By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - killzone 2 uses only 60% of ps3 SPUs

scottie said:

If you do a bit of tinkering with computers you'll learn some more about them, that way you don't have to simly accept what developers say.

The PS3 has 256 mb of ram (roughly 1/16th of a decent gaming rig) as well as 256 mb video ram (gaming rigs generally have 256-512 mb), and yet it has a processor that is better than most gaming pcs. It also suffers the limitation of a small harddrive and slow disc read speed, compared to modern pc's

The end result of this is that the PS3 is not actually good at gaming. It is good at folding at home, and solving big maths equations. It is not optimised for displaying many polygons in real time.

Whilst it only uses 60% of the processor, no doubt the ram was full, the vram was full, and during loading times data is read from the blu ray as fast as possible

The 360 has 512 of general purpose memory which is 1/8th a decent gaming rig.  The 360 has 0 dedicated video memory which pretty much guarantees you of running pc games on low settings.  Both the 360 and the PS3 are good gaming machines that will always fail comparisons to a pc gaming rig.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
dbot said:
scottie said:

If you do a bit of tinkering with computers you'll learn some more about them, that way you don't have to simly accept what developers say.

The PS3 has 256 mb of ram (roughly 1/16th of a decent gaming rig) as well as 256 mb video ram (gaming rigs generally have 256-512 mb), and yet it has a processor that is better than most gaming pcs. It also suffers the limitation of a small harddrive and slow disc read speed, compared to modern pc's

The end result of this is that the PS3 is not actually good at gaming. It is good at folding at home, and solving big maths equations. It is not optimised for displaying many polygons in real time.

Whilst it only uses 60% of the processor, no doubt the ram was full, the vram was full, and during loading times data is read from the blu ray as fast as possible

The 360 has 512 of general purpose memory which is 1/8th a decent gaming rig.  The 360 has 0 dedicated video memory which pretty much guarantees you of running pc games on low settings.  Both the 360 and the PS3 are good gaming machines that will always fail comparisons to a pc gaming rig.

Hmm, maybe I wasn't entirely clear. I wasn't saying that the PS3 isn't a good machine - it clearly is.

My point was that the PS3 has a much better processor than it does RAM, whereas for gaming you traditionally need alot of RAM, but the processor isn't as important. And I was using that to explain why in pretty much all PS3 games, only 60% or whatever of the SPE will be used, but that we will never see games that do use 100% because of the insufficient RAM

scottie said:
dbot said:
scottie said:

Hmm, maybe I wasn't entirely clear. I wasn't saying that the PS3 isn't a good machine - it clearly is.

My point was that the PS3 has a much better processor than it does RAM, whereas for gaming you traditionally need alot of RAM, but the processor isn't as important. And I was using that to explain why in pretty much all PS3 games, only 60% or whatever of the SPE will be used, but that we will never see games that do use 100% because of the insufficient RAM

Although I would agree that both systems could utilize more RAM, as we move to a multi-core/thread environment the amount of memory is no longer the only design factor.  The increase in excecution cores in the traditional pc design brings an increase in memory latencies due to limitations with the bus architecture and more importantly the speed of the memory.  This is why the comparisons between the xenon and the cell don't necessarily work.  If you look at the specs of each using the standard metrics of amount of memory, core frequency, and clock speed both systems would look similar.  If you take into account the overall design including bandwidth and memory speed, the cell would be viewed more favorably. 

In short the amount of memory becomes irrelevant if the access mechanics are not adequately sized. 

Statements like X game uses Y % of CPU power mean absolutely nothing.

One could write an infinite loop, catch any integer overflow exceptions and reset the counter back to zero and that would use 100% of the PPU or SPU continously. The same code could be forked across all SPU's and now the Cell would be completely maxed. Using all CPU cycles does not equal good or efficient programming. Optimization is about using less cycles not more. The PS3 is not impervious to inefficient programming. I am not saying that GG are inefficient programmers, what I am saying is that their claim does not give any indication of how much untapped potential is still left in the PS3. Unless Killzone 2 is 100% optimized in every aspect of development wrt to the ps3 architecture, it is entirely possible that even more than 40% of the PS3 has been untapped.

Let's pretend I have a ferrari that goes 200MPH. Unfortunately 99% of the time I can't drive at full speed utilizing the full power of my Ferrari's engine. Why? Because variable levels of traffic, stop lights, toll booths, and cops limit how fast I can go. Just like the Ferrari engine the Cell will most of the time not be fully utilized. Most of the time system bottlenecks are not CPU bound. Slower drive speeds, slower or limited availbility of RAM, and shared data that other threads are operating on result in wait states for idling threads.

Just my 2 cents

@MisterBlonde: That is all correct.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
MisterBlonde said:
Statements like X game uses Y % of CPU power mean absolutely nothing.

One could write an infinite loop, catch any integer overflow exceptions and reset the counter back to zero and that would use 100% of the PPU or SPU continously. The same code could be forked across all SPU's and now the Cell would be completely maxed. Using all CPU cycles does not equal good or efficient programming. Optimization is about using less cycles not more. The PS3 is not impervious to inefficient programming. I am not saying that GG are inefficient programmers, what I am saying is that their claim does not give any indication of how much untapped potential is still left in the PS3. Unless Killzone 2 is 100% optimized in every aspect of development wrt to the ps3 architecture, it is entirely possible that even more than 40% of the PS3 has been untapped.

Let's pretend I have a ferrari that goes 200MPH. Unfortunately 99% of the time I can't drive at full speed utilizing the full power of my Ferrari's engine. Why? Because variable levels of traffic, stop lights, toll booths, and cops limit how fast I can go. Just like the Ferrari engine the Cell will most of the time not be fully utilized. Most of the time system bottlenecks are not CPU bound. Slower drive speeds, slower or limited availbility of RAM, and shared data that other threads are operating on result in wait states for idling threads.

Just my 2 cents

I think the thread came to this conclusion on page 2.

A better example of inefficient programming would be, running 12 vgchartz.com tabs in internet explorer 7.  This seems to consume 50% of cpu that for some reason brings Windows xp to a crawl.

headshot91 said:
yh this was on the bottom of another post but this is in more detail.
I really think uncharted 2 will be so good too! Killzone 2 looks amazing graphically

Yes it certainly does. And I think Uncharted 2 is going to be amazing.

Playstation 3 owner since December 25th, 2006

@NJ5 and dbot

Thanks for pointing out page 2...I missed that the first time and ended up repeating what you guys stated. I was more or less replying to statements like Kameo, Gears, and MGS used X% of console power that I saw later in the thread.

As far as the 12 vgchartz example, that is a good example also. Could be an IE problem, vgchartz website problem, or 3rd party plugin like Flash or something. Or a combination of 2 or all 3. You could attach windbg and find out pretty quickly. Just google windbg if you are interested in finding root cause.

With my example I was just trying to point out that utilizing all resources is for the most part not considered a good thing, and with bad programming is easier than one would think.

*See Gebx sig*.

MisterBlonde said:
@NJ5 and dbot

Thanks for pointing out page 2...I missed that the first time and ended up repeating what you guys stated. I was more or less replying to statements like Kameo, Gears, and MGS used X% of console power that I saw later in the thread.

As far as the 12 vgchartz example, that is a good example also. Could be an IE problem, vgchartz website problem, or 3rd party plugin like Flash or something. Or a combination of 2 or all 3. You could attach windbg and find out pretty quickly. Just google windbg if you are interested in finding root cause.

With my example I was just trying to point out that utilizing all resources is for the most part not considered a good thing, and with bad programming is easier than one would think.

Here's my perspective from before this thread even started:

"

*Online*

vg$ 2,073.26
(12/05/08, 13:13)

Further game engine optimisations can bring down the 60% SPU load figure considerably. So potentially there should be even more headroom to do additional stuff.

Current processor loads can be easily determined through benchmark software, but future wizardly coding optimisation cannot be quantified.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=51752&page=1

It's nice to see NJ5 changed his perspectives on this issue, regarding a much earlier thread.

@ NJ5

Once you posted a nice diagram of Killzone 2's engine which showed SPEs waiting for other SPEs for quite a high percentage available CPU time.

You misunderstand the diagram:

The black areas are spare CPU time which can be used for other things (the used areas can be made smaller even, though efficiency optimisation). It may well be obsolete by now, SPU 4 and SPU5 if they would have been included in this diagram would be completely empty.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=49421&page=5

BTW, like I suspected in that thread this diagram would be obsolete.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales