By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GT Invisible Walls: Wii, biggest turkey of the year.

@Vagbond

I guess I didn't make my points clearly enough.

It is that Nintendo gets blamed for the third-parties not producing for the Wii. Everyone expects Nintendo to do everything ... including produce all of the software it seems.

Going back to the GT piece, their biggest turkey was Nintendo in general and the Wii in particular. They were critical of Nintendo for not having good product 4Q. But as been pointed out by other posters, there were many good games that they completely ignored on the Wii.

And while I am not sure why you feel my argument is a strawman about what GT was saying. What I pointed out is the same anti-Wii-speak that has been said for two years now.

That being said, I agree with your points you raised in that. There is an awful lot of shovelware being dumped on the Wii. Game Party 2 for example (and I bought the danged thing because I had fun with the first version, then discovered they recycled most of the original game and resold it to me and appear to have broken the dart mechanism). Activision's current lineup features a several-year-old port of a PS2 game and a Wii Sports clone. So the Wii does have a problem with some third party vendors deciding it is not worth any work.

Which goes back to the dismissive attitude of the GT Invisible Walls crew. Basically, they seemed to want to blast the Wii because it was not their favorite console. To a lot of us, the unique style and nature of play makes it worth is separating the wheat from the chafe. And if you listen closely -- the segment seemed as if it was constructed to take a pot shot at Wii Music.

Also, we have to realize that those of us here are the exceptions rather than the rule. Most people buy less than 10 games for any system they own. People here I venture often run closer to 100. (Personally, I am between 95 and 100 Wii games.).

Finally, to those who are reading this who are dissatisfied Wii owners, I have one word of advise: SELL. The stock is going to run out before Christmas. There will be demand. You can get top dollar. This may be your last chance to make money on your console.

Mike from Morgantown

Upon futher review, it would have been nice to have had more games -- but that is always the case. But this year looks to be about the same as 2002 GC -- eight first-party games, including two 4Q. It only looks so bad because the 18-month period from launch to March 2008 was so front-loaded.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2586

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

@Ameratsu: It's up to date only in boxed Wii games. There's REUC and both of the WiiWare titles i have, are 3rd party. There's also a few 3rd party games i'm planning on buying (plus a couple titles in WiiWare) and a few more in the future.
Anyway, i have nothing against 3rd party games, but most of the interesting titles just happen to be Nintendos.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

dougsdad0629 said:
The_vagabond7 said:
And if you want to break it down further.

games with a score of 90+ released in 2008 (the real cream of the crop)

Wii:3
PS3:6
360:6

85+ (The really great games)

Wii:6
PS3:20
360:23

I think this is the real issue right here.  No matter whose "fault" you consider it to be, the Wii just doesn't get as much quality software as the PS3 and 360.  Granted, what's there is outstanding (Mario, Zelda, etc.).  It's just that for gamers who buy titles at a decent clip, it's easy to run the well dry fast on the Wii.

Not saying you're wrong, but there is a genuine amount of hatred towards the Wii in the gaming media that seriously lowers the reviewscores. A nice example is the bizarre full point difference in the sound scoring between CoDWaW on IGN. Sure full sorround is nice, but other than that the sound is exactly the same.

The other thing is that the genres that are reviewed highest are FPS and WRPG, two genres that are basically non excistant on Wii.

BengaBenga said:
dougsdad0629 said:
The_vagabond7 said:
And if you want to break it down further.

games with a score of 90+ released in 2008 (the real cream of the crop)

Wii:3
PS3:6
360:6

85+ (The really great games)

Wii:6
PS3:20
360:23

I think this is the real issue right here. No matter whose "fault" you consider it to be, the Wii just doesn't get as much quality software as the PS3 and 360. Granted, what's there is outstanding (Mario, Zelda, etc.). It's just that for gamers who buy titles at a decent clip, it's easy to run the well dry fast on the Wii.

Not saying you're wrong, but there is a genuine amount of hatred towards the Wii in the gaming media that seriously lowers the reviewscores. A nice example is the bizarre full point difference in the sound scoring between CoDWaW on IGN. Sure full sorround is nice, but other than that the sound is exactly the same.

The other thing is that the genres that are reviewed highest are FPS and WRPG, two genres that are basically non excistant on Wii.

If casuals do not care, why should nintendo care? HC gamers are less likely to buy that console anyway so they are the vanishing minority of wii users. I bet most of casuals do not even know what metacritic is or even care about game reviews. They just like to have fun with their console. I am kinda hoping that ms and sony will also take this path as it will be financially much better. Of course 'you' 'HC' gamers on consoles will suffer, but hey theres always PC. ;)

@Deneidez: How will the "hardcore" suffer? Just because we have some game on a platform, doesn't mean people have to buy it.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
@Deneidez: How will the "hardcore" suffer? Just because we have some game on a platform, doesn't mean people have to buy it.

You missed my point completely. If ms and sony start following nintendos footsteps and they start making games and design consoles mainly for their main customers(thats casuals, as that seems where the big money is currently), you won't get that many HC games. Sure current developers can make games for those 'casual platforms', but will they make any profit? According to newest study only 10% of games that come to market will ever profit(or 4% of all game projects). I am quite sure that cooking mama, wii fit etc. aren't outside that 10%(Or HC games of sequels after sequels, which usually seem to sell just because of graphics, which would be a weak point of casual console as we have seen.). So you can clearly see which games will prevail in such future? :)

http://www.edge-online.com/files/profit_or_loss.gif

(Nintendo & Disney are the ones who make most profit. Can you say casual?)

The_vagabond7 said:

...that's if you count any game that has a single review. It drops to 42 if you do it at a modest 5 reviews, and down to 32 at 10 reviews. At 20 reviews (what I did for the PS360) it drops to a paultry 16.

At anything with 1 review "world snooker championship counts in your list, as does "Pajama sam in don't fear the dark", and "allstar cheerleader". Going by a single review the 360 jumps to over 80 titles above 75%. I'm not going to find out how many of those 80 they never reviewed.

And again, if you're bragging about remakes of GBA games as your "aha, gotcha!" move then there is a serious problem.

And again, look at the difference once you reach 85% and above. The support it's getting has been terrible this year.

I'm not saying that the Wii had a great year, or was the best system of the year, but don't you think that you should try some of the games that appear to be worth playing before you complain that there isn't anything worth playing?

I personally own an XBox 360 which I haven't played in over 6 months because no game has fallen into a "must buy" category for me, and I haven't had that much time to play a lot of videogames. Would it be fair of me to argue that the XBox 360 was one of the biggest turkeys of the year because I didn't try most of the games on the system.

@Deneidez: If they follow Nintendo, they release more games? Core gets as much games as always and the new audience games are made just on top of them? Apparently i still miss your point, since that's what Nintendo have been doing.

Anyway, why do you assume that the "hardcore" would stop buying games?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

I still Love that one guys comment "Just go buy Capcom. Go BUY them!" LOL, I thought that was great.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

That was interesting. Makes me want Raving Rabbids.