By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much would an Apple console sell?

Apple is one of the most popular and loved companies in the world.After capturing the Music player market they ventured into the phone market with their iPHONE and captured that market.Few know that Apple released their own console in the mid 90s,they failed with it but they were a small company then.Seeing the crowds gathered for iPHONE and its success they could even capture the gaming market.They have already shown their power with the gaming capabilities of their iPHONE but here we are talking about consoles and not handhelds.

My question to you is if they venture now into the gaming market when they have a huge fan base for their products,will they be successful?

Around the Network

they already tried in the past.. it didn't take off very well.. who knows this time round..

The Apple Bandai Pippin priced $599

Not particularly well ...

Apple is not a game developer and it would take years for them to build a stable of high quality developers to provide the most basic first-party line-up. Beyond that, the iPod was the right product at the right time to caputre a market full of weak competitors and they have leveraged that success to make the iPhone popular; after all who doesn't want their phone, iPod and PDA to be one product so they don't have to cary around multiple devices everywhere. I personally don't see the current console manufacturers as being weak competition, and I don't see how you could leverage the success of the iPod to lead to success in the console market.

Apple would first have to develope and publish games. If that goes well than they could use the money they made from that and enter the console business.

Apple does not have the necessary experience to re-enter the gaming market. Microsoft had been publishing games for years, Sony had long been in hardware, and had once struck a deal with Nintendo, and of course Nintendo joined in the 3rd gen, when gaming was in its infancy, still in 2D, on cartidges, and very simple.

There's no place for a fourth competitor. If Steve Jobs did hit his head on a metal ceiling, I'd say it would sell a maximum of 5 million consoles before Apple were forced out of hardware yet again.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

If the console could be compatible with other apple products it could definitely work within apple's fanbase.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Apple should first strengthen the mac as a gaming platform before they embark on making a console. Im sure lots of people would buy it initially if it was marketed right.. but I wouldnt want one.. the industry can only hold 3 players right now, I think samsung would be a much bigger n stronger player than apple if need be for another..

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Decent but I doubt 1st or even 2nd Place....

4 ≈ One

If I made you dinner, would you like it?

how the hell should you know? you have no idea what I'm making.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

LOL the pippin soll 42,000 WW LTD

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection