By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The lack of M/18 rated games from Nintendo are good for 3rd Parties

One of the main complaints about Nintendo from gamers is it's lack of blood and gore in it's games, this can be shown from the thousands of threads on forums all over the internet, and indeed many threads on this forum.

The main complaint from 3rd Party devs is that they can't go up against Nintendo as they are simply too over powering on their own console.

These two reasons were valid on the GC  because of it's kiddy image, it's small user base and little third party support due to nintendo's tough rules.

(I'm getting to my point read on!)

The Wii however has a very fast growing user base many of which did not own a GC last gen, it doesn't really have a kiddy image (yet) due to it's broader appeal and marketing. Third parties are being courted this gen by Nintendo, who have "done everything possible" to get GTA4 onto the platform and are allowing M/18 rated games on the system.

Nintendo are not creating such games. This allows Third parties to have this entire range of games to themselves with no challenge from Nintendo.

The fact that these games are in demand from the Wii user base can easily be shown by how well Red Steel sold even though it generally  had  poor reviews and had a very small user base at the time of release, the fact that RE4 is doing so well even though it is a (4th!)  port also shows a strong demand from the Wii user base.

The Wii user base wants FPS, TPS, RTS etc games nintendo will not give them that.

3rd Parties Will.

With the (soon to be) No. 1 (current gen) user base exclusive games using the Wii remote to great effect is a good possiblity, they are already seeing that quick ports will not be good  enough to sell there games.

So in Conclusion

Nintendo has left open a large portion of gaming genres  for the third parties to sell to, all they have to do is make good games.  The demand, user base and most importantly money is there for them to take. I expect the larger devs to do this and let the small devs make the cheap-but-interesting mini games.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Around the Network

the wii sucks its only sold to old men that touch kids, just like the DS

Impressive banning speed, nice work mod. :)

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Thanks.

The next post was supposed to be from somebody else and say "No, you're not!", and the next one should've been me saying "Yes, I am!"

Alas lack of co-operation smothered my fine attempts at humour.

Around the Network

So, word on the street is that ben likes anal... I keed I keed.

I agree with the post, however, I think Nintendo and the Wii still has that kiddie image. I think will be quite some time before they shake that off. No matter how many Godfathers and RE4s the system has, Nintendo has that stigma branded on their brand name.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

I never knew...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Third parties really just need to smarten up ...

Nintendo is a fairly predictable company that (typically) spaces out the releases of their major franchises in order to maximize sales. Nintendo simply will not release two games in a similar genre within 6 months of each other so publishers need to create their high-quality games and be prepared to space out the release in relation to Nintendo's big franchises.

As an example, there was a perfect opportunity to release a high quality fighting game anywhere between January 1st 2007 and (about) October 15th 2007; after this cut off we see Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution, and Godzilla: Unleashed being released. Most games would be better off delaying their release by 6 weeks around the release of a Nintendo game of a similar genre but choose to go head to head and lose sales.

^Nice to see you back Rol.

Well said, Rol.

3rd Party Rules were from N64 days. Everything else is just the stigma that stuck.

PLUS, add the stigma that Nintendo has abandoned the Hardcore, and that only moms and grannies buy the Wii.

Nintendo just can't seem to catch a break. At least they will sell a hell of a lot of DS/Wii and make...er...print truck loads of cash.