By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Wii is Winning: Dominant Software Sales

Excellent post. I believe that you are correct. It is the software that will always be the driver of console sales. This generation, Wii Sports is the killer app. The Wii also has the most high quality exclusives, as you pointed out.

"Mystery" solved.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

good job wii... i applaud u..

p.s. how many of those games are third party though?:)

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Thankfully 3rd party companies don't give a shit about wii . Most best sellers are nintendo games . Oh and this site seems to have the annoying habit of overtracking ps3 games as evident ftom the gta4 numbers ,for example

Great analysis with a logical conclusions. People forget that the simplest answer usually is the best answer. Simplest answer with Wii is that because software sells well and hardware sells well that people buy it for the games.

Zucas said:
Great analysis with a logical conclusions. People forget that the simplest answer usually is the best answer. Simplest answer with Wii is that because software sells well and hardware sells well that people buy it for the games.

We should keep this quote for the history of this gen.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

Around the Network

great thread! also it good to see the Wii looked at threw a good pair of goggles.

The third party argument isn't very useful. A liked game is a liked game, no matter who makes it.

It's as if those people think that the consumers actually CARE if the game were third party or not!

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

--OkeyDokey-- said:

There was never any doubt about the success of first party Nintendo games. Lack of third party games and overall low quality is the issue.

Just looking at the charts, you can see Wii owners are buying the same few games every week, which has a lot to do with the fact that there's not much else to choose from.
It's hard for an HD game to sell hundreds of thousands of untis each week when it has to compete with the constant stram of new releases.

I hope you mean new Wii owners are buying the same games, because I'm sure no one sits at their house saying... "man 20 copies of Brawl isn't enough I need one more" but really 2 years into the system and it has plenty to choose from just most people overlook games unless they get some sort of hype which you have to hype every piece of crap cause of you rely on word of mouth to sell a game like GTA4 you wouldn't sell many copies... but really much like stof's thread, lots of Wii games are getting very good sales it just the sells go under the radar below the top 25 most weeks yet sell better then HD games... which you should look into some time if you haven't.

But this holiday there's too many good games on the Wii for me to get, most of my time is occupied with what I already have...  then more of my time will be filled if I get a PS3 and LBP Christmas...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Even discounting Wii Sports, Wii has 6 out of the top 10 and all of the top 4

And if we discount Wii Sports and Wii Play (which is in effect a 10$ game with the second WiiMote) we have 5 out of the top10, which is perfectly in line with its marketshare.

But thats not the point. The problem of the Wii lies below the Top10. While the 360 and the PS3 have a long long list of really good games, the Wii has a couple of (Nintendo produced) Blockbusters and a huge amount of not so good titles. The middle is missing. Discussion is not new.

Kyros said:
Even discounting Wii Sports, Wii has 6 out of the top 10 and all of the top 4

And if we discount Wii Sports and Wii Play (which is in effect a 10$ game with the second WiiMote) we have 5 out of the top10, which is perfectly in line with its marketshare.

But thats not the point. The problem of the Wii lies below the Top10. While the 360 and the PS3 have a long long list of really good games, the Wii has a couple of (Nintendo produced) Blockbusters and a huge amount of not so good titles. The middle is missing. Discussion is not new.

^^The problem with that?

Top 10 lists don't necessarily have to be proportional to market share.  That logic works with total software sales for a platform, but not a top 10 list.  The reason is simply because the demographics are broken up differently, while the total software sales on a platform can be attributed to all console owners and therefore should be proportional you cannot say the same about a single game or a small subset of games.  A single game/subset of games should only sell proportionally to the size of the interested demographic among those who own the platform.  Thats the fundamental argument among those who say the Wii will never get "core" games...they're wrong of course, but for a different reason.

Basically you're assuming that all 3 consoles have an equivalent demographic breakdown which is clearly not the case.

To Each Man, Responsibility