By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forbes: How Sony Should Respond to a Disruptive Attack (PS3 vs. Wii)

leo-j said:
WiteoutKing said:
I want Sony to lose this generation. I do not want them to leave the console industry, and by no means do I want them to bankrupt.

Why do I want them to lose this generation?

To get them to wake up. I'm still mad at how they marketed the launch of the PS3. It was an insult to the integrity of gamers everywhere how they assumed that we would blindly buy their product on brand loyalty alone, even if, at their own admission, there was nothing worth buying (or even buyable).

The PS2 was the greatest console this industry has seen since the NES, I don't think anyone can really argue that point. The Wii has paved the way to becoming the next big thing, and the PS3 is, largely, a joke right now.

If Sony collects themselves and realizes their error, they can dust themselves off and go back to how they operated this past decade. The decade that made "PlayStation" a bigger household name than "Nintendo". (Remember back in the day? When people were calling all video games "Nintendos"? The last ten years, they were called "PlayStations".)

I wouldnt say the ps3 is a joke, but in terms of World wide sales compared to the wii it is. To date nintendo is still the biggest household name atleast in my neck of the world(to parents)

Ironically, with that statement, you could say you're parents are either "behind the times" or *maybe* even "ahead of the times". :)

Sounds wierd, when you think about it. ~_~ 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

Hmm...

Yes. PS3 cannot win, and Sony either needs to ride Nintendo's coattails, or try to disrupt the disrupter. Their pride and misplaced confidence will not allow the first, and their corporate culture will not allow the second. Furthermore, consumers would likely reject the first, and it would take several years to execute the second.

I think that sums everything up.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I'm not sure anything Sony or Microsoft do at this point will slow the Wii. The Wii has momentum and will sell like mad through the holidays. If Wiifit is a hit it will gain even more momentum to take them into holidays 2008. Sony has to admit to themselves that the casual games sector is exploding. Microsoft has admitted it. Sony has to decide whether they want to aggressively pursue this avenue. The PS3 is capable of doing things the Wii cannot, yet it is the Wii that has become a household name. Personally I can't believe a name like Wii has become so mainstream but it has. I think the longer Sony waits to get a piece of the casual games market, the more they leave the door open for Microsoft to move in.

leo-j said:
azzer100 said:
leo-j said:
marc said:

Doubt the ps3, as much as you want ounce that $399.99 price tag is here we will be seeing who is in the lead.

are you forgetting that once the ps3 gets to $399.99 the wii  could be at $150 or even $100.

THEN we will see who is in the lead!

Some sony fanboys seem to think that only the ps3 is gonna go down in price.

Miyamoto: OH no the ps3 is starting to sell like crazy!!

I have an idea!! Lets not make millions of dollars and start loosing money by cuting the price of the wii to $149.99!!!!

Seriously do you like actually take pride in how bitter and resentful you are over the PS3's situation? Reading your posts is like listening to Dick Cheney angrily defend the war in Iraq during political debates.

On Topic though, do you honestly think there is no way for the parts or production of the Wii to actually become cheaper? Is it unfathomable to think that perhaps they could sell a Wii for $200 or $150 in the a year or two and still make a profit?

Even then how come the idea of Nintendo selling their product at a loss in any scenario is unfathomable, but Sony doing it is perfectly fine? Considering Nintendo now has more money than Sony, wouldn't logic dictate that they are ones better suited for such a manuver, not Sony? Or are you snidley suggesting that it can't happen because Nintendo is just a money whore who should be faulted for doing something as absurd as actually turning a profit on their product while Sony, a faceless vertical monopoly, is the only one who obviously really cares about gaming and is willing to take a loss for the good of the consumer. Yeah, good luck selling that one.

Truthsayer said:
I will be happy the day sony goes bankrupt

you will be an unhappy individual for a long time....but I got an Idea go get a PS3 for this Christmas it will cheer you up.:)

Around the Network

4th option, figure out a way to make PS3 cheap and lower its price to say USD 250. I do not have a PS3 currently, but will go for a blue ray player for USD 250.

At USD 250 a piece, I think PS3 should be able to sell as many as wii.

Simple.

Just have Sony attack Nintendo's weak point for massive damage.

skywalker2007 said:
4th option, figure out a way to make PS3 cheap and lower its price to say USD 250. I do not have a PS3 currently, but will go for a blue ray player for USD 250.

At USD 250 a piece, I think PS3 should be able to sell as many as wii.

Why stop there?

Why not just figure out how to make the PS3 free?

Or why not figure out how to make the PS3 PRINT MONEY?

They have people working on cost reduction, don't worry about that. It's going to take a long time for it to hit $250. Sorry, that's just the way it is. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Here's what I would do if I were Sony:

1) DAMAGE LIMITATION: Wii is capturing the mass market. Although PS3 sales are bad, there's still some market base installed, so capitalize on it, encourage 1st-party development, release some great games and try to retain 3rd party, even without exclusivity. A bit like what Nintendo has been doing with the N64 and the Gamecube (those consoles were commercial disappointments but not complete failures). Don't drop the price of the PS3 anymore (at least until it stops loosing money out of the box).

2) GROOM CUSTOMER BASE: you do this by releasing quality games on your installed base, that is not only PS3 but also and maybe more importantly PS2. There is an amazing amount of PS2s on the planet, show the way to 3rd party developers to keep developing on it at low cost or even port Wii games (although underpowered, the PS2 can probably handle most current Wii games pretty well or with minor adjustments). For this the PS2 doesn't need to and SHOULDN'T be repackaged. Reasons why have been highlighted by other posters.

3) LOOK FORWARD TO THE FUTURE: invest in R&D (and customer surveys, this time ^^ ) to prepare for the next generation and release a truly ground-breaking PS4, capitalizing on the technical expertise gained with PS3, learning from the Wii lessons by making the product family-friendly and profitable. Reach the market only once the product is ready AND the market is ready to accept the product.

Actually maybe that's what they're doing right now

NorthStar said:
So Nintendo is banking on non gamers buying games.... if you look at the top games on the Wii they are very fun novelty games. They just do not appeal to most people that already like Video Games. The fact that Nintendo can not supply at least 15 million into the market by now is not a good thing. There are no part shortages and the Tech is not expensive. This is no time to Panic for Sony the PS2 is still selling very well so that shows that Motion sensing is not what is pushing systems it is Price and games.

Nintendo is doing a great job getting new people into gaming but how will say EA get those people's intrest into Madden instead of Wii Sports. For the most part these "newcomer" do not care about playing players in the NFL or Guiding a Franchise for 30 years. Most of these players enjoy short uninvolved games that offer a few moments here and there of quick fun.

This is not a Bash on the Wii but it sells to people that want Quick and quirky games. Nintendo will make a few more Grand Games like Zelda and Metroid but we will never see a God of War type story on the Wii. Final Fantasy will never be as big of a hit on the Wii as a Game like Wii Play.

I for one like my games emersive and to me that does not come from the type of controler in my hand it comes from in depth story intense action and yes difficulty (I don't want to be able to blow through a game just because the easier it is the more it will sell).

The Wii can NOT replace the PS3 or the 360 to me. It is not the same. They both play games on my TV but what kind of games. What kind of games in the future?

Have you even played a Wii before? It sure sounds like you haven't...

Just kiss the tip.