By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Month of July: Console Sales Summary

libellule said:
@sharky,

The only way Xbox360 can win in europe is just this :

Premium pack : Premium Xbox360 + GTA4 = 300$ - 350$

Not really. In fact consoles are only a small fraction of the market. PCs dominate it completly!

The reason why people buy the PS-3 at the moment can be divided into 3 groups:

1. Sony fans

They simply developed a trust in Sony, whzile theya always complain about Microsft windows on their computers. So they don't see Microsoft as an alternative.

2. BluRay users

At the moment probably the biggest group. Thy bougth6t is as the cheapest and best HD player at this time. When companies start to release stand alone BluRay or even multi format players at useable prices how the PS-3 will sustain.

3. People who want it as a multimedia server.

A rather considerable group at this time. Some even dream that the PS-3 with Linux might be able to challenge windows PCs (crazy idea).  

Around the Network

libellule said:
@sharky,

Europe did't like X360, just look on Italy and Spain... and on the "Other" Europe... PS3! ))

Diomedes1976 said:

The 360 hopes endures as much as the PS3 doesnt start to push serious numbers in Japan and Europe .Once it does ,and it will ,then the worlwide war is over .One region as NA ,where sales will approximate as the price diference gets eroded ,cant compensate the big difference in the other two markets .

At the moment it might more than overcompensate! There ios one big reason behind it. The developers. You can sea it as you like but Europe does not matter for most of these companies! The biggest element for the PS-2 success in europe were unique game, that were not available on PCs, mainly from Japan.

If you look at the Japanese market at this time it is simply devastating for many smaller japanese companies. In fact some of them start to look at the Xbox 360 and the PC as possible alternatives, they have primarily the US market in mind, or they decide to concentrate more on handheld systems, which require smaller budgets. 

Europe, especially germany is more concentrated on special PC game genres (like "Settlers") but consoles are not important. The situation looks better in France and the UK but for the most part they were simply doing parts of the jobs for bigger labels.

The PS-3 and Xbox 360 mainly depend on big budgets. Only big budget games can press these consoles into the gamers market! But who will produce these very risky titles? Primarily US companies. And for them the home market plays the major role. Japan and Europe are not as important.

libellule said:
@sharky,

It would be nicer if they sold it in Euros instead of dollars ;) Then again maybe not, maybe the price would be lower then.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Kars ,you seem from Germany arent you ?

Well ,the PC gaming is importante in Germany ,but not so much anywhere else .Yes ,the Corea industry is heavy on online PC games ,and the US and Europe sure have 1 or 2 titles stood out now and then .

But most PC developers are converting their games to the PS3 and 360 for mainly two reasons ....

1Pc market is literally DEVOURED by piratery

2 Few PCs can keep with the Graphics Card evolution to play the lastest games .

I think these next months are crucial but not as much as you say they are. Lately ive been reading posts on the internet about how ps3 has been loosing exclusives (also xbox but not majorly like ps3) left and right, now im not saying its going to effect sales big time but you have to wonder. Many people bought the ps3 so you could get exclusives (or games not on the xbox) like devil may cry, gta, resident evi. Ive heard rumors that there is a chance of Metal gear solid changing to xbox (if possible). If sony loses this and maybe more exclusives you have to wonder if people are going to buy the system thats 200 bucks cheaper for the same games or get the 600 system

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

any one agree with my numbers [WW, end of gen]
set out like this; absolute minimum

sharky said:
Sqrl said:

That's one month. 360 won, Nov 06, Dec 06, Jan 07, Feb 07, March 07, April 07,May 07, June 07, each month by much more than PS3 will win July by (if it does). Dec 06 by 610,000 units. Plus 2.9 million before PS3. Get the picture? PS3 cannot come back. Who do you think will win August onward? It will almost surely be 360 because of the price cut+games+another possible price cut.

I think the 360 price cut is going to have good effect too, because the HDDVD add on is already up like 1,000% at amazon. And it only dropped 20 measly bucks. Granted that only means it went up to 14 at amazon, but it did show a noticable surge.

So yeah, PS3 winning by 20,000 in July is a drop in the bucket. 

I'm looking at sales both overall and by region though. Even though most  months, the 360 lead in USA has been more than PS3 won in Japan by. So USA+Japan has been a win for 360 the last few months. That only leaves Europe, which we really dont have great numbers for, and I'm not gonna say one or the other is winning there.

Worldwide, for the whole generation, is tougher to say, but Western games dont really sell in Japan, so Japan is not an equal partner in sales imo. EA does not care about Japan, neither does ubisoft or any other western dev, because Japan wont buy western games any more than western consoles. So all the western devs are only going to look at USA+EU sales, which 360 will win.

I guess you could say Japan developers are a different story, they can sell in Japan and the west, but, they're not the dominant force they once were. And, Nintendo non-games are wiping out the industry so much in Japan also, that Capcom and Konami sell moreso to the west also.

Nintendo can sell everywhere but, I dont really care about Nintendo. I have no interest whatsoever in Nintendo games or the Wii. 

Again lack of faith.. You claim the ps3 cant come back when it hasnt even been out for a year yet.. you'll be suprised on what happens in the future.

mM
ElRhodeo said:
Killzone3 said:
jstam said:

They are just spoon feeding the masses and with more blockbusters on the horizon than any other system atm whats going to stop the sales?

If you are talking about the wii then LOL.  As far a list of blockbusters goes, the wii is the weakest of all.

Sometimes I get this feeling that on VGChartz, all forum discussions are really the same. What am I doing here?

A blockbuster doesn't mean it has to be a great game, just one that will sell well b/c of brand and popularity.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.