By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. only good for Multiplayer? Not anymore! (56K warning)

The Super Smash Bros. serries has traditionally been only good for one thing: Great multiplayer. The last 2 games are 2 of the best selling fighting games of all time (for good reason), but the one thing Smash Bros. has always lacked was a truly viable standalone single player game. Finally after 2 generations of Smash Bros. games, that has changed with the latest update on the Smash Bros. Dojo site.

It's been copy pasted directly, so these are his words:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: The Subspace Emissary is a robust side-scrolling action game!

- This is the Subspace Emissary! -

More than anything, Smash Bros. is a competitive action game. People have been kind enough to praise its multiplayer, but we’ve never been able to create a fully fleshed out single-player game.

This time, though, we’ve managed to create a complete side-scrolling action game. It’s storyline isn’t overwrought—it’s hastened along by a bunch of quick movies.

The Adventure mode also emphasizes character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens... It’s really something you won’t see anywhere else.

With so many wonderful characters appearing together, it’s like a dream action game. We’re putting tons of fighting spirit into making this game, so I hope you’re all looking forward to it.

Oh, and this is all included in the same Game Disc, so rest easy.

Hopefully this will interest some people in the series who were not interested before. An actual plotline centered around some of the greatest characters ever in gaming, as they interact with each other, is a fan's dream come true. This is huge news for the game, and probably for it's sales performance as well.

Edit from BenKenobi88:  Click here for the video.

Around the Network

Those are some mighty nice-looking screenshots.

I don't understand where people got the idea that Smash Bros. was only good for its multiplayer, Melee had hours and hours of single-player challenges to work on, and offered far more single-player replayability than any other fighting game I've seen.  But, if they're going to improve on that, more power to them.  :D

It still might not be the greatest single player experience ever, but it does look like they're putting a ton of effort into a fun single player experience...one that I'll definitely be wasting tons of time with. Also...stop with the 56k warnings hehe.

But yeah, for the people that don't like Smash Bros cause it's mainly multiplayer, perhaps these cool single player modes may convince some to get it. Sweeeetness...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Entroper said:

Those are some mighty nice-looking screenshots.

I don't understand where people got the idea that Smash Bros. was only good for its multiplayer, Melee had hours and hours of single-player challenges to work on, and offered far more single-player replayability than any other fighting game I've seen. But, if they're going to improve on that, more power to them. :D

Well it was enjoyable mindless fighting, but it lacked any true plot, goal, or character interaction.  Some of those screens look very somber.  We may see some real plot depth in this.

I don't think I ever gave a happy squeal at game news before.

I thought that this was going to get delayed to next year, that they weren't getting anywhere... and then this. I am excited now, and looking forward to Dec. Yippie!

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

Why in the world did you think it was getting delayed?

You do know there's a thread that keeps updates from the official blog every weekday, right? This game is as alive as ever.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

one more reason for me to be pissed at Nintendo for releasing Brawl in 2008 for PAL territories...

Wait... on the actual site, there is a video. From the looks of the video, it seems there may be COOPERATIVE adventure mode with 4 players? If so, that's PRETTY FRIGGIN SWEET.

I'm not totally sure if that's what it means...

But if there's cooperative play...which is...totally possible...very easy to do actually...

This would be the BEST.  GAME.  EVER!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Yeah Entroper you're right, that video does show 4 (seemingly random) characters working together. Does seem that there is a chance of 4 player co-op. And, this is just a hypothetical, but if online was in the game, online co-op? :D

Also, for those not familiar with the Smash Bros. series, I would like to point out that every character image on there is of an in-game character model, even those in cutscenes. Smash is famous for using their in-game characters in creative ways. They used the models for the opening video of Melee too, and now they are using the models for cutscenes and videos in this game. The graphics are certainly very impressive.