By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Littlebigplanet = LittlebigFlop

I would like to know how much development of this game did really cost for media molecule. Especially how much did new engine cost. I am quite sure that they haven't got back all they put into this game. Also servers for the game with 'no cost' is not the way to make money.

Around the Network

I don't think LBP 'flopped'. Nor is comparing it to Gears useful.

Genre matters a lot in game sales, as does pre-knowledge of what you're getting. To be blunt, and rather sarcastic about my fellow gamers, but including myself to an extent - for the most part we demand new experiences and innovation then shun them in favour of replaying tried and tested games instead. And its because that's how most of us react to games. We like what we know and a good game (or mechanic) can be played over and over again.

Consider:

Gears launched as a new IP that was in fact almost totally generic, well advertised and easy to communicate - here's a great shooter with lots of violence and great graphics. It also released on a console heavily weighted towards shooters from a known developer of such titles. It had just enough refinement (I can't say innovation) to make it have enough 'new' appeal as well. It was as safe a bet as I think you can have for a 'new' IP - a new setting, some new mechanics, new content, but at its heart a well known, tried and trusted game mechanic - space marines, fearsome foes, big guns, well honed shooting and lots of blood... and of course killer MP.

Super Mario Galaxy (arguably a more similar title) launched as the latest in a very known and well sold franchise on the hottest selling console and again with a perfect match of demographic to title. It too had just enough refinement (I can't say innovation) to make it have enough 'new' appeal as well. It was as safe as bet as you could have for a 'known' IP.

LBP launched as a new IP, with some decent innovation on a console (extensive, completely seamless level building and level sharing/scoring), a decent 'game' portion. It was developed by a small team and thrust forward by marketing and hype (and I'd argue in reaction to critics going ga-ga over the title when it was first shown). It was, in short, far from a safe bet no matter how much the majority of the gaming press/marketplace cooed over it. Admiring something cute and new is one thing, buying it is another.

Within that context I believe LBP sold pretty well. I actually doubt the beta cost it more than 10,000 or so sales. I do believe the delay hurt it more, losing it a lot of potential sales by forcing it into a timeframe alongside big shooters instead of launching in a period of relative calm before the storm.

If there is a flaw it's that some (perhaps Sony themselves) developed unrealistic expectations for a new IP in a genre that has not produced amazing sales on PS3 compared to shooters and 'known' properties.

The failure is not the games, but in those unrealistic expectations. Everything I have read indicates LBP was a labour of love project by a small team, that its overall development budget was probably relatively small by AAA standards and that it will comfortably deliver a profit on current/trended sales.

For me its my GOTY - I haven't enjoyed a single game's whole experience more this year so far (so I'm not just going on the supplied levels, but playing user content, creating levels myself, and just 'mucking' about with friends/family as the game so readily encourages you to do.

But I never expected 3 million WW LTD sales week 2 or anything like that. The game will break 1M and if it has legs (which I believe it deserves to have and has a decent chance of showing) then it will sell well for what it is - a risky new IP as opposed to a 'safe' new IP.

I do sometimes wonder how it would have sold on Wii... but even though I own one I'm glad its on PS3, the HD textures and content is part of what LBP is, and I think it suits the platform very well. Just perhaps not the majority of its owners!

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

LBP was a flop.

Its OK it was a risky niche product, it was never going to be a system seller.

I feel a bit sorry for the DEVS and actually wish it had done better, as it will now just encourage lazy hollywood style sequels.

Sony seem to be slowly backing away from the product after the pre launch hype which really cant make the boys at Media Molecule feel good.

That's a harsh article.

The game is not a flop for what it is. A new IP platformer on a system not known for platformers.

It does, on the other hand, look rather small when putting it next to massive mountain of hype for this game.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Dodece said:
@Max King of the Wild

Unfortunately for you the PS3 has retailed in some markets in excess of $700 USD. So your argument is utterly irrelevant. Be thankful you do not live in Singapore, Mexico, or in Scandinavia. Those poor bastards had the screws put to them. Here is a handy chart. That while not complete is still relatively competent for our purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_launch

@topic

Yes the game was overly hyped by Sony loyalists across the web. They billed it as the second coming of Christ. Even though they were routinely warned about doing this. However they should not have needed warning in the first place. How many times have they oversold a game only to have it crash and burn on launch. You would think that a great many of them would learn to manage their own expectations, and learn something about hedging. There is a difference between saying something could do something reasonable, and stating something as a fact.

When you do the latter, and it proves false. You really deserve to be slapped upside the head. That is how your going to learn humility. Though I am starting to think it will never sink in. I am not bashing the game I think it is probably a very good game for what it is, and that is a niche title. That alone limited the sales, and if you thought this game would outperform Galaxy you really were living in some kind of dream world. That game hit just over a million. That with it being a renowned twenty year old franchise. On a console more geared to platform gaming. Built by one of the top teams in the industry. Yes a great many Sony loyalists all over the place screamed that it could be done, and would be done easily.

799 Singapore Dollars is equal to US$523. And the PS3 was released before the US dollar went down.

8000 Mexican Pesos is US$512.

Norway, though, was really expensive. That many Kroner is now US$850.

EDIT: I doubt the guy who wrote this article is from Norway.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
I don't think LBP 'flopped'. Nor is comparing it to Gears useful.

Genre matters a lot in game sales, as does pre-knowledge of what you're getting. To be blunt, and rather sarcastic about my fellow gamers, but including myself to an extent - for the most part we demand new experiences and innovation then shun them in favour of replaying tried and tested games instead. And its because that's how most of us react to games. We like what we know and a good game (or mechanic) can be played over and over again.

Consider:

Gears launched as a new IP that was in fact almost totally generic, well advertised and easy to communicate - here's a great shooter with lots of violence and great graphics. It also released on a console heavily weighted towards shooters from a known developer of such titles. It had just enough refinement (I can't say innovation) to make it have enough 'new' appeal as well. It was as safe a bet as I think you can have for a 'new' IP - a new setting, some new mechanics, new content, but at its heart a well known, tried and trusted game mechanic - space marines, fearsome foes, big guns, well honed shooting and lots of blood... and of course killer MP.

Super Mario Galaxy (arguably a more similar title) launched as the latest in a very known and well sold franchise on the hottest selling console and again with a perfect match of demographic to title. It too had just enough refinement (I can't say innovation) to make it have enough 'new' appeal as well. It was as safe as bet as you could have for a 'known' IP.

LBP launched as a new IP, with some decent innovation on a console (extensive, completely seamless level building and level sharing/scoring), a decent 'game' portion. It was developed by a small team and thrust forward by marketing and hype (and I'd argue in reaction to critics going ga-ga over the title when it was first shown). It was, in short, far from a safe bet no matter how much the majority of the gaming press/marketplace cooed over it. Admiring something cute and new is one thing, buying it is another.

Within that context I believe LBP sold pretty well. I actually doubt the beta cost it more than 10,000 or so sales. I do believe the delay hurt it more, losing it a lot of potential sales by forcing it into a timeframe alongside big shooters instead of launching in a period of relative calm before the storm.

If there is a flaw it's that some (perhaps Sony themselves) developed unrealistic expectations for a new IP in a genre that has not produced amazing sales on PS3 compared to shooters and 'known' properties.

The failure is not the games, but in those unrealistic expectations. Everything I have read indicates LBP was a labour of love project by a small team, that its overall development budget was probably relatively small by AAA standards and that it will comfortably deliver a profit on current/trended sales.

For me its my GOTY - I haven't enjoyed a single game's whole experience more this year so far (so I'm not just going on the supplied levels, but playing user content, creating levels myself, and just 'mucking' about with friends/family as the game so readily encourages you to do.

But I never expected 3 million WW LTD sales week 2 or anything like that. The game will break 1M and if it has legs (which I believe it deserves to have and has a decent chance of showing) then it will sell well for what it is - a risky new IP as opposed to a 'safe' new IP.

I do sometimes wonder how it would have sold on Wii... but even though I own one I'm glad its on PS3, the HD textures and content is part of what LBP is, and I think it suits the platform very well. Just perhaps not the majority of its owners!

Although I agree with you that some gamers (particularly the 'hardcore') prefer familiarity, the commercial success of new casual Wii and DS IP's illustrates a huge demand for innovation in the market. Nintendogs, Wii Sports and Wii Fit demonstrate that new IP's are more than capable of generating big sales.

I haven't played LBP myself, but from what I've heard and read, it targets the broader demographic found on Wii. I believe that casual gamers are less drawn to familiarity and are more open to new IP's. Rather, I think you hit the nail on the head when you implied in your final paragraph that perhaps the PS3 lacks the casual userbase to support this type of game. The Wii has the casual market all sewn up this generation.  

To be honest.. With all the raving reviews: 10's, A+'s 9,5's
I expected more.. and most of us did.. you can't deny that.. Isn't this the best reviewed game on the PS3?? So many people (hardcore & casuals) have read that it's a great game.. but they haven't sold 1 million.. that's a big WTF..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

sega4life said:
kutasek said:
It's quite too biased, to take it seriously. Sure LBP didn't do as much as i like too, but calling it flop, is crap.

are you serious?

For the (hype) surrounding this game, not to mention the endless "Will be huge" posts and sig, sigs. (not just on this site)

It can be easily considered a flop.

game will sell very well over time..........the point ur missing is that its a better and more unique game than anything released thus far...... i only have one copy thats enough for me.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I don't think it's fair to call LBP a flop. There were some truly insane predictions flying, but these sales are roughly on par with most reasonable predictions. Probably a bit lower, but that just enforces the notion of niche genres.

Let's not forget that it'll probably get bundled later on, and possibly gain as much as an additional million in sales after it would've otherwise died.

Kantor said:
Dodece said:
@Max King of the Wild

Unfortunately for you the PS3 has retailed in some markets in excess of $700 USD. So your argument is utterly irrelevant. Be thankful you do not live in Singapore, Mexico, or in Scandinavia. Those poor bastards had the screws put to them. Here is a handy chart. That while not complete is still relatively competent for our purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_launch

@topic

Yes the game was overly hyped by Sony loyalists across the web. They billed it as the second coming of Christ. Even though they were routinely warned about doing this. However they should not have needed warning in the first place. How many times have they oversold a game only to have it crash and burn on launch. You would think that a great many of them would learn to manage their own expectations, and learn something about hedging. There is a difference between saying something could do something reasonable, and stating something as a fact.

When you do the latter, and it proves false. You really deserve to be slapped upside the head. That is how your going to learn humility. Though I am starting to think it will never sink in. I am not bashing the game I think it is probably a very good game for what it is, and that is a niche title. That alone limited the sales, and if you thought this game would outperform Galaxy you really were living in some kind of dream world. That game hit just over a million. That with it being a renowned twenty year old franchise. On a console more geared to platform gaming. Built by one of the top teams in the industry. Yes a great many Sony loyalists all over the place screamed that it could be done, and would be done easily.

799 Singapore Dollars is equal to US$523. And the PS3 was released before the US dollar went down.

8000 Mexican Pesos is US$512.

Norway, though, was really expensive. That many Kroner is now US$850.

EDIT: I doubt the guy who wrote this article is from Norway.

William Usher... doesn't sound Norwegian. and that was going to be my response once I read his response. I wasn't even gonna go into conversions.