By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CNN Money-The PS3 is a Sinking Ship

The Fury said:

I'd think this was alright to say but their points aren't valid at all. Blu-ray is doing well and yes DVDs are still popular, they are cheap. Blu-ray jumped into the market and has stolen a % of that market where before it was just DVDs market. Game wise we all know there are some true gold worthy titles out there.

And the $200 is starting to piss me off. It's false economy. Especially once people realise you have to pay for Live, you have to pay for a HD you have to pay for Wireless and you want to watch HD movies, you have to pay for a $200+ blu-ray.

Did news articles about the X-box and GC come out like this over and over again during last generation?

It's not false economy. People buy a game console for the games. And basically the 360 plays exactly the same games (minus some and plus some) as the PS3 for $200 less. Most people don't need wireless (I like it in Wii, but a cable in my 360 works fine), I don't pay for Xbox Live cause I hate online gaming (except Mario Kart) and the 360 is a pretty awesome upscaler. So FOR ME the only reason to buy a 360 over a PS3 was price (since my 3 must haves are FF13, RE5 and Beyond Good & Evil 2, all multiplat). Let alone what the more casual costumer will think.

And news articles like this were much less in GC/Xbox because Nintendo still made profits during the GC era and it was MS first console.

Around the Network

Why isn't this thread being closed? There's already a PS3 doooomed thread for fuck sake! Go complain there.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

*~Onna76~* said:
Why isn't this thread being closed? There's already a PS3 doooomed thread for fuck sake! Go complain there.

Right.

That article is shit, no analyses, no work of journalism... typical US mass-media crap...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
"with a mediocre game library" CNN is Trolling someone has to ban them. :P

Really though, the PS3 hate over the past month is just insane, these guys and so-called Pros need to STFU and keep there opinions tell them selves since alot of it is hate.

Sure PS3 took a major blow in sales but damn give it a rest already.

There's no hate in the article, and for crying out loud, it is their job to write about what's going on in and around big companies. A lot of investors have had high hopes on Sony, don't you think it's fair that they get informed about the mess Sony has dug itself into? Without the looming recession, Sony would have had some ways out of the hole, but now things look very difficult for them. And a big part of the problem is the PS3, like it or not. Whether it's 3 billion or 6 billion in the red, it has been a terrible investment for Sony and it doesn't really look likely they will be able to recuperate the losses in the current situation.

That's what has to be told to the investors.

Gamerace said:
OUCH!! Is right. The bad press will only hurt sales more.

But let me be the first to take you to task for what is actually a very fine games library on the PS3. Games aren't the problem, no amount of exclusives can compensate for a $200 price difference in today economy.

Problem is PS3 share almost the same library with a console that cost 200$ less.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Around the Network
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Soriku said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
"with a mediocre game library" CNN is Trolling someone has to ban them. :P

Really though, the PS3 hate over the past month is just insane, these guys and so-called Pros need to STFU and keep there opinions tell them selves since alot of it is hate.

Sure PS3 took a major blow in sales but damn give it a rest already.

Kinda reminds me of the Wii hate and 360 hate before :P I'm not saying I agree with them, but it's not like this is a PS3 only problem. The Wii gets bashed almost every day. The 360...eh...still gets bashed but by people busy complaining about MS moneyhatting games. Basically it's just something to be ignored.

Well, i agree i see Wii hate almost everyday to, but in the end "most" people still end up buying and/or loving it.

the PS3? not so much...

And i NEVER hear anything bad about the Xbox 360 now an days so...wtf? O_0

So.... people should be nice to the PS3 and not say it's doing bad or going to do bad... because it's doing bad?

Impulsivity said:

Look at your numbers flame. The 360 sold less this year in sep (350 '07 vs 528 '08) and virtually the same in oct (366 '07 vs 371 '08) and then only slightly better in November (770 '07 vs 836 '08)

In fact september through November sales are actually down around 100k 07 vs 08, this despite a 100 dollar price drop.

PS3 sales are about even from sep through nov with last year. Up about 100k in Sep and Oct vs down around 80k in Nov. Basically the PS3 is up 100k in sales over the last 3 months vs 07 while the 360 is down 100k in sales over the last three months vs 07. Do the math yourself, despite the big price drop the 360 is doing no better then last year (except maybe in the perception game).

As to the Wii, there has been a nearly 2 to 1 increase in sales with no price drop. Up 200k in sept, 300k in oct and 1 million in November to go from about 2 million in 3 months to about 3.5 million.

Nintendo is the ONLY console maker showing any significant growth (and without a price cut at that). Sony is more or less treading water (also without a price cut) posting only a modest gain. The 360, the only console WITH a price cut is actually thus far doing worse in 08 then it did in 07. This might change with december sales, but as it stands, the 360 is the only console behind last years numbers over the last few months.

For all of 08 thus far in NA (the 360s strong market) the PS3 has doubled last years sales, the Wii has doubled last years MUCH higher sales and the 360 has sales that are almost identical to last year.  From Jan through Nov the 360 is up a few percentage points at best.  Feel free to cherry pick one month out of 12, but the story is far from the "360 dominates!" one you want to tell.

Yeah it was called Halo 3.  It was a pretty big deal... and outside of like... Wii Sports, the biggest console seller this generation.

if this "ps3 doom" is a cycle this is the part of the cycle i dont like, darn if it sinks im probably stuck with this console for what s left of this gen (wife wont let me buy another one).

i hope DMeisterJ makes a lengthly comment to cheer me up he is are very optimistic guy. ill go cry myself to sleep now *sigh

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

This article might as well have been published by Microsoft. While it cites correct relevant sales figures it also has so much misinformation and bias it's ridiculous. Apparently objectivity isn't a part of their job over at cnn.

mrstickball said:

Not even Sega has squandered away their successes as quickly as Sony has.

QFT.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.