverage of "Irak" have to do with this article? What, do you think CNN has two people on staff who do all their research and make up all their stories?

All these players can focus on is the Goddamn horse race - Sony has good games next year, its catching up to MS, wait for the price cut- and never mind that the race is over (Wii won). Who cares about pissing away a decade's worth of profit in less than a year - God of War 3 is coming? 16,000 jobs lost, but have you seen Home? Totally worth destroying Sony's financial structure. And hey, you all beat HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray is becoming a big blip on the DVD radar, that's gotta mean something too, right?

Pretty it up anyway you want, the console has hurt Sony badly, and they'll be spending the rest of this generation on damage recovery. What good is salvaging the Playstation brand if Sony itself is crippled in the process?

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
Just been reading this thread. Some thoughts cross my mind.

Off-topic:

1. A lot of posting with less than fully developed intellectual arguements by members with less than 100 posts. I wonder if people are joining just to defend the PS3.

2. Saying that a Mod should not participate in a discussion is just folly.

3. CNN competes with MS on news! That has already been said, but should be noted again.

4. Making sales comparisons using small datasets is also folly. (This refers to the people who are extrapolating BR-DVD sales from Black Friday).

5. CNN has never had Jack Thompson on air and called him a "video game expert (or authority or something like that)." Fox News did that. More people watch the talk shows on Fox News. But more people watched the election results on CNN.

On-topic:

1. The piece on CNN is opinion. But at least it backs up its opinions, which is more than what many here have done.

2. Sony has made many missteps this generation. Those are coming home to roost. (Taking out B/C really was not a wise thing in my opinion because it meant that people with PS2s would need to keep their old consoles -- making them free to choose their next system.).

3. LBP has not been huge in sales. 141k in US NPD in November, less than half of Wii Music. It may be a great game. It may be a critical success. But it has not moved as much product as many people thought it would.

4. Sony is getting really hurt by the Yen's increased value against the dollar. It did not prepare for it (Nintendo did a better job - at least according to another forum thread).

5. It is interesting that some people are saying Sony should drop out of the console race and concentrate on handhelds and software. It was what people said about Nintendo after the Gamecube. It was wrong then and it wrong now.

Mike from Morgantown

Indeed... plus Sony has ambitions of being THE set top box (the ultimate technological convergence.)  This has always been their plan (and it is clearly seen in the design of the PS3.  They cannot acheive this as a third pary publisher. 

Just as "the day Nintendo ceases console production is the day Nintendo leaves gaming" - I can't remember the original quote, Sony will NOT go third party. 

"with a mediocre game library" CNN is Trolling someone has to ban them. :P

Really though, the PS3 hate over the past month is just insane, these guys and so-called Pros need to STFU and keep there opinions tell them selves since alot of it is hate.

Sure PS3 took a major blow in sales but damn give it a rest already.

Soriku said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
"with a mediocre game library" CNN is Trolling someone has to ban them. :P

Really though, the PS3 hate over the past month is just insane, these guys and so-called Pros need to STFU and keep there opinions tell them selves since alot of it is hate.

Sure PS3 took a major blow in sales but damn give it a rest already.

Kinda reminds me of the Wii hate and 360 hate before :P I'm not saying I agree with them, but it's not like this is a PS3 only problem. The Wii gets bashed almost every day. The 360...eh...still gets bashed but by people busy complaining about MS moneyhatting games. Basically it's just something to be ignored.

Well, i agree i see Wii hate almost everyday to, but in the end "most" people still end up buying and/or loving it.

the PS3? not so much...

And i NEVER hear anything bad about the Xbox 360 now an days so...wtf? O_0

I don't really think the only problem is in the PS3's court. I mean look at the 360 numbers, they took a big hit on the price per console all the way down to 199 (which is more or less the lowest it goes until you are ready to get into the death of the console 99 dollar rate) and their sales are up 7%?

If they are still sitting at under a million with a big and relatively early price drop it is pretty clear they are never going to have the PS2 ignition point where things take off and they sell huge quantities of consoles. When the PS2 hit 199 it hit Wii numbers and was the sold out console everywhere.

The Wii is the one really posting growth, if anything the 360 and PS3 are equally sinking relative to the Wii. That people are obsessing over some tiny gain in 360 sales after a HUGE price drop is kind of silly. The Wii had no drop and sales more then doubled. Most of the "huge increase in 360 demand" is pretty clearly people who can't find a Wii.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel for the PS3. Once the price drops a bit sales can pick up (probably significantly) and maybe even head towards PS2 numbers for next holiday if they can get to 250 or so. On the other hand where does the 360 go to increase more then a few % points if dropping the console to under 200 dollars doesn't do it?

There seem to be a lot of PS buyers waiting for the PS3 to be cheap to take the plunge (like a lot waited for the PS2 to drop to 199 or so to take the plunge in big numbers). On the other hand the 360 is already there, and there is no real increase in sales over last year (compared to the Wii's stellar growth).

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

We will survive!

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!