By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So Resident evil 5 will release in the same time frame as Killzone 2

ZenfoldorVGI said:
makingmusic476 said:
Sardauk said:
badgenome said:
I don't think Resident Evil 5 will cannibalize Killzone 2's sales like COD:WaW did Resistance 2's. They're not nearly as comparable - not even the same genre - so it's not the same.

Same genre, no ... but same population yes...

It is a risk to me....especially for the PS3 which is not that of an exclusivities mover....

Anyhow, KZ2 will probably appeal more players in the US and RE5 more players from Japan ...

The Resident Evil series is dying in Japan.  Resident Evil 1-3 sold over 1.5 million a piece on the PlayStation in Japan (Resdient Evil 2 actually hit 2.3 millino), while the GameCube and PlayStation 2 versions of Resident Evil 4 COMBINED barely broke 700k.  Resident Evil 5 is looking to be even more of a departure from the traditional Resident Evil experience than the fourth, so I expect even lower sales for the game in the region.

It seems Japanese gamers have good taste.

Resident Evil 5 will still do MUCH better than Killzone 2 in Japan, however.

Ah, makin, come on bro. Not buying RE4 is good tastes? No way!

It's not necessarily good taste, cause RE4 is a great game. It is however a great signal to Capcom that the series is going down the shitter. Give me  a fucking scary game, with barely enough ammo and herbs to survive instead of a co-op Gears of Evil. I'll buy RE5 day 1, it will probably be the only game I'll ever be able to compete in the Achievement League and I'll love it to death, but still I'll be crying about the death of the Resident Evil series.

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
makingmusic476 said:
Sardauk said:
badgenome said:
I don't think Resident Evil 5 will cannibalize Killzone 2's sales like COD:WaW did Resistance 2's. They're not nearly as comparable - not even the same genre - so it's not the same.

It is a risk to me....especially for the PS3 which is not that of an exclusivities mover....

Anyhow, KZ2 will probably appeal more players in the US and RE5 more players from Japan ...

The Resident Evil series is dying in Japan. Resident Evil 1-3 sold over 1.5 million a piece on the PlayStation in Japan (Resdient Evil 2 actually hit 2.3 millino), while the GameCube and PlayStation 2 versions of Resident Evil 4 COMBINED barely broke 700k. Resident Evil 5 is looking to be even more of a departure from the traditional Resident Evil experience than the fourth, so I expect even lower sales for the game in the region.

It's not necessarily good taste, cause RE4 is a great game. It is however a great signal to Capcom that the series is going down the shitter. Give me a fucking scary game, with barely enough ammo and herbs to survive instead of a co-op Gears of Evil. I'll buy RE5 day 1, it will probably be the only game I'll ever be able to compete in the Achievement League and I'll love it to death, but still I'll be crying about the death of the Resident Evil series.

Why is it Gears of Evil cause of the cover system? GTA4 had it does that make it Gears theft auto?

idk if RE would kill killzone 2 sales cause killzone comes out like a month before RE, not to mention its two completely different games. and for ppl that would have to choose, if killzone 2 is hott, they eventually get it if there into shooters

thekitchensink said:
They aren't really comparable whatsoever. RE5 will pwn Killzone 2 in sales, but KZ2 will still sell whatever it was going to.

what a crystal ball you have there.

but seriously find hard to predict kz2 sales.

and RE5 it's not going to be that huge either, (over 5 millions).

Nah, Killzone 2 is released two weeks before, is a multiplat, and is in a completely different genre.

I can't see it affecting the sales by much. It would be like Heavy Rain releasing in the same month as Halo 3: ODST.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Oops please ignore ;)

I don't think they will affect each other's sales by much of a margin at all.

4 ≈ One

BengaBenga said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
makingmusic476 said:
Sardauk said:
badgenome said:

The Resident Evil series is dying in Japan.  Resident Evil 1-3 sold over 1.5 million a piece on the PlayStation in Japan (Resdient Evil 2 actually hit 2.3 millino), while the GameCube and PlayStation 2 versions of Resident Evil 4 COMBINED barely broke 700k.  Resident Evil 5 is looking to be even more of a departure from the traditional Resident Evil experience than the fourth, so I expect even lower sales for the game in the region.

It's not necessarily good taste, cause RE4 is a great game. It is however a great signal to Capcom that the series is going down the shitter. Give me  a fucking scary game, with barely enough ammo and herbs to survive instead of a co-op Gears of Evil. I'll buy RE5 day 1, it will probably be the only game I'll ever be able to compete in the Achievement League and I'll love it to death, but still I'll be crying about the death of the Resident Evil series.

You do know that Cliffy said he directly copied RE4 to creat Gears 1 and 2, and his next game is a survival horror game, because of that series, right? If anything, it's Gears of Evil.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Here's my thoughts:

Any gamer, without exception, who would purchase Killzone 2, no matter how good it is as a FPS, over the sequel to Resident Evil 4, it committing blasphemy in my eyes.

There are FPS, there are games, and there are Resident Evil 4. It was, without exception, my favorite game of the PS2 era, and RE5 deserves out sales just because it is related to RE4 in any way.

RE4 influenced every third person shooter, and horror game that came after it, with its innovative and fantastically fun gameplay. Not only that, however, the game packed a majorly huge campaign, and the merc mode was without a doubt the best "minigame" ever introduced.

Without RE4, Gears of War and Dead Space either might not exist, or wouldn't be as good. It was a peerless example of quality in graphics, gameplay, and content.

I don't care how good KZ2 is, what console it's on, how good it lucks, how big of a fanboy you are, if you only buy exclusive games, whatever. In my opinion, anyone who chooses to buy any FPS over the sequel to Resident Evil 4 is committing blasphemy.

Also, I don't care what your opinions are about RE4. I don't care if you hated the game, or thought it was over-rated, you're not going to piss me off about it. In my opinion, RE4 being an epic achievement is a fact. It's the Godfather 2 of gaming. If you "didn't like it" you probably have bad tastes. Yes, in fact, opinions can't be wrong, so that's why they invented the term "bad tastes." Your opinion isn't wrong, it's just bad.

I think I picked up what you were trying to say there :D

If not, let me explain my train of thought:

Resident Evil 4 is, in this case, The Godfather. Resident Evil 5 is an attempt to piggyback off Resident Evil 4, like the Godfather II tried to piggyback off The Godfather. So what you're saying is that Resident Evil 5 will be bad...

Seriously, it's not survival horror anymore. It's a third person shooter. They went from pure horror to pure shooter in two games.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

The one thing that kinda bothered me about RE4. It wasn't scary. But the game was still epic.

As for this matter. If Killzone 2 was released 2 weeks after RE5 than maybe it'll be affected. But because of the head start, people probably won't be able to resist getting Killzone 2 and go for it. If anything, I'm thinking RE5(PS3) sales will be affected by Killzone 2. But then again who knows. Most people should be able to get enough money for the 2 games if they really wanted it.
Being 2 totally different game is another. With WaW and R2. Both were pretty much bought for the multiplayer. Most people aint going to be playing 2 at the same time. Unless you bought it for the single player than ok.
You can finish RE5 and go to Killzone's MP without a prob. So I don't see too much prob. In the long run, sales won't really be affected. Word of mouth will keep the legs going.