By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - My 360 has again succumbed to the dreaded RROD

NightDragon83 said:
Username2324 said:
Commando said:
The Anarchyz said:
We sure are hypnotized by Microsoft, it's kind of scary... Any other brand having that kind of flaw in its product gets banned from our house for life, not Microsoft products, we forgive them so many times no matter what happens next...

Windows crashes, ok, restart and continue, BSOD? hope i saved my stuff and i better check how i handle my PC, Registry? just format, IE? i don't mind that browser, Office problems? reinstall, and the list keeps going and going...

Meanwhile, i've seen people that say "My Samsung TV doesn't show picture, i'll never buy a Samsung TV again"... But the 360 gets the RROD, i don't hear them saying "I'll never buy a Microsoft console again"...

I don't know, maybe it's just me...

you've got a point there.

I think it's because that's what we expect from Microsoft, we expect disappointment, and once it arrives we're not surprised, but other brands you expand brilliance and quality, and if you're unlucky and happen to get a fluke it has a different effect on you.

LOL you can say that again! I knew full well what I was getting into when purchasing a 360 for X-Mas last year so all I could do was shrug and laugh at the situation when it happened to me.

There are only 2 electronics manufacturers that I can think of that I've never had a problem with and can purchase their products with confidence, and they are Nintendo and Panasonic...

I have owned all of Nintendo's systems and handhelds which, aside from the GC, I never had a single problem with, and have now owned 3 Panasonic TVs, a VCR and DVD player, stereo system, portable CD player and camcorder and never had a problem with any of their producs. I'd give an honorable mention to Sony too, but we did have a problem with a TV set years ago that we returned and exchanged for a Panasonic instead, but they are right up there in quality, just a bit more pricey for my liking.

Ninny? Are you serious? Wow ... my NES and my SNES, I had to blow hard into the cartridges to get them to work, AND had to depress the NES cartridges in a certain way to get them to play - and constantly had to reset the system. Don't know what you are talking about, but every homie I know with an NES did the same thing.

Panasonic? Meh. All stuff breaks. I had a horrible time with Panasonic remotes (2 for TVs and 1 for a VCR).

Around the Network
dougsdad0629 said:
Badassbab said:
dougsdad0629 said:
The Anarchyz said:
We sure are hypnotized by Microsoft, it's kind of scary... Any other brand having that kind of flaw in its product gets banned from our house for life, not Microsoft products, we forgive them so many times no matter what happens next...

Windows crashes, ok, restart and continue, BSOD? hope i saved my stuff and i better check how i handle my PC, Registry? just format, IE? i don't mind that browser, Office problems? reinstall, and the list keeps going and going...

Meanwhile, i've seen people that say "My Samsung TV doesn't show picture, i'll never buy a Samsung TV again"... But the 360 gets the RROD, i don't hear them saying "I'll never buy a Microsoft console again"...

I don't know, maybe it's just me...

BEST POST EVER! You have completely summed up my exact feelings about the 360 and the RROD. Why the hell are people so forgiving of Microsoft for such a faulty product? Anarchyz = my new hero.

If you look at my comment earlier you will see why people are so forgiving of the 360. In the same way people were so forgiving of the PS2 with it's unreliable laser reader with NO free extended warranty the Microsoft is giving out. I remember faulty PS2's flooding eBay and did gamers invest in alternatives? Some did but most went out and bought another PS2.

Personally, I never had any PS2 hardware issues. Regardless, I'm pretty confident the PS2 failure rate was nowhere near that of the 360.

Link, source?

I lost 2 PS2s to DRE and there was a lawsuit filed against Sony. http://www.gamespot.com/news/6139482.html

Unless I missed something, MS is repairing older consoles with RROD with newer motherboards that correct the problem. The Falcons and Jaspers don't suffer the same heating flaws, hince they are more reliable.

Ok there are a ton of folks who apparently thought this was a thread to come dump on the 360..it's not. The OP is asking a question, so unless you want to answer the question or address his issue specifically please post elsewhere.

