By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 not performing as bad as some claim?

@ mrstickball

Cell prcoessor (right now, a piece of junk, and every dev has said they can't use it properly
There's a learning curve but developers are already mastering the cell faster than I personally expected. Problems relate more to multi-platform developers who have to learn PS3 specific development tactics and have to make PS3 specific adjustments to their game engines if they want to harvest some of the PS3's true potential. In July 2005 I wrote:
I understand that games developers may not be too fond of the idea of having to learn new ways to write their software. But according to the article at least they do seem to believe that multithreaded software is the way forward.
t will probably take some time before developers manage to get the most out of this platform, as has for example also been the case with the classic Amiga chipsets. The early Amiga games don't compare well to the complex graphics used by for instance game like Elfmania or Lion Heart.
So maybe this is why I am not as surprized as others by some PR statements. Please note, many actual developers are loving what's possible with the Cell, it's mostly the company PR spokesman who don't like this, allowing their devs to learn and additional dev costs for the PS3 version isn't what they like to do ($$$), so they rather make versions near identical across platforms. So I expect the most impressive games we will see from PS3-only projects (Sony projects, partner projects).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

MikeB said: @ HappySqurriel Blu-Ray has its disadvantages; the main one being that the player is expensive, and the transfer rate is pretty low. Due to mass production, Blu-Ray related production costs have already dropped significantly. HD DVD and Blu-Ray disc production costs are now about on par, in some cases scratch/smudge protected Blu-Ray disc production is even cheaper. With regard to transfer rates the PS3's Blu-Ray drive's average reading speed of a Blu-Ray disc is faster than the XBox 360's DVD drive while reading Dual Layer DVDs. XBox 360 drive speed = (3.3x to 8x) 7,46MB/s average reading speed of a Dual Layer disc: Drive specs The PS3's Blu-Ray drive reads at a sustained 9MB/s.
Means nadda if sony won't lower the PS3's price. If Blu Ray is cheaper in some cases or on par...why is the PS3 600 big ones?

Erik Aston said: If Nintendo has the market share, they'll get the games, and people won't care if it isn't HD. And if the PS3 got a PSThwiimote, it would still be like getting 2 consoles for the price of 2. And actually, they'd be behind in developing Wii Sports-esque software, too. That applies to 360 also.
some game types: action, sports, stealth, rpgs, etc, will always look to graphical enhancements. MGS4 will not be on the Wii. neither will FF13. neither will halo 3. Do I really need to go on? there will be plenty of exclusives between the 360 and ps3 that gamers will want to play. most gamers that own a wii will also own a ps3 or 360. there are just too many games that will require the ps3 or 360 to play.

Death2009 said: Means nadda if sony won't lower the PS3's price. If Blu Ray is cheaper in some cases or on par...why is the PS3 600 big ones?
first of all, he was comparing blu-ray to hd-dvd. if you want hd-dvd (without hd-dvd games) on the 360 you'll need $600 (unless you get the useless core). secondly, it costs $600 because it has 40GB+ more space, wireless connectivity, and card readers. if you don't want that and only want a few GB more space (because the 360 uses quite a bit more of the "20GB"), it's $500. that extra $100 gets you a blu-ray player, blu-ray games, ability to use any usb keyboard, mouse, and webcam, free internet service, an HDMI port, etc. I think that's $100 well spent. if you want a 360 (15gb version or however much space is left) with an hd-dvd player, it costs you $100 more than a ps3 with all the same functionality...yeah...600 "big ones"

Interesting perspectives here, IMO the true next-gen wars are yet to begin though, current gen is still doing very well (PS2), consoles not being available globally yet and there are still shortages. Considering the PS1's huge delays for other countries compared to Japan and the console's initial slow sales, did anyone expect the PS1 to eventually sell over 100 million units at the time? @ windbane Nice post!

if you want a 360 (15gb version or however much space is left) with an hd-dvd player, it costs you $100 more than a ps3 with all the same functionality...
Except a XBox 360 with HD DVD drive isn't really on par with the PS3's Blu-Ray drive, the HD DVD drive cannot be used for gaming and one thing games seem to do well over the years is that they tend to expand significantly in terms of data usage. Also the XBox 360 HD DVD addon is half the speed of the PS3's Blu-Ray drive. Finally a Blu-Ray disc stores more data per layer and includes impressive protective coatings (must pass steelwool rubbing tests). With regard to movie playback, the movie quality is about on par between both formats, but in theory due to Blu-Ray's higher bitrate, while using identical codecs Blu-Ray movies should be able to produce better picture quality (next to this the PS3's HDMI 1.3 is also a factor here).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Stromprophet - The x-box 360 has ALOT more power than your every-day home PC. (even the new ones) Welcome to the diffrence from a x86, to a RISC.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Stromprophet said: I'd disagree that M$ will be able to sit. Which is in fact why they announced the new system they are coming out with to update the 360. A tri-core processor is already behind the game as Intel is already making Quadcores now. The cell in the PS3 has 1 cpu and 7 spes (1 in reserve so not used) so technically the Cell is an 8-core unit. I'd say the PS3 can wait the longest of all of them in terms of life cycle. It also has the most room to grow and continue improving graphics and functionality over the years. Motion is probably long term. It's a logical step in not only video game playing but also computer operation in general. It is especially so in the consideration of virtual reality, which is the long term video game mission. So motion is probably here to stay. I agree, Wii will not stay strong. At least not in the US or Europe. Maybe in Japan, where they seem much less concerned with graphics at the moment.
The Cell is NOT technically an 8-core unit. The SPU's of the Cell are extremely limited in what they can do in comparison to a full core. In the case of the PS3, the Cell has a single core and six spus. One spu is turned off to increase the Cell's yield and the one spu is reserved to the systems OS)

@ Darc Requiem

The Cell is NOT technically an 8-core unit. The SPU's of the Cell are extremely limited in what they can do in comparison to a full core. In the case of the PS3, the Cell has a single core and six spus. One spu is turned off to increase the Cell's yield and the one spu is reserved to the systems OS)
The PPE is a 64 bit processor core (with an Altivec unit), the 7 SPEs are 128-bit processor cores. SPEs offer both enormous strenghts as well as some weaknesses compared to more ordinary processor cores. But at the uses they excel they are many times more powerful than traditional processor cores. One of the SPEs is fully reserved for the SystemOS running in the background and should soon be put to some good use. IMO this can be looked at as a good thing as new additional system-wide features should not impact game performance.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Kwaad said: Stromprophet - The x-box 360 has ALOT more power than your every-day home PC. (even the new ones) Welcome to the diffrence from a x86, to a RISC.
You're High end PCs should outperform both the PS3 and XBox 360 but it isn't really a fair battle: http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2870&p=24 http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2870&p=22 In order to have your Geforce 8800 GTX SLi based system you will spend $600 per graphics card, to have the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 you'll spend about $1200 for the CPU ... After you spend $3000 you'll have a PC which destroys the XBox 360 and PS3 in performance; at the same price you could have bought the XBox 360, PS3, Wii, DS and PSP and (about) 30 games ...

HappySqurriel said: Louie said: The biggest problem the PS3 has is it´s late release. You can cry for Metal Gear and Final Fantasy again and again - at the time the killer apps launch in Japan the Wii will probably have a huge Userbase. A little Story: in 1996 there was a company called Nintendo releasing their new System the N64. Nintendo had been the market leader for a long time, the NES and Super NES sold like hot cakes with cheese. And then Nintendo launched the N64... and it sold less than the Playstation, a console that was thought to fail against the gaming giant. Nintendo´s problems? they released their N64 too late, they used the wrong format... and they were to arrogant to keep the 3rd parties with them. Of course, the console war wasn´t over - Nintendofans claimed: "Wait till Zelda 64 and Golden Eye come out! And wait for the next Rare game!" Then Zelda finally arrived: It sold more than 7 milion copies and was probably the best game ever created in gaming history - but the N64 was too old, the PS was too long in the market to beat it. And so Nintendo lost this "console war". So now swap the words "N64" with "PS3" the date to 2006, the company is called Sony now and the games are not Zelda an golden Eye but Final Fantasy and Metal Gear. Makes sense, doesn´t it? Diomedes1976 said: Well ,it could have some sense but have in count this . First ,Sony hasnt alienated from itself the third party support at all .Nearly all the occidental games will come out in the PS3 ,and all the japanese ones as well .As bad as you view Sony it gives total liberty to the developers and doesnt interfere in their work or force conditions on them (or censure their work ) as in the times of the Nintendo Seal of Quality .Plus they have lowered the royalties this time out . Second ,the format Nintendo selected was the wrong one because it was much more expensive and with a lot less capacity .BR on the other hand is about the same price as DVD(pennies per disc at most )and has the technology and storage advantage .Right now it is hard to ignore it is beating soundly the HD-DVD and will probably be the next HD movie format of the future . Third ,Nintendo launched the N64 a complete 2 years after Sony the Playstation and more than 2.5 years in Europe .Sony has suffered a delay and launched 1 year after the X360 ,1.3 in Europe (where the X360 hasnt gained a lot of ground ) ...the situation is more akin to the advantage the Dreamcast had when the PS2 arrived that the one the PS1 had over the N64 the prior generation . True enough, Sony hasn't alienated third party support but the PS3 is being launched in a time where exclusive third party games are becomming quite rare. There is almost no third party property where I would be shocked to see a publisher announce that it was being released on both the XBox 360 and PS3, or that a spin off version was being released for the Wii. Would you be overly surprised to hear that Metal Gear Solid was being ported to the XBox 360, or that Final Fantasy XIII: Swords was being made for the Wii? Probably not ... This is a problem with Sony's strategy ... When GTA4 is released this year I have the choice of spending $400 on an XBox or $600 on a PS3 to play that game because I own neither system, does the PS3 offer enough benefit for me to choose to spend $200 extra to own it? Blu-Ray has its disadvantages; the main one being that the player is expensive, and the transfer rate is pretty low.
Well ,third party games tend to be multiplatform thats true .But this doesnt hurt the PS3 more than it hurts the X360 .Plus ,it is easier that the oriental games dont appear on the X360 that the occidental ones cease to appear in the PS3 .And Sony first party software has advantage in the numbers over Microsoft one (huge list of developers acquired or under contract by Sony in the recent years ) so in the software stakes they will be quite close but if there is a small advantage in one plattform I would give it to Sony not to MS . Transfer speed for the BR es better ,the DVD of the X360 is usually compared at its highest transfer rate possible to show it is somewhat faster but it isnt always like that ....the double layered DVD and the inner circles are MUCH slower than the optimal speed it can reach .Plus ,the BR has broke the "region " or "sectors" or "data blocks " limits and the BR acceses at 9Mb second each and every region without having to locate it first .Once the developers get acustomed to the BR geography we will see some advantages in the BR not the contrary .