By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - game of the year reveals truth about GTA4

its only a perspective thing. Fitness, mathematics, english tests, training a dog

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

Of course, I think Game of the Year deserves to go to a game instead of an overly glorified fitness device that only became popular because it was hyped by Ellen Degeneris.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Since when big sales mean that something has quality, it sales great because the target audience is huge

The gaming industry is gradually getting closer and closer to the movie and music industry where mainstream products that can attract a large number of people are becoming more and more popular by the year were quality products seam to cater to a specific group that wants more then pure entertainment

I don't have a game of the year because from all the games ive played there was none that deserved it the only ones i could imagine having the title would be valkirye cronicles or LBP and i havent played them to see if they deserve it

It's not about sales at all. If you were honest with yourselves and truly saw what Miyamoto sees in his attempts at redefining video games and their context as something completely different then you would understand why it / he deserves credit.

GTA4 is the same game as GTA 3, thats been the one consistent gripe about it. Its not art when you do the same thing again and again.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I don't think that GTA4 paid for its reviews. I do think the scores are grossly inflated, but that GTA4's scores are only slightly more so than the average HD console game's scores are.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
BTFeather55 said:
Of course, I think Game of the Year deserves to go to a game instead of an overly glorified fitness device that only became popular because it was hyped by Ellen Degeneris.

Yeah Ellen's show is so popular in Europe and Japan. They eat up her every word.

Signature goes here!

Nobody watches Ellen. Oprah on the other hand... she owns Wii Fit and brings it up every ten minutes.

Okay, I've watched Oprah all of twice. But still.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

MGS4 will probably win the goty.

Its tough but I think GTA 4 will win GOTY. It had it's faults but in the end the gameplay was there. I still play it occasionally to try to reach the 100% mark. The only other game that can win it is MGS 4. MGS 4 was a good game (not great or spectacular). The cutscenes in MGS 4 were great but the gameplay was very sparse because of the cutscenes. If I had to choose between the two for GOTY I go with GTA 4.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Even in 2006 Wii Sports wasn't rated the best game by all sites. How can a game that constantly brings people back to it time and time again not be the best game of the year.

A game that sells in the top 5 in all regions for over 6 months should qualify, irrelevent of what peoples definition is of a game, and it shames me to think that it shouldn't just because its not what you define as a game. Thats kinda stupid, ignorant and thoughtless if u ask me.