By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Wii is Winning: Dominant Software Sales

thx1139 said:
Rhonin the wizard said:
thx1139 said:
Putting up this list does not explain the Why? It explains why many many of us are perplexed and confused why the Wii sells so well. Sure the Nintendo fans can celebrate that the Wii is winning and by a large margin.

What is wrong is looking at those games on the list and understanding why you celebrate out right mediocre or even worse bad games.

Wii Sports (17.45m) - mediocre
Wii Fit (10.37m) - medicre
Wii Play (7.82m) - bad
Mario and Sonic (3.30m) - mediocre
Carnival Games (1.74m) - bad
Link's Crossbow Training (1.65m) - mediocre
Mario Party 8 (1.63m) - bad

Let's see, you left out the games that wouldn't help your view(SSBB, SMG and the rest). And how many of those games have you played? I can only speak for Wii Sports and I enjoyed it very much.

I left them out as to not confuse the issue. I didnt think they were mediocre or bad. If I would have left them in the list people would have screamed I was calling some good games bad.

I think that's the point.  You left out good games and by doing so it seems you are implying only crap games sell on Wii.  If you had left those games in then it would have weakened your argument. 

As for the games you left in it goes to show how you or any other so called hard core person cannot be the judge of what is a good game and what is not.  The people that think Wii Sports is a bad game (let alone mediocre) are in the minority big time.  If you think Wii Sports is a bad game then I think you have very bad taste in games.  Wii Fit is great for what it is.  Mario and Sonic I absolutely love.  If you think it is mediocre that's your problem.  Tons of people disagree.  I have been playing games for 20 years now and love all manner of games.  I absolutely love Fallout 3 which you would obviously classify hard core.  But at the same time I can have an open mind and love quality 'casual' games like Wii Sports and Mario & Sonic.  But the fact I have been gaming for ages and play 'hardcore' games does not give me the right to tell others what is a good game or bad game.  Wii Music is the exception of course.  I think it is crap and everyone must accept my view on that game as FACT.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

@ tuoyo. Wii Sports is a horrible game and Mario ad Sonic is not fun in the least bit. Your opinions are crap.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

--OkeyDokey-- said:

There was never any doubt about the success of first party Nintendo games. Lack of third party games and overall low quality is the issue.

Just looking at the charts, you can see Wii owners are buying the same few games every week, which has a lot to do with the fact that there's not much else to choose from.
It's hard for an HD game to sell hundreds of thousands of untis each week when it has to compete with the constant stream of new releases.

Edit: Not disagreeing. Wii Fit/Sports, Brawl and Mario Kart are just about the biggest system movers out there.

The problem with that thinking is that Wii games don't follow the same pattern as HD games.

The big hitter HD games sell 100s of thousands of copies in the first week, then tail off to selling around 10-20k per week... thus they are easy to notice on the charts for the first few weeks, and still show up if you look for them, further down the charts.

The average HD game does exactly the same except with lower numbers and even poorer "legs" which means they show up fine in the top 10 of the charts for week 1, and stay visible for 2-3 more weeks, then will dissapear.

----

The big hitter Wii games start high, though not quite as high as HD ones, but then continue to sell 50-100k per week, which is why you see them on the charts each week.

The average Wii games are lucky to be in the top 50 for more than 1-2 weeks, and the early debut will mostly go unnoticed unless you search for that specific game.... but then it can stay in the 50-200 spot for months on end, if not even longer in some cases.

----

Thus the Wii big hitters sell more than most HD big hitters (I am starting to hate that term now) over their full lifetime, and both are equally noticable in the charts even if in reality the Wii titles have more presence (Wii fit in top 10 still)

But the average titles for Wii can still sell just fine, it's just that they do so mostly unnoticed.

tuoyo said:
thx1139 said:
Rhonin the wizard said:
thx1139 said:
Putting up this list does not explain the Why? It explains why many many of us are perplexed and confused why the Wii sells so well. Sure the Nintendo fans can celebrate that the Wii is winning and by a large margin.

What is wrong is looking at those games on the list and understanding why you celebrate out right mediocre or even worse bad games.

Wii Sports (17.45m) - mediocre
Wii Fit (10.37m) - medicre
Wii Play (7.82m) - bad
Mario and Sonic (3.30m) - mediocre
Carnival Games (1.74m) - bad
Link's Crossbow Training (1.65m) - mediocre
Mario Party 8 (1.63m) - bad

Let's see, you left out the games that wouldn't help your view(SSBB, SMG and the rest). And how many of those games have you played? I can only speak for Wii Sports and I enjoyed it very much.

