By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii momentum is.....SCARY

To do the remarkably arogant act of quoting myself:

HappySqurriel said:

After Thanksgiving and Christmas has passed I do expect the Wii will become a lot more popular ...

Last Christmas only a handful of people were lucky enough to have gotten their hands on a Wii and as many/most of them will tell you the Wii was a massive hit at Christmas parties; people who never play videogames (or haven't played videogames since the Atari) saw something interesting/unique and fun in the Wii.

This Thanksgiving and Christmas the Wii will end up being far more common and (pretty much) every middle class family will be exposed to the Wii at some sort of Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years party. As the Wii Sports, Mario Parties, Wario Wares, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Boogies and Dance Dance Revolutions are brought out for their widespread appeal old gamers and new gamers alike will be asking the questions "How much does it cost?", "Where can you buy it?" and "What does it come with?"

Certainly, $250 is still a lot of money for the average family to spend but when a man's Wife or Daughter asks him for a $250 Wii after he has already spent $400 on a XBox 360 or $600 on a PS3 for his sons (or himself) he will be (essentially) forced to buy the Wii. Even those that are not guilt tripped into buying the system will likely become far more interested around May/June when the Wii gets its 18 month price reduction to $200.

In my opinion, I think we are at the prelude to the storm ...

In 2008 and 2009 the Wii will hit sales levels we have never seen before and will return to more "normal" market leading levels in 2010

Around the Network
carlos710 said:
I wonder how many Wiis they would sell if they were to release a well done Pokemon MMORPG

That would make me buy a wii.

mM

Happy Squirrel,

someone had that in their signature: "Wii is an epidemic"

so you think Christmas is gonna be very contagious?

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!

cansan said:
Happy Squirrel,

someone had that in their signature: "Wii is an epidemic"

so you think Christmas is gonna be very contagious?

Shouldn't we change that to --> "Wii is pandemic" ;)

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Around the Network
PS3owner said:
It's too hard to tell how many wii's will be sold each month, but i'm going to guess its not more then right now. Reports already have it easy to find in most European countries and their are reports of more and more people seeing it at stores accross NA and Japan.

I can't talk about the whole of Europe, but since the beginning on July there are indeed a lot of Wiis available for purchase in the Netherlands (at least in some shops, never saw them instore before). I don't know where all these Wiis come from, but their availability shouldn't be seen as demand going down but as a huge surge of supply.

I'm predicting 30 million total Wiis sold at the end of 2008 with out increasing production. If they do, which they will, Then possibly 35-40 million by the end of next year.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

If lots of families end up playing wii stuff together this christmas, we could well see that push sales even higher. Combine that with the fact nintendo is by far the best placed manufacturer to cut hardware prices, and really, nintendo will be able to sell as many as they can churn out next year.

Well, in Germany, the situation is exactly the same, there are MOUNTAINS of Wii's available here. They should just send them to America or Japan instead.

Nintendo terrifies me.

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)