By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - So is VG Chartz going to be using the 100% method for rating games now?

theprof00 said:
theRepublic said:
theprof00 said:
theRepublic said:
theprof00 said:
theRepublic said:
I hope not.

A 100 point scale is pointlessly accurate. There is no real way to differentiate between a 83 and 84.

PLEASE, stay with the letter grades. Provide an explanation for those who don't understand the American grading system.

There are plenty of ways to differentiate an 84 from an 83.

One is that an 84 is a B and an 83 is a B- :P

How about a 84 and 85? 

A game that is a little bit better than a game stradling the B/B- fence

Opinions a far too subjective to be that accurate.

Well, yeah but that's why meta analyses work, because they find a great looking average.

IMO, i liked the old pc magazine one where 3 people gave different scores and they averaged them

A singular review is not a meta-analysis.  It doesn't need to be either.  Everyone could score on a 10 or 5 point scale, then the reviews would be averaged to come up with a score to as many decimal places as you want.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

The letter grades are only better than the 100% system in this case BECAUSE they are less "accurate" (note... you cannot be accurate in scoring a game, this is not maths)

Ignoring this fact,... the letter grades are no different.

There should not be a score that can be easily equated to a number scheme because that is what has been causing "score inflation" and discourages people from reading the content of th review, and the only purpose of a grade/score should be to help pull you in to read the review.

----

I feel I put my best argument against this with my posts in this thread:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=50667

And this statement by Khuutra is pretty good too
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=1457111

----

A "grade/score" at the end of a review should not be used to compare the said game to others, because that discourages people to read the review, instead relying on the score to assume the game must be amazing/awful.

A smaller scale like with 5 points or less encourages you to read the review, because you may have been on the fence about whether you wish to buy a game, and if it gets a 4 you would then check the review to see what good/bad things in the game the reviewer found and whether you can tolerate any problems.

Wow--now we're going to get into the 'X game is three percent better than Y game!' arguments again.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
Wow--now we're going to get into the 'X game is three percent better than Y game!' arguments again.

That is exactly why I don't want our reviews on a 100 point scale.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Does it matter that a 5-point system is generally equated with something approaching journalistic integrity? At least, it's used for every other medium, and exists in contrast to the one-upsmanship inherent in the 100-point system's use.

Around the Network

Ugh, how was the 5-star system the least voted on? Freakin lame... really hopin that poll isn't what makes (or breaks?) the (bad) decision

c0rd said:

Ugh, how was the 5-star system the least voted on? Freakin lame... really hopin that poll isn't what makes (or breaks?) the (bad) decision

People are most comfortable with what they have.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=1526593

Do you see this post? This is a perfectly reasonable post and I am in no way knocking the poster for saying what he says therein.

But I do not ever, ever want to live under a system that means this post makes sense.

I expect them to.

4 ≈ One

@Khuutra: It's not hard to be better than Mirror's Edge. It's not like "Party Babiez is as good as Mirror's Edge" is any better, is it?

I like the 100% method. It's best for comparing. What is easier to choose between, 94 and 89 or A- and A-?

Of course, you still read the review, but scores give an at-a-glance impression of the quality of a game. Also, with the letter scale, only the A and B scores are ever used. And most of us have no idea what they mean, other than Metacritic's awful A+ = 100, A = 100 chart.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective