By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Phantom Brave - new SRPG for Wii

My brother had this game on PS2 and didn't care for it very much. I haven't played it personally but it doesn't seem to be revered like other NIS games. I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of NIS on the Wii. The high userbase, low dev costs, and their small size seems to make the Wii and NIS a good match.

Around the Network
pearljammer said:

"I've played FF Tactics A2, and enjoyed it very much. I'm assuming the first FF Tactics is more of the same (a good thing)?"

I find that they're very different from one another. While I enjoyed FFT Advance, it's nothing in comparison to the original. You really should do yourself the favour.

I can understand what you mean by the GBA Fire Emblems, they do feel different. Like you, I started with the GC/Wii ones and am used to it having voices and having a certainly level of epicness (for lack of a better word) to them that the GBA ones seem to lack. That being said, I still very much enjoyed them but not near as much as the GC/Wii ones.

Oh, it wasn't that. It was just that playing it on a PC, through an emulator was weird. The game itself was fine.

Gameplay wise it's the best Nippon Ichi SRPG out there.  Story wise it was the worst though, but only because it was more serious then the others.  It was a good story just not my kind of story.  I don't care about girls with no friends who want friends.

Looks like it's just a port.

Still promising in regards to future NIS development.

Darc Requiem said:
My brother had this game on PS2 and didn't care for it very much. I haven't played it personally but it doesn't seem to be revered like other NIS games. I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of NIS on the Wii. The high userbase, low dev costs, and their small size seems to make the Wii and NIS a good match.

That's because the story wasn't focused on being funny.  Which is what NIS games basically hang their hats on.  People love the stories fall in love with them and keep grinding.

The circular movements combined with the unique ways you gain skills though makes the game head and tails above the rest in gameplay though.

Kenology said:
Port confirmed or a new game in the PB series?

It's a port.  I recognize most of those screens from PB 1.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
So the only thing negative about it is the darker story? Eh...well, I like more serious stories, and I haven't played a NIS game before, so it would be bad for me :P But why can't NIS have more serious games and funny games at the same time?

I wouldn't call it more serious...

It's just more... eh, less trying to be funny.  I mean there are still funny parts in it and all but it's more "traditional" type stuff.

They still throw comedy in there... and it's a lot more cheery then you'd expect a game to be about a girl who's parents were murdered and who is shunned and predjudiced against because she can see and summon spirits to help her in battle....

but it's not like... dark or anything.

It's a good game... little more complex since everyone can get more techniques by like 10 then they should in most NIS games.

Also, the characters being spirits leave the battle after so many turns so there is a level of strategy there as well.

keep the games coming, keep um coming...

The other NIS SRPG on the PS2 was Makai Kingdom

Soriku said:
Sweet. New port

fixed

Stats87 said:
The other NIS SRPG on the PS2 was Makai Kingdom

Don't forget Soul Nomad and the World Devourers.

Which probably has even better gameplay then Phantom Brave... but it's a mix of SRPG genres so i didn't include it.

It's like a regular SRPG and Ogre battle combined in some way.