By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - (Rumor) Microsoft first party games lower MSRP? (Rumor)

What follows is a rumor from an unknown quantity. So I cannot affix any qualification as to validity. I also expressly forbid the copying, pasting, rephrasing, or linking said rumor to any external site. This rumor is only intended for this communities consideration. I have no capacity whatsoever to verify what was related to me. So it should be considered highly toxic. I am in no way connected with any entity which would entitle me to any special knowledge. Nor could I even vouch for the source in that regard. Bottom line don't print this shit on your site or blog it is not worthy. Rumors are like assholes everyone has one, and most of the time all that comes of it is crap. Why is this here then the answer is simple its thought provoking, and relevant to console and game sales in as to how something like this would effect them. Now that I have put off the vultures that are too lazy to work for a living.

This is the story as I understand it to be. Microsoft has developed a dual pricing strategy for next year around their new first party games. They will come in two flavors standard and economy. No these are probably not the technical terms, but they serve as a good way to differentiate the two classes of games. Standard is what you usually get, and what you usually pay. Economy games are no less well made, but they will retail for a third less to half less. The only reference I was given was the United States, as in games launch priced at forty, and thirty dollars. Further more the source only claims knowledge of this region. However assumption on my part is that something similar will go in effect in other regions.

The source indicated knowledge of at least six such titles that will be available for retail next year. I want to specify here that these are not titles published by Microsoft. These are titles developed by Microsoft's in house studios. Thus first party if anyone is confused. They are supposedly retail packages, and not expansions for current games. My subjective opinion is that this may be the pricing strategy Microsoft is adopting for games developed by Rare. Seeing as Rare already released two titles this year at this price point. However six titles is a rather large commitment for one in house developer. So I thought perhaps the next game from Lionhead, and a game from Bungie. The later if the source is confused by the difference between a second and first party.

This if true could have a major impact on the console wars next year. Having one high definition player fully embrace a dual priced system in earnest as a keystone of their strategy would most likely compel the other player to do the same. Which is a winning scenario for gamers. Then again as the coin has been termed it can also be viewed as predatory pricing. Forcing the competitor to concede software profits to stay competitive. Either way I am stoked at least I may get a few new games next year that will not be hitting my wallet hard. Anyone have any thoughts?

Around the Network

cheap games= cheap gameplay, you get what you pay for in this world

Well we know Halo 3:ODST will not be a full priced game as Bungie has already stated this.

I can see this being Microsofts effort to rope in some of the casual crowed combining a very cheap sku with cheap games. Might work out well for them as this strategy continues to push the price difference between the 360 and the PS3, especially in these hard economic times.

I doubt it will take any sales away from the wii but it will probably help MS continue its gained momentum over the PS3 well into 09

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

there have been a few budget first party games from MS using this two price tier system. it would not surprise me in the least to see them push it.... ah kyliedog your out in the old world you guys do get jacked on prices , it was retailed at 39.99 and a lot of retailers have already cut it to 34 here in the states

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

GT5:P
Warhawk
SOCOM
QFB
Disgea

All launched at lower than a 60$ price tag.

Around the Network

GT:P was just a demo so you can take that off your list but it would be interesting to see this dual price stragery because it would be easier to sell a single player game at a lower price plus you have the bonus of having a cheap system plus inexpensive games to boot.

"

It does make sense... It fits their previous actions, so I will call this rumour plausable.

I doubt its got anything to do with Sony, more its about games which do not justify a full price-tag on launch and tend to only sell at reduced prices. Im picking they are taking a lower cut on these titles for third parties to encourage adoption.

Tease.

Andres9888 said:

GT:P was just a demo so you can take that off your list but it would be interesting to see this dual price stragery because it would be easier to sell a single player game at a lower price plus you have the bonus of having a cheap system plus inexpensive games to boot.

And yet over 2.5million spent 40 dollars on it.... damn thats gotta sting since it sold more than Forza 2.

Max King of the Wild said:
Andres9888 said:

And yet over 2.5million spent 40 dollars on it.... damn thats gotta sting since it sold more than Forza 2.

and that sets a terrible precedent for demos in the future i dont want to pay for demos and crap like that could ruin it for everyone. 

edit

also forza 2 is at 4.18 million, gtp 2.39  though i do expect the next real GT to out sell forza2, and most likely forza 3

edit 2

jaret and labonte stock car racing was the best racer back on the ps1 and im still pissed people flcoked to gt.... JLSR had damage on licenced cars in the ps1 erra why has it taken so long for GT to do that 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Max King of the Wild said:
Andres9888 said:

I believe someone got owned.