By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Month of July: Console Sales Summary

Well ,I still have some doubts with the European data .

Its absolutely impossible that the launch of the Starter Pack have had zero impact in sales .Last week 28K and this week 28K ?This just cant be ,sales have increased notably ,its something its even palpable in the shops .

I think vgchartz estimations are wrong on this ,but as always you will research more and finally put the correct data retroactively .

Around the Network

Diomedes1976,

oh, where have you seen 28k for europe this week ....??????

whatever, remember that the starter pack is NOT a price drop.
I espected an effect too but not a huge effect.

Yes PS3 July number are not bad, but we need to see what happen when u drop Xbox360 of 50$ WorldWide
==> Xbox360 outsell PS3 in NA and europe ? or not ?

Time to Work !

Sqrl said:
sharky said:
jstam said:

PS3

Well first of all this was the PS3's 2nd best month in its lifespan, second only to the month of January which was boosted by post X-mas sales. But even January was only 30k ahead of July's final tally, so a very good month indeed. The final week of the month was absolutely huge

out of the ps3 and 360 im inclined to think that the ps3 has got at least 2nd place covered, there have been hardly any good games released and its starting to outsell the 360 at a steady rate now, i think that once the games come the sales WILL follow

Picture perfect is not the phrase I would use to describe the month of July for the Xbox 360. This was the console's worst 4 week month since its launch

well the 360 has had a TON of good to great games released on the system as well as a long head start and i think that the last month has shown what the future holds for the 360, besides halo and GTA what other games coming appeal to people that DONT already own the system? 3rd place looking more and more likely

Wii

Most were probably unaware of the Wii's stellar month due to its always gaudy sales numbers but it did in fact have its best 4 week month since its launch

They are just spoon feeding the masses and with more blockbusters on the horizon than any other system atm whats going to stop the sales?

Hows it gonna be third place when every month it has outsold the PS3 by double in USA?

Can you imagine what people would be saying if the reverse was true?

We dont even know if PS3 can win one month barely-wait for NPD's.

Put it this way, there's absolutely no way PS3 can be second in North America, and Europe is very much a tossup.

360 has all the games and rumored to have not one but two price cuts coming up.

Again, it's hard to get a handle on overseas sales and Japan is a lost cause, but in the world's largest video game market, the war between PS3 and 360 is over. 360 has won.

Responding just to the part I put in red: For the month of July current numbers indicate the PS3 will outsell the 360 by 24,455 units. Even with as much as a 20% increase up for the 360 and 20% decrease down for the PS3 the 360 would still be no where near a doubling of sales numbers in the US. But to answer your question directly, the 360's japanese numbers are very very weak at the moment, the PS3 can make up ground lost in america, in japan.

I won't get into the rest of your post, but I do have a question for you. Are you looking at this as a console race in 3 different regions with each region having a winner or just 1 overall race? Only reason I ask is because if its the former then you should be aware that most people will be speaking in terms of the latter.

That's one month. 360 won, Nov 06, Dec 06, Jan 07, Feb 07, March 07, April 07,May 07, June 07, each month by much more than PS3 will win July by (if it does). Dec 06 by 610,000 units. Plus 2.9 million before PS3. Get the picture? PS3 cannot come back. Who do you think will win August onward? It will almost surely be 360 because of the price cut+games+another possible price cut.

I think the 360 price cut is going to have good effect too, because the HDDVD add on is already up like 1,000% at amazon. And it only dropped 20 measly bucks. Granted that only means it went up to 14 at amazon, but it did show a noticable surge.

So yeah, PS3 winning by 20,000 in July is a drop in the bucket. 

I'm looking at sales both overall and by region though. Even though most  months, the 360 lead in USA has been more than PS3 won in Japan by. So USA+Japan has been a win for 360 the last few months. That only leaves Europe, which we really dont have great numbers for, and I'm not gonna say one or the other is winning there.

Worldwide, for the whole generation, is tougher to say, but Western games dont really sell in Japan, so Japan is not an equal partner in sales imo. EA does not care about Japan, neither does ubisoft or any other western dev, because Japan wont buy western games any more than western consoles. So all the western devs are only going to look at USA+EU sales, which 360 will win.

I guess you could say Japan developers are a different story, they can sell in Japan and the west, but, they're not the dominant force they once were. And, Nintendo non-games are wiping out the industry so much in Japan also, that Capcom and Konami sell moreso to the west also.

Nintendo can sell everywhere but, I dont really care about Nintendo. I have no interest whatsoever in Nintendo games or the Wii. 

@sharky,

The only way Xbox360 can win in europe is just this :

Premium pack : Premium Xbox360 + GTA4 = 300$ - 350$

Time to Work !

Diomedes1976 said:
Well ,I still have some doubts with the European data .

Its absolutely impossible that the launch of the Starter Pack have had zero impact in sales

In fact this is very likely. Many shops already tried to sell something lkike starter packs for several months. A real price reduction would have had an effect but not such starter packs. In fact the bigger effect had PS-3s with the remote control included. What do you expect of a BluRay player?

Around the Network
sharky said:

Hows it gonna be third place when every month it has outsold the PS3 by double in USA?

Put it this way, there's absolutely no way PS3 can be second in North America, and Europe is very much a tossup.

Again, it's hard to get a handle on overseas sales and Japan is a lost cause, but in the world's largest video game market, the war between PS3 and 360 is over. 360 has won.

Nice to see a 360 supporter on here.

But, what we know is a $500 console while lacking games is selling as well or more in USA then a $300 $400 $470 console.  Thats not a good sign.  It can easily beat the 360 in the USA, just look at the line ups for 2008.  The PS3 kills the 360.

Europe IS NO tossup, cheepest 360 is half the PS3s price in Uk yet the 360 is gettig out sold (is that a toss upto anyone?)

Dont be delusional, 360 has won NOTHING yet. 

sharky said:
Sqrl said:
sharky said:
jstam said:

PS3

Well first of all this was the PS3's 2nd best month in its lifespan, second only to the month of January which was boosted by post X-mas sales. But even January was only 30k ahead of July's final tally, so a very good month indeed. The final week of the month was absolutely huge

out of the ps3 and 360 im inclined to think that the ps3 has got at least 2nd place covered, there have been hardly any good games released and its starting to outsell the 360 at a steady rate now, i think that once the games come the sales WILL follow

Picture perfect is not the phrase I would use to describe the month of July for the Xbox 360. This was the console's worst 4 week month since its launch

well the 360 has had a TON of good to great games released on the system as well as a long head start and i think that the last month has shown what the future holds for the 360, besides halo and GTA what other games coming appeal to people that DONT already own the system? 3rd place looking more and more likely

Wii

Most were probably unaware of the Wii's stellar month due to its always gaudy sales numbers but it did in fact have its best 4 week month since its launch

They are just spoon feeding the masses and with more blockbusters on the horizon than any other system atm whats going to stop the sales?

Responding just to the part I put in red: For the month of July current numbers indicate the PS3 will outsell the 360 by 24,455 units. Even with as much as a 20% increase up for the 360 and 20% decrease down for the PS3 the 360 would still be no where near a doubling of sales numbers in the US. But to answer your question directly, the 360's japanese numbers are very very weak at the moment, the PS3 can make up ground lost in america, in japan.

I won't get into the rest of your post, but I do have a question for you. Are you looking at this as a console race in 3 different regions with each region having a winner or just 1 overall race? Only reason I ask is because if its the former then you should be aware that most people will be speaking in terms of the latter.

That's one month. 360 won, Nov 06, Dec 06, Jan 07, Feb 07, March 07, April 07,May 07, June 07, each month by much more than PS3 will win July by (if it does). Dec 06 by 610,000 units. Plus 2.9 million before PS3. Get the picture? PS3 cannot come back. Who do you think will win August onward? It will almost surely be 360 because of the price cut+games+another possible price cut.

I think the 360 price cut is going to have good effect too, because the HDDVD add on is already up like 1,000% at amazon. And it only dropped 20 measly bucks. Granted that only means it went up to 14 at amazon, but it did show a noticable surge.

So yeah, PS3 winning by 20,000 in July is a drop in the bucket.

I'm looking at sales both overall and by region though. Even though most months, the 360 lead in USA has been more than PS3 won in Japan by. So USA+Japan has been a win for 360 the last few months. That only leaves Europe, which we really dont have great numbers for, and I'm not gonna say one or the other is winning there.

Worldwide, for the whole generation, is tougher to say, but Western games dont really sell in Japan, so Japan is not an equal partner in sales imo. EA does not care about Japan, neither does ubisoft or any other western dev, because Japan wont buy western games any more than western consoles. So all the western devs are only going to look at USA+EU sales, which 360 will win.

I guess you could say Japan developers are a different story, they can sell in Japan and the west, but, they're not the dominant force they once were. And, Nintendo non-games are wiping out the industry so much in Japan also, that Capcom and Konami sell moreso to the west also.

Nintendo can sell everywhere but, I dont really care about Nintendo. I have no interest whatsoever in Nintendo games or the Wii.

I was just correcting your statement. I was not asking you to draw any conclusions based on the new information, just to realize that your statement was in fact incorrect. I realize you feel strongly about your view of how this will play out, and I can respect that, but you are attacking the messenger here, I was simply trying to help you maintain factual accuracy before someone tried to dismiss your entire argument based on an insignificant sidepoint.

