By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people still use "The Ten Year Plan" excuse?

I wonder if these people spouting it have actually taken the time to think about what a "Ten Year Plan" requires.

Sony want the PS3 to be on the market for 10 years just like the PS1 and the PS2 (which will reach it).

Sony want consumers to believe it will be on the market for 10 years.

But Microsoft and Nintendo do too .. They are no different, the only reason Sony and its fans bang on about TTYP is because both of the previous PS consoles have lasted that long. Sony does not decided how long a console is out on the market for. Consumers do.

Thats really all there is too say. The PS3 will not be in the position of the PS1/PS2 this generation, its been out in the market for 2 years and its still in 3rd place selling the least, yes this is because of its price, but so what? it doesn't change the facts! When PS3 price drops it will sell a lot more but that will not be enough, Wii has stolen the hearts of casual gamers and can you really make a comparison between the PS3 and the PS1/2 other than the fact they are both made by Sony and bare the Playstation name.

I think most people expect this generation to last longer than previous ones. and there is a chance the PS3 can be selling for 10 years, but if it is you can bet the 360 and Wii will be too.

Around the Network

The 10 year plan was a fairly well educated promise made by Sony when they assumed we sold 100mill + with ps1 and ps2 each so we will be able to float on through once again. Clearly not how thing's turned out in the slightest, was made obvious from day 1 to day 1000 ( or close lol ).

But im sure they still plan on having the ps3 out for those 10years. Will it sell ? No ( well it well sell, but not very well )  , will it be profitable ? No. ( could get close to breaking even though )

If sony does go ahead and make a lower cost PS4, then will the PS3 even be relevant?

I would assume that the PS3 will be priced down to $250 when the PS4 is launched at around $400, So yes it will be a lot harder for the PS3 to survive ten years, as opposed to the PS2.

But all sony has to do is decrease their production way down. The ten year plan may relate more towards support for 10 years, as opposed to big sales. 10 years from the PS3 launch, I could easily see PS3 software still being created. Maybe then (by the time the PS4 is out) Japanese developers will get their shit together for PS3 development.
Always 1 generation behind.

stores will still have the PS3 in very low stock. Once the PS2 is no longer supported, there will be a year or two, and then the PS3 will take the place of the PS2... when the PS4 is out.

It is the ultimate example of a two tiered approach.

So I both agree and disagree with you

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Instance56 said:
The 10 year plan was a fairly well educated promise made by Sony when they assumed we sold 100mill + with ps1 and ps2 each so we will be able to float on through once again. Clearly not how thing's turned out in the slightest, was made obvious from day 1 to day 1000 ( or close lol ).

But im sure they still plan on having the ps3 out for those 10years. Will it sell ? No , will it be profitable ? No.

You left off:  will anyone be making games for it, will anyone be stocking it in their store.  If those two stop then either Sony create PS3s and store them in a warehouse until they run out of space (and then)/or Sony discontinues the product.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

I understand what your saying but look at the gamecube and xbox. The Xbox could have sold more but it wasn't worth it for M$ and the Gamecube made a profit but Nintendo axed production. If a console doesn't sell well there is no reason to keep it on the market.

Around the Network

why do you deny the ten year plan so much? PSP will most likely make it and it aint market leader.

I forget to mention though. The real thing that holds the 10year plan back from being sucsessfull is the Wii will be like the ps2 once the next gen starts. Will be the console still selling very well. And thier's not really room for 2 consoles from a previous generation to sell well together.

The real answer is, because PS3 is way over it's time, the system is more future proof than the other ones. Now, just because it didn't sell as much as PS2 doesn't mean the system can't be out for as long if Sony supports the system.

Another thing that you should know, is that PS3 is in it's infancy as of now, outside few first party studios games, no company took advantages of the system, we really don't know what it's capable of until now. But I am sure whatever you saw on 2005 E3 press conference is completely possible on PS3, so two years form now, the system, might be something you have never thought of.

better than the 4 year plan the last MS console followed...

Seece better get all of your sony hate out now while the 360 is doing good... might not be able to in a while...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

PS3 will be lucky to survive for 7 years let alone 10 years. PS3 slow console sales and getting killed by the Wii60 is destroying the moral of Sony fans worldwide.
Sony has invested a lot of money into Blu-Ray on the PS3 and it has backfired so far. PS3 is still making an average loss of around $100 per PS3 sold. PS3 consoles were initially sold for a much higher per console sold in the first year of the PS3.
DVDs are continuing to heavily outsell Blu-Rays.
5 years on from now Blu-Ray will be superseded with better technology and the online distribution is a much cheaper alternative than an expensive disc storage device.