By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii momentum is.....SCARY

Its true, 9 months in and you can easily count the must have Wii games on 1 hand yet its selling insane amounts. When the big games come out, the Metroids, Mario Galaxys, Mario Karts etc, it could be quite staggering just how much it sells. The 3rd parties have all seen its dominance thus far and so 08 & 09 should be chocca with 3rd party stuff. I just worry Sony and Microsoft will be left in a little puddle on the floor which is bad because competition makes for much higher standards IMO.

Around the Network

/Puts on Nintendo strategy hat

How about early next year, say first week of April, Nintendo drops the current US wii bundle and comes out with 2 skus. The first would be the wii only for $200. The second would be bundled with wiiFit and balance board for $250. This way, you draw in the people who want to play wiiFit at a really nice price and you give a nice price break to the people who just want the wii. It'll sell extremely well this way, as I'm guessing that wiiFit is going to cost around $70 by itself. A $320 investment would be a bit much for someone just trying to get in shape. Really, the idea is to simply get it into people's homes and let it fly from there. Additionally, release wiiSports packed with a wiimote for $50.

Bah, I'm flying to San Francisco and applying for one of those new marketing positions.

It's really strange because I'm in Eastern Canada and Wiis seem to be pretty easy to get here. In fact I went shopping today and both Wal-Mart and Zellers (a Canadian chain similar to Wal-Mart) had them in stock. Yet I keep reading stories on here about how hard they are to get, it's like they're unevenly distributed.

finally after 9 months i found 7 wii's at a local walmart but only lasted 12 hours and now gone.can there be more wii's shipped to europe then the us and japan? but if u look at sales in those areas that are not sold out the sales are still pretty even with what they wre at lunch

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

scorptile said:
finally after 9 months i found 7 wii's at a local walmart but only lasted 12 hours and now gone.can there be more wii's shipped to europe then the us and japan? but if u look at sales in those areas that are not sold out the sales are still pretty even with what they wre at lunch

You must work at the walmart to monitor the wii for 12 hours.

mM
Around the Network

I can attest that in Toronto, Canada Wii are still a rare sight in the 'wild'.  My girlfriend is on the hunt for one and we havn't had any luck so far.

A Pokemon MMORPG could reach WoW proportions ww. Far bigger if it takes off in Korea. It'd be HUGE.  Nintendo are complete fools if they are not already working on this.  I'd say a 2009 holiday release...

i do think the Wii is too expensive, it should be £130-140, or about $250 to you in the US... think yourself lucky, hell a PS3 here is £425, which i think is about $800 [last time i checked the rate it was about 1.9 dollars to the pound.]

although i think in some of the south american countries it costs the equivalent of US$1000 if not more.

@chuckd, i was thinking a similar thing, except Wii +sprts gets dropped to $200, and Wii +sports and fit for $250.... i just think sports and fit go together so well they will keep it in the pack.

The fact that demand exceeds supply, and has done for so long, clearly shows the wii was underpriced compared to what the market could support.

The scary thing is that nintendo could cut their price savagely if they ever felt they weren't moving enough systems. wii looks set to outsell 360 and ps3 for at least the next couple of years.

And nintendo are best placed to cut the price of their games too...

Machina-AX said:
DonWii said:
Selling this well and Nintendo is still holding all the cards. And, it hasn't even reached the $200 sweet spot.

The next few years are going to be really interesting, especially with Patcher predicting a WiiHD "coming soon" and Anti-Wii fanatics yelling "It will stop selling" with every year that passes by.

I would be really pissed off if they brought out a HD Wii soon, having on recently bought a Wii.

@TWRoO - PS3 is £399.99 in the UK, which includes an extra controller and 2 games.

is it, when did it get that price cut?....it was definately £425 in Feb, that was including 2 games but i assumed that was just an offer from the store/company because other places had it at the same price with 1 game plus extra controller.

also i half bet it's £399 in GAME without extras, or £425 with them, GAME always seems to charge more, Wii points are £18, yet if you use a credit card they are £14 (unfortunately i only have debit but in all other shops than GAME it's £15)

is the 20GB still being made for Europe? and is it cheaper if so?

This generation is the most expensive generation for Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. The Nintendo Wii is Nintendo's most expensive console. The Xbox 360 is Microsoft's most expensive console. And the Playstation 3 is Sony's most expensive console. Is $250 a good price for the Wii? Well, seeing how everything now days are over priced anyways, why not? In fact, because the Playstation 3, and Xbox 360 are so expensive, the Wii can get away with a $50 increase in price. If the Playstation 3, and Xbox 360, were $300 each, than the Wii would probably be $200, just like last generation.