In that regard factual accuracy is of the utmost importance since most fanboys are always looking for the weakest point in an argument to attack it, and they love to ignore all of the sound reasoning and logic you have put forth when they have something they can latch on to.

Edit: To answer the question you asked, I think it is most likely the Wii will win August onward, it currently has rediculous sales numbers.  But if you mean between PS3/360 I personally have yet to make a prediction, and at the moment I think there are a lot of evolving factors for the PS3 and 360. So in my mind most prediction would be woefully innacurate. But the point of a prediction is usually good clean fun, so I don't really mind being off..so at the moment I would probably say that the PS3 will take Aug, and from then until the end of the year the 360 will be in front of it.

As for the Nintendo "non-games" comment, I think you have forgotten what a game is.  This is a phrase tossed about all to often and really is only meant to marganalise the success of the Wii since its success does not fit into some people's picture of the "Gaming Culture". 

And on your last point, it sounds like you have no interest in the PS3 either yet you are still here talking about it.  If I am being brutally honest, I think this is a thinly vieled attempt once again to marganalise its success. You can talk about and debate what you like, no doubt about that.  But I think you will find you garner more credability by talking about the whole picture rather than avoiding the pieces of the puzzle that don't fit into the picture you are trying to create. 

Don't get me wrong though, I think you make a number of good points and in general I think you have approached the PS3 vs 360 debate in this thread in a reasonable manner which is more than can be said for some. I only took issue with your marganlising of the Wii, it is a very real console and it has very real sales numbers, so I fail to see how it would be valid to discount it any more than it would be valid to discount the 360 simply because it was made by an American company.  Surely you see that all 3 consoles have differences and just picking and choosing which differences determine inclusion and exclusion comes accross as a  bit arbitrary. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

The trends are important.

The PS3 has been on a distinct upslope, ever since the price cut in the US. It may well have doubled the sales in the US for July.

PS3 picked up about 10% in Europe (starter pack), reaching 28k for the week.

The 360 has been on a real downslope. Much of this has to be blamed on the RRoD - and I'm not sure how much MS's repair guarantee will actually fix the situation (no one wants to buy a system that has a real chance of breaking?).

The 360 only sold 20k in Europe for the week, 3.5k in Japan - both of which are low numbers.  At the moment the US is the only real hope for the 360 (34k), and that has been in decline as well.

An official, across the board price-cut is well and truly due for the 360. A couple of bundled packages wouldn't hurt either.  

The good news for MS is that important part of the buying season has not yet started - and that things can be turned around quickly. The bad news is that Sony is establishing some momentum - something MS can't control.

Madden is going to be really important as well. MS are hoping it gets better reviews on the 360 - that alone could drive a lot of sales. Coupled with a price cut... it could be huge.

And while this "battle" rages, Nintendo is sitting happy. This week they took 66% Europe, 55% US & 75% Japan hardware market. Nothing is close to being able to challenge the DS- even for a single week.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

libellule said:
Diomedes1976,

oh, where have you seen 28k for europe this week ....??????

whatever, remember that the starter pack is NOT a price drop.
I espected an effect too but not a huge effect.

Yes PS3 July number are not bad, but we need to see what happen when u drop Xbox360 of 50$ WorldWide
==> Xbox360 outsell PS3 in NA and europe ? or not ?

Well ,its in  the others data isnt it ?

The Starter Pack may not be a price drop but for what I perceive here at least it is selling quite well .The PS3 forums have a lot of threads of people having bought the Starter Pack and even a journey throught some shops show a lot of movement in the PS3 camp thanks to the pack .At least for the first week I think it is moving a lot of hardware .Keeping the data at 28k is not very realistic.In any case some weeks down the line Sony Europe or David Reeves will say the european sales have incremented by X% since the introduction of the Pack and then the site will change its numbers to improve them .We have seen this happen before ,its allright and a correct way of proceeding with something as difficult to track as the european sales .So I am not worried too much ,for me the PS3 has already passed the 4 million mark and thats it .

sharky said:
Sqrl said:
sharky said:
jstam said:

PS3

Wii

In fact the PS3 won as well march with the european launch .And january ,when the NA difference between PS3 and 360 was relatively small and the still strong post vacation japanese sales more than made up for it .SO PS3 has won 3 months this year ,3 from seven .But the next one will also be a win from Sony .And then the prices drops for Japan and Europe will approximate and the exclusive and top notch software will finally arrive in stores .Then we will see how the 360 endures against a product that can sell well in 3 markets instead of 1 .

The 360 hopes endures as much as the PS3 doesnt start to push serious numbers in Japan and Europe .Once it does ,and it will ,then the worlwide war is over .One region as NA ,where sales will approximate as the price diference gets eroded ,cant compensate the big difference in the other two markets .