By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nikkei Shimbun: Japan's Gaming Industry decline (esp. Konami, SE, Tecmo)

I don't know why but I keep getting this strange feeling that SE is going to try and buy Marvelous. Especially if their upcoming titles take off like some are predicting...But this also explains why SE is trying so hard to expand outside of Japan.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Around the Network

I don't know how true it is as far as Japan is concerned, but japanese games like Super Mario, MGS4, DMC4, Zelda TP or GT:P are kicking ass all over the world in sales and quality.

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

Edit: Duh! that's what I got for not reading the article myself.

Soriku said:

lol. Konami and SE? The two companies that don't support the Wii much? Hmm. Tecmo is weird though. Capcom and Nintendo doing pretty good, which is no surprise. Capcom is actually supporting the Wii, and Nintendo is...well, Nintendo.

MGS for Wii?

I dont' think there's much relevance though

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

Soriku said:

http://kotaku.com/5098454/nikkei-shimbun-japans-gaming-industry-melancholy

Gloom and doom! It's not only Japanese game developers who are saying Japan's days as gaming's dominant force are over, but so is the mainstream Japanese media. An article in Japan's Nikkei Shimbun, the country's equivalent of The Wall Street Journal, entitled "The Melancholy of Cool Japan" portrayed Japan's declining domestic game industry. As the article pointed out, the top two game companies in the world are no longer Japanese but American: EA and Activision Blizzard.

According to the piece, Japan's sagging game industry is the result of the country's declining birth rate. Another reason is apparently that 30-something-year-old gamers are busy with their families and jobs and have less time for gaming. The Japanese companies that should pull through this shifting and troubled market? Nikkei Shimbun says Square Enix, Tecmo and Konami. Huh, because we've heard that Capcom and Nintendo do okay outside Japan. Apparently.

---

lol. Konami and SE? The two companies that don't support the Wii much? Hmm. Tecmo is weird though. Capcom and Nintendo doing pretty good, which is no surprise. Capcom is actually supporting the Wii, and Nintendo is...well, Nintendo.

Not sure I understand the comments.

Doesn't the article says that the companies that will survive the best through those tough times are SE, Konami and Tecmo ?

And yet all the comments seem to imply the article says those companies are doing the worse through the changes...

Reading comprehension FTL Soriku, that title is very misleading.......

The Japanese companies that should pull through this shifting and troubled market? Nikkei Shimbun says Square Enix, Tecmo and Konami. 

Dictionary definition of to pull through :

pull through, to come safely through (a crisis, illness, etc.); survive

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

"the top two game companies in the world are no longer Japanese but American: EA and Activision Blizzard."

Isn't ninty a lot bigger then these 2 ?

How can you possibly misspell QWERTY? It's spelled correctly on the damn keyboard.

Sylvarantinc said:
"the top two game companies in the world are no longer Japanese but American: EA and Activision Blizzard."

Isn't ninty a lot bigger then these 2 ?

Ninty's not a game company in its entirety...

EA and Activision. the 2 publishers I've never supported.

superbeast1370 said:
EA and Activision. the 2 publishers I've never supported.

Same, save for one Tony Hawk game.

The current situation proves: you can't support the HD consoles only...

g. The Japanese companies that should pull through this shifting and troubled market? Nikkei Shimbun says Square Enix, Tecmo and Konami.

I thought they mean that they can survive it =p.