By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Phantom Brave - new SRPG for Wii

Kasz216 said:
Darc Requiem said:
My brother had this game on PS2 and didn't care for it very much. I haven't played it personally but it doesn't seem to be revered like other NIS games. I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of NIS on the Wii. The high userbase, low dev costs, and their small size seems to make the Wii and NIS a good match.

That's because the story wasn't focused on being funny.  Which is what NIS games basically hang their hats on.  People love the stories fall in love with them and keep grinding.

The circular movements combined with the unique ways you gain skills though makes the game head and tails above the rest in gameplay though.

Encouraging. Maybe I won't have to buy a DS to get my SRPG fix.

Who am I kidding?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Stats87 said:
The other NIS SRPG on the PS2 was Makai Kingdom

Don't forget Soul Nomad and the World Devourers.

Which probably has even better gameplay then Phantom Brave... but it's a mix of SRPG genres so i didn't include it.

It's like a regular SRPG and Ogre battle combined in some way.

ahh yes, I had a feeling I was missing one

famousringo said:
Kasz216 said:
Darc Requiem said:
My brother had this game on PS2 and didn't care for it very much. I haven't played it personally but it doesn't seem to be revered like other NIS games. I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of NIS on the Wii. The high userbase, low dev costs, and their small size seems to make the Wii and NIS a good match.

That's because the story wasn't focused on being funny.  Which is what NIS games basically hang their hats on.  People love the stories fall in love with them and keep grinding.

The circular movements combined with the unique ways you gain skills though makes the game head and tails above the rest in gameplay though.

Encouraging. Maybe I won't have to buy a DS to get my SRPG fix.

Who am I kidding?

I know how you feel.  How it works though is you gain your skills through the weapons you equip... swords, spears etc.

HOWEVER, you can equip other items as weapons that grant you skills as well.  You can swing trees at opponets, Throw Starfish, Cactus'  etc.

You gain your special effects that way... with different special attacks being tied to different stats... so you might get one attack whose damage is decided by your Magic resistance... etc so there is a lot of min-maxing that can be done.  The different element stuff is of course there as well...

You can fuse together items to make them more powerful, people to make them more powerful and get new abilties, and you can tie the special abilties that are tied to a weapon to a particular person instead by fusing the person and the weapon together.

It is not new.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Kasz216 said:

Gameplay wise it's the best Nippon Ichi SRPG out there.  Story wise it was the worst though, but only because it was more serious then the others.  It was a good story just not my kind of story.  I don't care about girls with no friends who want friends.

Looks like it's just a port.

Still promising in regards to future NIS development.

That's precisely what I thought. It was the story/characters that made Disgaea so damned memorable, I just thought the game lacked charm compared to their other titles.

I haven't played Soul Nomad, would you/anyone recommend?

Around the Network
pearljammer said:
Kasz216 said:

Gameplay wise it's the best Nippon Ichi SRPG out there.  Story wise it was the worst though, but only because it was more serious then the others.  It was a good story just not my kind of story.  I don't care about girls with no friends who want friends.

Looks like it's just a port.

Still promising in regards to future NIS development.

That's precisely what I thought. It was the story/characters that made Disgaea so damned memorable, I just thought the game lacked charm compared to their other titles.

I haven't played Soul Nomad, would you/anyone recommend?

I'd recommend it... though i haven't gotten to far into it because i started replaying Ogre Battle after a while.

Gig is a hilarious character.... multiple endings... and the different things you can do like kidnap people to be in your army can be fun.

Strategy rpgs on the PS2 from NIS Eternal Mana ( I think that is what it was called and that it was a strategy rpg instead of just an rpg there might have been a couple of these I'm feeling too lazy to look it up right now but it was about alchemy and there might have been an offshoot that took place at a school for alchemy ), La Pucelle Tactics, Disgaea I and II, Phantom Brave, and Makai Kingdom.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

pearljammer said:

Hmm, is this just a PS2 port? Or is it a new game of the same series? It very much looks like a port, although I'd love to be proven wrong.

Out of the NIS SRPG's on the PS2, this was likely my least favourite that I played behind Disgaea 1 & 2 and La Pucelle Tactics. Regardless, it was a good game and should be played by any SRPG fan who may have missed it last gen.

So considering the developer, the weakest is still pretty damn good.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Soriku said:
So the only thing negative about it is the darker story? Eh...well, I like more serious stories, and I haven't played a NIS game before, so it would be bad for me :P But why can't NIS have more serious games and funny games at the same time?

Isn't that an oxymoron? And if you want to play it Soriku, why don't you get it on PS2? It's not likely that much change, given the nature of NIS, and it's around $10.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Is Phantom brave a PSX game before? And whats SRPG?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg