By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 not performing as bad as some claim?

@ BenKenobi88

it's going to have to do some major persuading to get the kind of following that PSX did
@ staticneuron
The PS line has feet. The hype is going to be backed up by games
One major roadblock right now is that the console is so futureproof that some advantages cannot be experienced by most users with to the audio-visual equipment they currently own. For example due to the extra storage space offered by Blu-Ray discs and HDMI 1.3 (up to 48-bit deep color), you can have high quality Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master 7.1 Audio uncompressed, Resistance already supports great 7.1 Audio, games like Motorstorm and Lair will offer this too, but not many users have a 7.1 Audio setup and most game reviewers don't seem to have them neither. And for instance sharp 1080p output through HDMI for Blu-Ray movies and games, many people don't even own 720p HDTVs yet. The Cell and RSX were designed to work together (bandwidhts of 20GB/s and 15GB/s between them) allowing 128-bit pixel HDR, much more complex graphics and games with more things happening simultaneouly, etc. Yet developers are still using their old engines and multi-platform game designers are still struggling to harvest all if any of this potential. Also the 256 MB 3.2 GHz XDR is a lot faster than a unified memory model, etc, etc. So at this point unless you're talking to a tech expert it's hard to convince people the PS3 holds so much still untapped potential. For them seeing is believing, Resistance was a good launch title but I expect Motorstorm and the Lair to become even more convincing. Fingers crossed for Killzone!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

MikeB said:So at this point unless you're talking to a tech expert it's hard to convince people the PS3 holds so much still untapped potential. For them seeing is believing, Resistance was a good launch title but I expect Motorstorm and the Lair to become even more convincing. Fingers crossed for Killzone!
Exactly. Most people don't care about how "future proof" a console is, they just want to see games. They don't know what the hell 7.1 surround is, or how HDMI 1.3 is better than 1.2, they just know which console has madden and which is cheaper - and thats what matters. BTW: "future proof" is nothing more than meaningless PR speak.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

MikeB said: @ BenKenobi88 it's going to have to do some major persuading to get the kind of following that PSX did @ staticneuron The PS line has feet. The hype is going to be backed up by games One major roadblock right now is that the console is so futureproof that some advantages cannot be experienced by most users with to the audio-visual equipment they currently own. For example due to the extra storage space offered by Blu-Ray discs and HDMI 1.3 (up to 48-bit deep color), you can have high quality Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master 7.1 Audio uncompressed, Resistance already supports great 7.1 Audio, games like Motorstorm and Lair will offer this too, but not many users have a 7.1 Audio setup and most game reviewers don't seem to have them neither. And for instance sharp 1080p output through HDMI for Blu-Ray movies and games, many people don't even own 720p HDTVs yet. The Cell and RSX were designed to work together (bandwidhts of 20GB/s and 15GB/s between them) allowing 128-bit pixel HDR, much more complex graphics and games with more things happening simultaneouly, etc. Yet developers are still using their old engines and multi-platform game designers are still struggling to harvest all if any of this potential. Also the 256 MB 3.2 GHz XDR is a lot faster than a unified memory model, etc, etc. So at this point unless you're talking to a tech expert it's hard to convince people the PS3 holds so much still untapped potential. For them seeing is believing, Resistance was a good launch title but I expect Motorstorm and the Lair to become even more convincing. Fingers crossed for Killzone!
7.1 audio is another way the big audio players came up with to try and get more sales from the 5.1 audio crowd. Thing is most people found out that 7.1 was useless and had no different from 5.1. The dupe was foiled and hopefully all is well in audio land for now.

@ Erik Aston

If someone points out just how bad of shape Sony are in, they get called fanboys or whatever, but its the God-honest truth
Sony isn't going to move on or give up. If you look at the big picture Sony is overall still running healthy profits despite huge investments in PS3/Cell R&D and losses on PS3 hardware sales. Blu-Ray has already outsold HD DVD releases in North America and Japan, despite HD DVD's headstart and its initial price benefits, the gap is now growing rapidly. An early victory from the Blu-Ray camp is very beneficial for Sony's long term strategy. Also Sony is the leading company with regard to HDTV sales, the PS3 fits perfecty in the strategy of sellng HDTVs.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ KohlyKohl Some people disagree. read this article: http://blogs.ign.com/chubigans/2007/01/12/43212/

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Erik Aston said: Look, its time for Sony to move. People predicting PS3 to come in 2nd or 3rd aren't just not giving it a fair shake, or "anti-Sony goons." They have to put up sales. They need a major advantage in the amount of software announced, or else they need higher week-to-week or month-to-month sales than the other systems. They had the first, and have been losing it in 2007. In weekly/monthly sales, they are losing to Wii in Japan, and to Wii and 360 in NA. If someone points out just how bad of shape Sony are in, they get called fanboys or whatever, but its the God-honest truth. Having a better launch than 360 is all good and well, but developers look to where the install base is, and who's install base is growing the fastest. Thats 360 and Wii. Consumers look to cost:value relationship based on price. Based on January sales in NA, thats 360 and Wii also. Sure, Sony has games coming up later in 2007 and in 2008. Of course. So do 360 and Wii. That's the one thing every system has: a bunch of upcoming killer apps. Being "good considering the price and lack of games" isn't good enough anymore. They need to be "good compared to Wii and 360." Once they've completed their launch in Europe, there's nothing to look forward to to catch them up half a million or a million units in one shot. They just have less units out there, and no massive advantage in upcoming software. There's nothing magic about Sony that means they'll get support or sales later on anyways. This is not the path PS1 or PS2 took. Its the total opposite. PS1 and PS2 never fought a long drawn-out console battle. They took at early lead, then blew it wide open just as the competition launched, and for the next 4-5 years the only thing they fought was history. Now they've got competitors with price advantages, quickly growing support, bigger install bases, and faster to develop for platforms. It. Ain't. Pretty. It would be biased for anyone to say Sony is doing fine, this is normal for them, or that they should catch up this year if nothing major changes. Being unbiased does not mean purposefully avoiding the facts to make it appear that all three consoles are doing equally well. They aren't.
Really.... I mean really take a step back. This is a harsh picture you are painting. It is 4 months away from NA and japanese release. There is a GDC coming up soon and the worldwide release hasn't even happened yet. This sense of urgency makes no sense. The calls for how bad the situation "looks" has no real credibility. There are way to many factors involved (including the silence on specs, features and titles) that make the PS3 an unkown factor. I say just by going on the titles announced already that the PS3 will be fine by the time the heavy hitters are released this year. I have no idea what is going to happen after Sony says what they have to say about the PS3.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

MikeB said: @ Erik Aston If someone points out just how bad of shape Sony are in, they get called fanboys or whatever, but its the God-honest truth Sony isn't going to move on or give up. If you look at the big picture Sony is overall still running healthy profits despite huge investments in PS3/Cell R&D and losses on PS3 hardware sales. Blu-Ray has already outsold HD DVD releases in North America and Japan, despite HD DVD's headstart and its initial price benefits, the gap is now growing rapidly. An early victory from the Blu-Ray camp is very beneficial for Sony's long term strategy. Also Sony is the leading company with regard to HDTV sales, the PS3 fits perfecty in the strategy of sellng HDTVs.
Just because HDTVs sell doesn't mean PS3s will. Just because Blu-Ray beats HD-DVD, doesn't make it worthwhile. Just because they still turn a profit due to other divisions, doesn't mean their videogame division is healthy. Just because they don't "give up" doesn't mean they'll compete this year, or this generation. Sony needs sales. They need games. They need them now.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Sony has many good games in development. And they're coming out in Christmas...

staticneuron said: Really.... I mean really take a step back. This is a harsh picture you are painting. It is 4 months away from NA and japanese release. There is a GDC coming up soon and the worldwide release hasn't even happened yet. This sense of urgency makes no sense. The calls for how bad the situation "looks" has no real credibility. There are way to many factors involved (including the silence on specs, features and titles) that make the PS3 an unkown factor. I say just by going on the titles announced already that the PS3 will be fine by the time the heavy hitters are released this year. I have no idea what is going to happen after Sony says what they have to say about the PS3.
Ah, GDC too. Always something to wait for thats going to give the PS3 some big boost. Always the next game, the next month, the next big announcement. Y'know Nintendo fans are looking forward to GDC and the March/April lineup too, and 360 fans to a lesser extent. I am REALLY looking forward to what Sony announces about the PSN coming up though (if the rumors are true.) It sounds like they've got a really cool feature they are preparing.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Could anyone explain to me why the PS3's games in march, april... suck... and then in june and july suck? compared to Wii and 360? Because I dont know where your getting your game releases from. But would you send me a link? because Sonys software starts next week! EDIT: It's gonna be one of a few things. But background downloading is almost a guarentee. Enhanced Remote control... That's what everyone is hopeing for. And all the fanboys think it's Gonna be Killzone. I got my money on the enhanced Remote Control. ALSO: Sony is starting to give MASSVIE developer confrences teaching people how to program the CELL, as well as releasing releasing awosome SDKs. On the developer support. Sony is blowing Nintendo out of the water. EDIT2: It's likely there might be some announcement about Killzone. With the Halo3 Hype machine in full swing, sony needs to bring the 360 users, and future users eyes to them.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!