By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 not performing as bad as some claim?

There have been enormous amounts of negative press surrounding the PS3 so far, but.. - Although the PS3 seemed a bit unpolished at launch, which is slowly taken care off with firmware/OS updates, with a major update in time for the European launch... - Although Sony may have set their default specification pretty high which is reflected on the high price price and games developers are still learning to get the most out of the Cell, Blu-Ray and motion sensing control... - Although the initial games library apart from a few games like Resistance was a little weak, with more major titles only now starting to appear with VF5 and Motorstorm, I don't think the PS3 has performed as bad many people seem to claim... Some comparisons sales charts based on VGcharts data available so far: How is the PS3 performing so far in Japan (X360 vs PS1 vs PS3 launch, current data): Graph XBox 360 vs PS3 (Japan launch current data): In North America so far: Note the PS2 launched in North America more than 7 and a half month after the Japanese release, so there was more time for software developers. At least this time Europeans don't have to wait as long as for the PS1 and PS2. For the PS1 Europeans had to wait 10 months after release! For the PS2 Europeans had to wait 8 and a half months after release! Combined US + Japan data, PS3 counted till 1 February (Xbox 360 vs PS3) P.S. Personally I view the PS2 more of a direct competitor to the Nintendo Wii (cool nevertheless!) price point wise, I think when HDTV sales are really starting to take off the coming years, the PS3 will eventually have a longer lifecycle and a slmline PS3 at some point in the distant future I think will hold lots of potential. Am I way off here, what do the experts here think?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

1. Comparing Xbox360 to PS3 in Japan is completely meaningless. 2. PS1, PS2, and Xbox 360 were supply constrained at launch, PS3's have been collecting dust on store shelves since December. That those two points pretty much explain why this isn't 'news' at all, and in fact, yes, if people are claiming the PS3 is performing horribly, then yes, it is performing as bad as people claim. And keep in mind, both the PS2, Xbox360, and Wii were/are supply constrained, meaning they would have sold a hell of a lot more if they could have made more, while the PS3's are collecting more dust bunnies than Kwaad's Wii.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

@ Sintinel

1. Comparing Xbox360 to PS3 in Japan is completely meaningless.
But PS3 sales have only been tracked in North America and Japan so far. BTW does anyone know current Taiwan and Hong Kong figures?
2. PS1 and PS2 were supply constrained at launch, PS3's have been collecting dust on store shelves since December.
According to VGCharts data more than 1 million PS3s have been sold in North America already, Sony shipped about 1 million units in NA for 2006. So it appears everything what was shipped in 2006 plus some more got sold to consumers in January. Also the PS3 isn't widely in stock everywhere in North America: Canada has been virtually out of stock online for weeks: http://consolewatch.com/ USA (depends on the region, there are many people reporting the PS3 isn't availble in their area): http://ps3finder.com/

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

the thing is the ps3 is doong good however the wii is doing extremly good but many see the ps3 as dooing bad but look at the facts first

The PS3 is far from sold out. If I find time today I will go to Zellers today (I live in a small Ontario community and this is the biggest retailer we have) and I will take pictures of the 3 PS3's that have been here since last Friday. I would take pictures of the 4 Wii's that came in on Friday, but they sold out in 3 hours. :)

Around the Network

Lol. Now compare wii to PS3 and u'll see the difference....

THE NETHERLANDS

Why did you compare the 360, PS1, and PS3 Japanese launches. Why not compare the PS3 to the PS2 launch? Of course the PS3 is going to track well against the PS1, the PS1 was Sony's first console and it was outsold by the Saturn in Japan 2 to 1 intially. Sony has been the industry leader the past two hardware generations. For them to be selling third best right now is not good period.

MikeB from Amigaworld.net? To compare Xbox360 and PS1 with PS3 instead of Wii and PS2 with PS3 just shows that somebody wants to use the facts in his own way. For the moment I put more fait into PSP than I am in the PS3. The PS3 is not only showing bad results in times of hardware, it is really bad in software. Looking back the last weeks and I have seen more xbox360 titles in the top 30 than I have seen PS3 titles. So no PS3 is not doing well for the moment. The main problem for PS3 is not Xbox360, it is Wii. Compare Wii with PS3 and claim that it is doing fine. Or why not compare GC with PS3. According to this site GC had after 16 weeks sold 960 000 consols. PS3 has now sold (also after 16 weeks) sold 709 000 consols. I am an nintendo fan but damn I wouldn't state that GC was a succes.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

@ StarcraftManiac

Now compare wii to PS3 and u'll see the difference....
As I understand it the PS3 60GB is more than twice the price of a Nntendo Wii, I guess for some time cheaper ordinary TVs and non-flatpanel monitors have been outselling HDTVs and flat monitors as well. I think with a higher price tag more good software, or killer features are required to boost sales. The PS1 and PS2 had a lower price tag at launch, but also offered fewer additional features and in my eyes seemed less ambitious compared to other offererings than the PS3 currently provides and the feature set is about to expand with the March firmware/OS update. At least for me the PS3 has perfomed as I expected, I think it's far too early to predict how things will pan out for the long run, but personally I am pretty optimistic. P.S. I think the Nintendo Wii controller is pretty cool. I and my girlfriend love our Nintendo DSes!

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said: As I understand it the PS3 60GB is more than twice the price of a Nntendo Wii, I guess for some time cheaper ordinary TVs and non-flatpanel monitors have been outselling HDTVs and flat monitors as well. I think with a higher price tag more good software, or killer features are required to boost sales. The PS1 and PS2 has a lower price tag, but also offered fewer additional features than the PS3 currently provides and the feature set is about to expand with the March firmware/OS update. At least for me the PS3 has perfomed as I expected, I think it's far too early to predict how things will pan out for the long run, but personally I am pretty optimistic.
You didn't answer my question before (bold in previos post) So you are stating that the succesor of the best selling consol shouldn't sell better? When the succesor of the GBA, NDS, is beating all records? With one of the best competors ever? I can honestly say that I thought that PS3 would sell a lot more.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!