By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - killzone 2 uses only 60% of ps3 SPUs

selnor said:
^ Gears 2 uses 33.33% of Xennon and KZ2 uses 60% of SPU's. It means nothing. The rest of the systems hold it back.

Already 360 launch games used up to 85% of Xenon cycles (all 3 cores), Gears 2 uses more combined with heavy optimisations. IMO no more major technical gains are to be expected, other than maybe for future 360 games a harddrive becomes mandatory and games span several disc (crossing the 6.8 GB barrier of dual layer 360 discs).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

super mario galaxy used only 0.00000001% of wiis power.
wii>>>>>>>>>ps360

see, i can tell facts taken out of my butt too.

scottie said:

If you do a bit of tinkering with computers you'll learn some more about them, that way you don't have to simly accept what developers say.

The PS3 has 256 mb of ram (roughly 1/16th of a decent gaming rig) as well as 256 mb video ram (gaming rigs generally have 256-512 mb), and yet it has a processor that is better than most gaming pcs. It also suffers the limitation of a small harddrive and slow disc read speed, compared to modern pc's

The end result of this is that the PS3 is not actually good at gaming. It is good at folding at home, and solving big maths equations. It is not optimised for displaying many polygons in real time.

Whilst it only uses 60% of the processor, no doubt the ram was full, the vram was full, and during loading times data is read from the blu ray as fast as possible

Do not forget PS3's RAM runs at 3200 MHz which is more than five times faster than X360's memory and faster than almost every PC around.

shams said:

Pity the programmers aren't good enough to use 100% of the CPU power :P

That is why I hate these articles... "We DIDN'T use x% of the power of the console..."

Ummm... and why is that?

It's even more funny when the same game is already suffering from framerate issues even at only x% use of the CPU. Clearly the bottleneck is not the CPU (perhaps one core of it or the GPU or whatever, but not the whole CPU since they are reportedly not even using all the SPUs).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

^ GPU =/= CPU

And even if the remaining SPU's were used for graphics processing it still would write at mere 4 MB/s at PS3's video memory.

Around the Network

@haxxiy: That was my point.

@ NJ5

Killzone 2 runs very solid already and they are adding more stuff, it's a preview build and already runs far more solid and is far more impressive than finalized releases.

I find your comments funny coming from an alledged developer, everyone knows that betas aren't finalized.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ NJ5: saw the edit?

MikeB said:

@ NJ5

Killzone 2 runs very solid already and they are adding more stuff, it's a preview build and already runs far more solid and is far more impressive than finalized releases.

I find your comments funny coming from an alledged developer, everyone knows that betas aren't finalized.

I didn't mention KZ2 specifically regarding framerates, did I? Did you read the post I quoted?

haxxiy said:

^ GPU =/= CPU

And even if the remaining SPU's were used for graphics processing it still would write at mere 4 MB/s at PS3's video memory.

It makes no sense for the Cell to use GDDR3 memory, it uses the low latency much faster XDR Ram. It only makes sense in some cases for the RSX to use XDR Ram in addition to its GDDR3. The Cell to GDDR3 link is mostly useful for testing purposes and such.

The RSX using XDR, doubles bandwidth and increases graphics memory. I guess this is only useful for games where the Cell doesn't have to move around data too much.

PS3 vs 360 sales