6. Splinter cell conviction.

PS3 3rd Party Exclsuive:

1. Valkyria Chronicals
  2. FF XIII VS.
  3. Quantom Theory

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

Around the Network

Its funny that you say "Wii doesn't need third party support to succeed," but if you added it, it would have by far the biggest amount of third party exclusives.

I don't care if you just want to look at 360 and PS3, but you can't really say third party exclusives aren't needed by Wii until you examine the facts.

I'll just look at one month: your first month being examined of October 2008... In that month, in America, Wii had the following third party exclusives... I don't believe I've listed all of them, but just ones that stood out as being fairly major from Wikipedia's list:

Game Party 2 (the original sold 1.49m)
Boogie Superstar (the original sold 430K in the Americas)
Carnival Games: Mini-Golf (the original sold 2.43m)
Jillian Michael's Fitness Ultimatum
Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution 2
(the original sold 880K)
All-Star Cheer Squad
Ben 10: Alien Force
(the last Ben 10 game for Wii sold 810K)
MySims Kingdom (the original sold 1.27m)

So that's 6 exclusive sequels to exclusives which sold at least 800K copies on Wii, 4 of them million-sellers, and 8 total games which should be watched to sell 1m copies worldwide, just from October.

Granted, October is the biggest release month of the year, but nonetheless, that's a good haul. The big difference is that none of these will launch to millions of units like some big 360/PS3 multi-plats do, but take months and months to approach 7-digit totals. But nonetheless, it seems to me that third party exclusives are pretty important to Wii.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:

Its funny that you say "Wii doesn't need third party support to succeed," but if you added it, it would have by far the biggest amount of third party exclusives.

Yes. But the Wii is just fine on the strength of the Nintendo titles alone. This is a testement to its stregnth. In any case the purpose is to see if one of the platfroms is starting to sink. I don't think the Wii is in any danger of that, so let's not waste time...

amirnetz said:
Erik Aston said:

Yes. But the Wii is just fine on the strength of the Nintendo titles alone. This is a testement to its stregnth. In any case the purpose is to see if one of the platfroms is starting to sink. I don't think the Wii is in any danger of that, so let's not waste time...

This is just speculation.

After those 8 games in October, November has:

Hasbro Family Game Night
Imagine: Party Babyz
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Lightsaber duels
Cooking Mama: World Kitchen
Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party.

(Plus, it gets Sonic Unleashed alongside 360, and will probably have the better-selling version.)

Just because Nintendo's own software is so massively successful, does not mean you can just assume that all of these potential million-selling exclusives don't contribute to Wii's success.

Of course there's no way to prove causation either way. But I'd say the N64 and Gamecube are good evidence that Nintendo can't make it on it's own, though.

And as I said, I don't care if you just want to compare 360 and PS3. The lists will be much shorter and more managable.

Just don't claim that Wii doesn't need third parties without even examining the third party exclusive situation.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

The terror list is rather small...

I can give you at least 30 for Wii though.

Around the Network

For all those clamoring to add the Wii to the list - I understand the request. I have no doubt that the Wii list will be long and impressive. But the goal of the thread is not a pissing match between the platfroms. The goal of the thread is to detect if one of the lagging platfroms (lagging after the Wii that is) is in danger of losing 3rd party support and to detect the formation of a death spiral for the lagging platforms.

The list will start short, but will grow over time as more titles are announced. The list would have been pretty impressive had we started counting from two years ago. But ancient history is not going to help us as we look to the future trends.

^Well the HD consoles are definitely not lagging in 3rd party support (although I don't think the list is that impressive (yet) as this year) it's just not exclusive to either.

A real good "terror" list would be Wii vs HD, especially from 2006 onwards and see if there is a movement towards the market leader.

I assume you want upcoming release only otherwise add MGS4 Tale of Vespara etc.

1. Start Ocean 4
6. Splinter cell conviction.

4. Left 4 Dead -its already out so should be removed
2. The Last Remnant - TIMED EXCLUSIVE ONLY
5. C&C Red Alert - TIMED EXCLUSIVE ONLY
3. Kill All Humans - TIMED EXCLUSIVE ONLY (Feb 09 release date)

PS3 3rd Party Exclsuive:

2. FF XIII VS.
3. Quantom Theory
4. Yakuza 3

1. Valkyria Chronicals - its already out so should be removed

Not a big list aye? Third party exclusive will be fewer and far betweem these days. At least with regards to the HD console.

Heavy Rain is another one for PS3.

And I think these should be exclusive exclusives, because releasing a game on PS2 and 360, for example, in late 2005, is NOT exclusive, and it would have been on PS3 had the PS3 been released.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

OK, adding Yakuza 3 to the PS3. Heavy Rain is published by Sony therefore it is 2nd party (like Gears) so it is not counted.

@mibuokami: look at the rules in the OP.