By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Wii is Winning: Dominant Software Sales

On the flipside, I do understand what Zenfolder is saying about the "right genre," but I think it's explained in a confusing fashion. Instead of right genre, I'd say Nintendogs has the right audience. Which is to say, any demographic other than males age 16-35 remains almost entirely untapped, even to this day.

As a similar example, consider a toy store that has 10,000 G.I. Joes and exactly one Barbie. Assuming there has been no apocalypse and there are still just as many girls who want to play with toys as there are boys, what is going to happen in that Toy Store? Obviously, the one Barbie will sell like hot cakes, and the G.I. Joes will collectively sell as well, but each individual one will sell much less.

Now, apply that to video games. How many video games fit this description:

1) Are well made, quality products
2) Appeal to girls and young women

I assume you'll agree the list is astonishingly small. The few I can think of are: Nintendogs, The Sims, Spore, Wii Fit, and Bejeweled. Probably a few more I'm not thinking of, but that's about it. And whaddya know? All of the games I've just listed are monster sellers, with each selling well over 10 Million copies each (We don't know for a fact that Bejeweled has, but trust that it has. It's likely in excess of 20 Million now). This is because, despite the fact that there are as many women in the world as men, virtually every game with solid production values is made for men.

Now, apply this general concept to the adults (age 40+) and the elderly, both of which are demographics that are also hugely underserved. Any quality game that appeals to these demographics will sell extremely well, because it has virtually zero competition.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

It's all about the killer app, but it's just weird now because the killer app is the app of kids and people who don't really play video games. People I know in RL that talk about the Wii...

My boss who doesn't play video games (he's played a few in the past, diablo, etc)
My coworker who doesn't play video games and in fact hates video games
My girlfriend who hates video games because I play them
Some guy at work in tech mfg, I don't think he's ever been into video games
My girlfriend's friends who all hate video games
My friend's wife who hates video games (they actually bought a wii, but returned it because they never played it. She scolded us previously for playing streets of rage 2 when she was away at target)
My nephew and niece each have a DS and also have a Wii

Oh ya, Ive also heard my girlfriends Mom and come to think about it my Mom talking about it (My mom actually played easy games on GB and Solomon's Key and Wrecking crew on NES)

For me, I'm too old and think standing up and playing games is weird :P.

Sqrl said:
Erik Aston said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
It's getting a little late and I didn't read all that, but I'll go over why I think the Wii 1st party software sells well:

1. Userbase
2. 1st party consumer preference
3. Lack of choice
4. Marketing
5. Price
6. bundles
7. hype
8. quality
9. innovation
10. wise choice of genres
11. nostalgia
12. Trends/Fads

...that about covers Nintendo 1st party.

Nintendogs has sold 20m copies. It:

1. launched into less than 10m console base.
2. aimed at non-traditional customers with no preference.
3. has plenty of pet sim alternatives
4. had less marketing than many of their titles.
5. has a standard handheld game price.
6. has been offered in limited, optional bundles.
7. was bashed by the hardcore.
8. was high quality.
9. was based on an old concept and utilized old technology.
10. ... huh?
11. had no nostalgia factor.
12. "capitalized" on a trend/fad that had seemingly died 8 or 10 years earlier with Tamagotchi.

So that's 2 of 12 it qualifies for.

1. And now has nearly 90m...the growing userbase is why sales didn't stop at 10m =P
  2. "Casuals" will call any console "a nintendo"...so yeah probably some preference there...
  3. that have a fraction of the consumer awareness
  4. and still has much more consumer awareness..sometimes less is more (I'd like to see the stats on this actually, link?)
  5. agreed
  6. agreed
  7. But it was hyped within the demographic...ie "casuals"...you think "casuals" bashing Halo 3 made a difference to the "hardcore"? Why would the reverse matter?
  8. Yup
  9. Innovation is not invention, it's innovation, you can innovate with an existing invention...sort of like the Wii Remote...it was innovative but the tech and the concept had been around, Nintendo's innovation was building the whole package to make it appealing to the mass market
  10. Agreed "huh?", not sure wth he was saying.
  11. But "Nintendo" does.
  12. But was there nevertheless =)

So by my count that is 10 of 12.

First, I had Wii games in mind, and I wasn't trying to apply every one of these to every first party game. This was just a list of reasons why Nintendo first party games sell, and it's accurate in that sense.

To resond to number 10, "choice of genres."

I mean that Nintendo's sucessful first party games(most first party Nintendo games) fall into genres that Nintendo fans traditionally like. Like casual games, platformers, and adventure games. Not all companies do that. Sony, for instance, has began focusing heavily on FPS games, not necessarily a traditional genre for Sony fans.

Of course Nintendo does this as well, with games like Captain Rainbow...however like Sony, they have yet to meet with much success with non-traditional 1st party genres on their console. You've got to slowly develop these genres on your console. Like, for instance, if Sony keeps piling FPS games on the PS3, eventually, FPS gamers will start to buy PS3s to play them on.

The perfect example of this is the "casual game genre." Nintendo sees that Wii fans love casual games, so they have now started making more casual games, and they sell a lot. Games that don't follow this trend, don't sell as much.

10. So, sticking with traditional proven seller genres on your console helps your software sell.

Easy, peasy.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

First, I had Wii games in mind, and I wasn't trying to apply every one of these to every first party game. This was just a list of reasons why Nintendo first party games sell, and it's accurate in that sense.

To resond to number 10, "choice of genres."

I mean that Nintendo's sucessful first party games(most first party Nintendo games) fall into genres that Nintendo fans traditionally like. Like casual games, platformers, and adventure games. Not all companies do that. Sony, for instance, has began focusing heavily on FPS games, not necessarily a traditional genre for Sony fans.

Of course Nintendo does this as well, with games like Captain Rainbow...however like Sony, they have yet to meet with much success with non-traditional 1st party genres on their console. You've got to slowly develop these genres on your console. Like, for instance, if Sony keeps piling FPS games on the PS3, eventually, FPS gamers will start to buy PS3s to play them on.

The perfect example of this is the "casual game genre." Nintendo sees that Wii fans love casual games, so they have now started making more casual games, and they sell a lot. Games that don't follow this trend, don't sell as much.

10. So, sticking with traditional proven seller genres on your console helps your software sell.

Easy, peasy.

Are you serious?

You can pretend that Nintendogs, Brain Training, New Super Mario Bros, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit are all in the same genre if you like, but they are clearly all over the map in terms of gameplay, and by-and-large they aren't being followed up with a torrent of similar games from Nintendo.

"[Nintendo] have yet to meet with much success with non-traditional 1st party genres on their console." That statement is just too much.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Heh, "casual game" genre. Let me name all the genres of games then: Casual Hardcore That's it! Every game is in one of these two genres. Did you know that Zelda is in the same Genre as Mass Effect? That Braid is in the same Genre as Resistance 2: Fall of Man? It's true: they're all in the "hardcore" genre!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

One thing that we can all learn from this generation is that it takes a steady stream, a strong, standing library of games that appeals to everyone to move hardware, not just a few big name exclusives that appeal to core and hardcore gamers.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

One thing that this generation taught me, is that cognitive dissonance is a powerful tool for the mind.
It started with the DS, but since the 2 years of the Wii, the entire gaming industry is falling for it left and right.
At least it's entertaining, like this tread's derailers.

Bodhesatva said:

Erik is largely correct that casual players are the exact people who do not have brand loyalty to anyone, including Nintendo. The whole idea of being a "casual" is that they don't play many games and aren't obsessively aware of who is making what. Most do not look at the publisher's name on a box, and in my experience as a retail employee, even if they SEE a logo, they don't necessarily know that means who published it. Why would they? That could just mean a licensee or something. "Who published this game" isn't something these people even consider.

As a similar example, I'll assume most of you aren't music enthusiasts. Listeners, sure, but not enthusiasts. Do you know who published your favorite albums? Don't look; just tell me. Was it Starshine? How about AMSI? How about Global Music? What's that, you don't know? How could you be so stupidly ignorant of a product you enjoy?

Nintendo does not have magic dust. People do not buy their products "just because." When speaking of casual users most especially, the reason a product will sell is because they want it, not because of brand recognition or loyalty. Why would someone with little interest in a medium have extensive knowledge of who makes the games they like? That's what enthusiast users understand and care about. Which is funny: the people who actually would be motivated by brand loyalty are the precise people not buying things like Nintendogs.

Zen didn't say loyalty though, he said preference.  I'd agree there isn't any real brand loyalty going on, but Nintendo's been able to associate their name with gaming to a lot of folks who don't game on a regular basis.  They may not be determined to buy a Nintendo product when they leave their house, but they certainly know that brand more than any other and when they have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 that Nintendo logo is going to mean a whole lot more than any music publisher logo ever would because of that widespread association. 

To Each Man, Responsibility