That goes for everyone not on-topic BTW.

Consider this a warning for the remainder of this thread.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Shadowblind said:

I feel your pain. Im still waiting for my 360 to get back after its third RRoD :/ Oh well, just think of the amazing games you'll be playing when you get it back.

The main problem is the method of fixing it. MS should just take the loss and send out newer, reliable units. However, they can't do that because it would require all the new 360s to have newer, less-power drawing power supplies with each unit. What MS did was make revisions on the older motherboards so it won't get so hot. It's really just correcting the design flaw and hoping it stays repaired. For me, even after I got my 360 back, I have it boxed up. I know the Arcade is running cooler, using less power and will, in turn, be much more reliable.

madskillz said:
NightDragon83 said:

LOL you can say that again! I knew full well what I was getting into when purchasing a 360 for X-Mas last year so all I could do was shrug and laugh at the situation when it happened to me.

There are only 2 electronics manufacturers that I can think of that I've never had a problem with and can purchase their products with confidence, and they are Nintendo and Panasonic...

I have owned all of Nintendo's systems and handhelds which, aside from the GC, I never had a single problem with, and have now owned 3 Panasonic TVs, a VCR and DVD player, stereo system, portable CD player and camcorder and never had a problem with any of their producs. I'd give an honorable mention to Sony too, but we did have a problem with a TV set years ago that we returned and exchanged for a Panasonic instead, but they are right up there in quality, just a bit more pricey for my liking.

Ninny? Are you serious? Wow ... my NES and my SNES, I had to blow hard into the cartridges to get them to work, AND had to depress the NES cartridges in a certain way to get them to play - and constantly had to reset the system. Don't know what you are talking about, but every homie I know with an NES did the same thing.

Panasonic? Meh. All stuff breaks. I had a horrible time with Panasonic remotes (2 for TVs and 1 for a VCR).

Yeah, I'm serious... yes the original NES's infamous "blinking screen" issues were annoying at the time, but that's why we have top-loaders    Plus, I have 3 original NES's besides my top loader, and they ALL still work... I've never had a Nintendo system completely crap out on me or have some kind of hardware problem that renders its game-playing abilities useless.

BTW, the trick is not to blow on the carts like everyone else does, but to simply push them in gently so that they just barely have enough clearance to be pushed down, then wiggle very slightly to the left or right.  Try it, once you get the right touch it works like a charm every time!

And you had problems with your SNES carts?!?  Man, whats wrong with you... the SNES is indescructable... can't tell you how many times ive angrilly slammed carts into it or yanked out of it, mashed the reset button, or thrown controllers at it, but I've never EVER had a problem with id reading games.  Same goes for my N64.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

My 360 just died on me for the 2nd time in 2 years, MS wont fix it so that sux for me. I think it's the power supply, but not i'm sure. How much does a power brick goes for?

loy310 said:
My 360 just died on me for the 2nd time in 2 years, MS wont fix it so that sux for me. I think it's the power supply, but not i'm sure. How much does a power brick goes for?

Why not? Warrently lasts for three years.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

loy310 said:

Sorry to hear that. Did you use a 3rd party cooler? That and opening the unit up will void your warranty. Have you contacted MS yet?

For the brick, check craigslist. I have seen them going for $40-$80.

madskillz said:
loy310 said:

Sorry to hear that. Did you use a 3rd party cooler? That and opening the unit up will void your warranty. Have you contacted MS yet?

Nope, no 3rd party hardware was ever hooked up to my 360, and about that warrenty, I said the same thing but the MS reps said the warrenty in up and it would cost me for repairs. I've had the system since launch.

loy310 said:
madskillz said:
loy310 said:

Nope, no 3rd party hardware was ever hooked up to my 360, and about that warrenty, I said the same thing but the MS reps said the warrenty in up and it would cost me for repairs. I've had the system since launch.

Man that does suck... the warranty expired the middle of Nov for launch systems... i guess MS has enough consoles to fix without having to worry about yours again.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.