I left them out as to not confuse the issue. I didnt think they were mediocre or bad. If I would have left them in the list people would have screamed I was calling some good games bad.

I think that's the point.  You left out good games and by doing so it seems you are implying only crap games sell on Wii.  If you had left those games in then it would have weakened your argument. 

As for the games you left in it goes to show how you or any other so called hard core person cannot be the judge of what is a good game and what is not.  The people that think Wii Sports is a bad game (let alone mediocre) are in the minority big time.  If you think Wii Sports is a bad game then I think you have very bad taste in games.  Wii Fit is great for what it is.  Mario and Sonic I absolutely love.  If you think it is mediocre that's your problem.  Tons of people disagree.  I have been playing games for 20 years now and love all manner of games.  I absolutely love Fallout 3 which you would obviously classify hard core.  But at the same time I can have an open mind and love quality 'casual' games like Wii Sports and Mario & Sonic.  But the fact I have been gaming for ages and play 'hardcore' games does not give me the right to tell others what is a good game or bad game.  Wii Music is the exception of course.  I think it is crap and everyone must accept my view on that game as FACT.

Actually I have played Wii Sports and Wii Play and they are indeed mediocre and bad.  Even if they were OK to good games is it a reason to celebrate games that clearly had little investment made into them sell so incredibly. 

Again I left out the good games not to imply the Wii doesnt have any good games that sell.  Fact of the matter of those top 10 games 6 of them are mediocre at best and yes that includes Wii Sports.   No I havent played all of those, but how many bad games on the 360, PS3, or previous generations have you played?  Just because for some stupid reason or another a mediocre or bad game sells incredibly well on a platform are we obliged to play it so we can say it is indeed a mediocre or bad game.  I didnt play Too Human on the 360 and willing to say it is mediocre.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Wii Sports is one of the most revolutionary games of all time. But besides for that, you make an excellent point.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
amp316 said:
@ tuoyo. Wii Sports is a horrible game and Mario ad Sonic is not fun in the least bit. Your opinions are crap.

Lol.  As crap as Boom Blox?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

lol opinions arguing with more opinions.

And I agree with this topic.

Plus you(thx) say "people keep buying the same games," no that's not true. I'm pretty sure I only own one copy of every game I own. I don't own 30 copies of Mario Kart and I doubt anyone else does to.

Kyros said:
Even discounting Wii Sports, Wii has 6 out of the top 10 and all of the top 4

And if we discount Wii Sports and Wii Play (which is in effect a 10$ game with the second WiiMote) we have 5 out of the top10, which is perfectly in line with its marketshare.

But thats not the point. The problem of the Wii lies below the Top10. While the 360 and the PS3 have a long long list of really good games, the Wii has a couple of (Nintendo produced) Blockbusters and a huge amount of not so good titles. The middle is missing. Discussion is not new.

Or, we could not discount Wii Sports and Wii play because they are both games with valid sales.  That gives the Wii 7 out of the top 10 and aligns it with its great appeal.  

OT: I agree 100%.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

thx1139 said:

Wii Sports (17.45m) - fun and still gives me the magic feeling I got when I first played it
Wii Fit (10.37m) - fun and hard (and useful)
Wii Play (7.82m) - fun
Mario and Sonic (3.30m) - fun
Carnival Games (1.74m) - don't know
Link's Crossbow Training (1.65m) - okay
Mario Party 8 (1.63m) - uber fun

My point: speak for yourself.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

thx1139 said:

Actually I have played Wii Sports and Wii Play and they are indeed mediocre and bad.  Even if they were OK to good games is it a reason to celebrate games that clearly had little investment made into them sell so incredibly. 

Again I left out the good games not to imply the Wii doesnt have any good games that sell.  Fact of the matter of those top 10 games 6 of them are mediocre at best and yes that includes Wii Sports.   No I havent played all of those, but how many bad games on the 360, PS3, or previous generations have you played?  Just because for some stupid reason or another a mediocre or bad game sells incredibly well on a platform are we obliged to play it so we can say it is indeed a mediocre or bad game.  I didnt play Too Human on the 360 and willing to say it is mediocre.

To the average person, the top core games, like MGS4 and Halo 3, are bad because they are unplayable for the average person. Good or bad all depends on the target audience. The Wii games are very good for their intended audience, as are the top 360 and PS3 games. You and the hardcore gaming audience aren't the only ones in the world games are developed for, quit thinking so selfishly.