By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So Home is just about what I expected...

ssj12 said:
vlad321 said:
FishyJoe said:
I can barely tolerate half the people on XBL and they have the game to distract them. I shudder to even think what some of people would say out of boredom.

I can't wait for sound bites from Home. They shuold prove to be some of the most hilarious things on the internet. I just hope no other developers ever makes a system like this.

You do realize there are A LOT of MMO Social networks out there right? Just for obvious point, Second Life and There are MMO Social Networks. Sony isnt really innovating much past being a MMO social network to consoles. So your comment has already been hit by a train due to the fact that there are tons of them out there.

From experience from playing There and Second Life I rather think Sony pulled off a good console based system. Their mini-games are fun, the chat experience is what I would expect, graphically its quite nice, and developers get free-range to make areas for fans. Only issue is that fans arent able to code their own areas but than again we are talking consoles so a purchase based item system is fine.

I expect HOME to improve greatly fast. Sony has already improved everything 100% between the closed beta and open beta.

I meant ability to use mic to talk to the general public, meaning everyone who hasnt muted you could hear you.......... Your comment just got hit by a train and then some due to the fact you completely misunderstood my comment in the first place.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
ssj12 said:
vlad321 said:
FishyJoe said:
I can barely tolerate half the people on XBL and they have the game to distract them. I shudder to even think what some of people would say out of boredom.

I can't wait for sound bites from Home. They shuold prove to be some of the most hilarious things on the internet. I just hope no other developers ever makes a system like this.

You do realize there are A LOT of MMO Social networks out there right? Just for obvious point, Second Life and There are MMO Social Networks. Sony isnt really innovating much past being a MMO social network to consoles. So your comment has already been hit by a train due to the fact that there are tons of them out there.

From experience from playing There and Second Life I rather think Sony pulled off a good console based system. Their mini-games are fun, the chat experience is what I would expect, graphically its quite nice, and developers get free-range to make areas for fans. Only issue is that fans arent able to code their own areas but than again we are talking consoles so a purchase based item system is fine.

I expect HOME to improve greatly fast. Sony has already improved everything 100% between the closed beta and open beta.

I meant ability to use mic to talk to the general public, meaning everyone who hasnt muted you could hear you.......... Your comment just got hit by a train and then some due to the fact you completely misunderstood my comment in the first place.

hmm I thought you and Fishy were meaning something a bit deeper than that. Something along the lines of "there is a lack of things to due so people will randomly say things" and that the entire concept is poor.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
vlad321 said:
ssj12 said:
vlad321 said:
FishyJoe said:

hmm I thought you and Fishy were meaning something a bit deeper than that. Something along the lines of "there is a lack of things to due so people will randomly say things" and that the entire concept is poor.

No, things will be said whether there was something to do or not to do and that's because voice chat is on by default for everyone. The default user setting should never be "included," it should always be "excluded." It's exactly that feature which will provide ridiculous amount of hilarity. Oh man, imagine Barrens chat but with voice!

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

I've found the game spaces quite boring. The Uncharted space, Sully's Bar, has one game made of like 1985-style graphics with as few pixels as possible to create shapes. I thought that arcade game was very boring. Then there are like 3 rooms with codes you have to have to get in. Im not sure where you get the codes, but everyone there was passing them along so I downloaded those 3 rooms thinking something cool would be in one of them. But... there wasn't. It was just 3 more rooms to walk around and talk in. One room had a video that just showed a trailer of Uncharted 1. Oh, and what's with all the ads and videos being in such low res?

The Far Cry space was the same thing, basically, with a mancalla game.

Bowling was OK. Except if you tried to play by yourself, and someone sat down, it would reset your game every time they joined or left. Ice Breaker is an ok game. Used to be one of my favorite types as a kid, but now it gets boring after 2 levels. The echochrome game is pretty tough. I think I barely got 2000 points tops. The trains game was interesting, but I got bored after a few minutes.

The only things I have left to try is pool and chess. So far, I've had a very slow downloads, must be my server I'm on.... Very few people were using mics and the ones that were, would literally swear every 10 seconds and were mostly black avatars for some reason. A few small kid voices. Home doesn't censor URL spamming, so people can go around sending website addresses to everyone. The Mall only has like 2 shops that work right now, but I'm not spending money on anything like furniture or clothes.

I tried having some intelligent conversation about upcoming video games, but that just ended with some moron claiming he works for sony, last gen was better than this gen, shooters are all too easy so he doesn't play them, and he had a "bromance" with one of the black guys in the Uncharted Artifact room (which is where I was at the time).

There were also way too many people sending virtual "i'll beat your ***!" messages, and one person was actually asking a girl if she had a cell phone so they could text.... it was very creepy. However, I was also slightly shocked to find quite a few older voices... so that was a reprieve from the rest. All in all, though... unless they release more stuff like the upcoming Red Bull island, and start making Home have some sort of reward, I'll probably steer clear from now on. I gave it plenty a chance, and quite a few wasted hours, but the system just seems way to clunky and unrefined. Having to load EVERYTHING?! Like EVERY arcade game, EVERY video, every location... just took too long.

Thanks, Twestern. I will pass on getting this altogether. I can't see paying to furnish a virtual world ATM. Nah, and the review was classic. +1 for booyah!!!!

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
FishyJoe said:
Some of the comments on GAF are totally hilarious. I was rolling on the floor after this one:

I love Home. Seriously. I don't know what Sony wanted, but what it got is the best fun I've ever had. It's like the WoW Night Elf starting area come to life in the worst possible way. It's like 10% creeps, 90% griefers.

For instance, I was in the courtyard and there was this loud guy trying to pick up female avatars via his mic. He was saying things like "hey, yo, baby. Wassup". When she responded, he then ask them to add him to their friend list so he could send some pictures to her. This was creeping a few people out who decided to then go crowd around him dancing. This upset him, as you would expect, and he starts screaming violent threats at the people. "I will knock your head off. You lucky there's no hit button! I pop you right in the head!"

He tried to get the girl to invite him to a private location, but the girl ran away. He ran after her, but stopped when he found another female avatar engrossed in a rousing game of UFO. Then he started his wassup routine on her. Of course, his entourage of five or six dancing retards followed him, and once again acted as "cockblockers" to his "game". This guy is going to end up banned or in prison. Home has got to be the only place where griefers are the good guys.

I don't know what Home is supposed to be, but by golly, it is a magical place.

You are my hero for posting this.

Seconded. I'm starting to like Home already and I don't even have a PS3.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

But that to me, is sadly a big, awesome part of it all :P The socializing, and or watching how others socialize is just friggin entertaining xD Just the other day, I got to walk around with a small group of people, 6 to be exact, and we were all wearing the echochrome suit and grooving up on people standing by themselves. It was totally one of the Night at the Roxbury moments xD Of course it was all in good jest.

With the say bubbles being displayed for general chat, it's super easy to pick up on conversations. And being one of the few guys with a mic out there is almost awesome because you can communicate so much faster than they can :P

As a social experience, I think home is friggin awesome >: ) As a mini-game collection, meh, not so much. But I didn't go there to play them in the first place :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I'm having fun. I needed to practive my chess anyway.

Hmm, pie.

twesterm said:

...At about this time the wife is getting angry that I'm using the computer (I was taking notes while playing) and the TV at the same time so one thing had to give.  I fiddle around the menus for a minute, can't figure out how to quit Home so I just turn off my PS3 and come here. 

I like this home so much better than Home.

Twesterm, I'd take a real life woman over a video game. I would love my wife (when I do marry) 100% more than a video game. And it's a good thing that you went like, "screw it, I better let my wife do what she wants to do" rather than fiddle and make her more angry. Plus, video games can't give you 'pleasure' unless you are a nerd, and you know that