By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

To you it's not next-gen. And thats still a dumb reason. You should include the wii anyway since general people say it is next-gen and may wanna know its games. I understand about the DS and PSP since they are handhelds and their games don't compete with consoles games.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Around the Network
NeoRatt said:
Xeo_842 said:
You forgot about DS and PSP. Those are next-gen systems to. And thats a dumb reason for not including the Wii. So your list is incomplete.

I know a lot of people will fly off their rocker for this... But...

Wii is not NextGen... It does not have HD, does not support HD DVD/Blu-Ray, Does not have the processing power or graphics power, etc. It is only NextGen by its release date and version. Back, a few years ago when people talked about "NextGen", they were talking about raw technical capabilities of consoles and immersive hard core gaming experiences and online multiplayer capabilities... You don't see the Unreal Engine 3 on Wii, or you can't play HD movies on it. So to me it is not NextGen. - That said, I have a Wii and love it. Sorry to offend Wii-only fanboys, but the truth is the truth. Nobody was talking about games like Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros., Trauma Centre, etc. a few years ago when they envisioned the NextGen... They were thinking about MGS, GoW, CoD, Halo, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, etc.

DS and PSP are not consoles. They are portable gaming devices and should be compared with each other for Xmas lineups and not PS3 and 360...

God I hate it when people say the Wii isn't nextgen.  You say nextgen is an improvement in graphics and technical capabilities over the previous, well compare the Wii to the Gamecube.

Graphics: despite what people may say, the Wii is more than two Gamecubes taped together.  It is in fact more powerful than any of the last gen systems so it fulfills the better graphics requirements.  The only thing with the Wii is that it doesn't have as good as graphics as the PS3 or 360.  Woohoo.

Disc Drives:  The Gamecube used mini discs, the Wii does not.  The Wii can now hold more info than the GC discs can as proven my RE4: Wii.  There's really not much to say about this because, well, it's pretty obvious. 

Nextgen means HD:  If nextgen means HD, then that means the PS2 could never have been called nextgen (which it was) or that it means the definition can change.  If the definition can change, why can't we consider nextgen simply a jump to next platform (which is what it really is so there's no need to change) or innovation and improvements over the previous console? 

So please just stop saying the Wii isn't nextgen because it is.  It's a jump from the previous version of the console (and not like the DS to DS Lite jump) and that makes it *gasp* the next generation Nintendo console.  Get over yourself. 

NeoRatt said:
Xeo_842 said:
You forgot about DS and PSP. Those are next-gen systems to. And thats a dumb reason for not including the Wii. So your list is incomplete.

I know a lot of people will fly off their rocker for this... But... 

Wii is not NextGen...  It does not have HD, does not support HD DVD/Blu-Ray, Does not have the processing power or graphics power, etc.  It is only NextGen by its release date and version.  Back, a few years ago when people talked about "NextGen", they were talking about raw technical capabilities of consoles and immersive hard core gaming experiences and online multiplayer capabilities... You don't see the Unreal Engine 3 on Wii, or you can't play HD movies on it.  So to me it is not NextGen. - That said, I have a Wii and love it.  Sorry to offend Wii-only fanboys, but the truth is the truth.  Nobody was talking about games like Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros., Trauma Centre, etc. a few years ago when they envisioned the NextGen...  They were thinking about MGS, GoW, CoD, Halo, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, etc.

DS and PSP are not consoles.  They are portable gaming devices and should be compared with each other for Xmas lineups and not PS3 and 360...

Well, technically speaking the Wii isn't a "Next Generation" gaming console but neither are the PS3 or XBox 360 because they're currently available systems ...

I have heard EVERY one of these arguments before with the DS vs. the PSP

twesterm said:
NeoRatt said:
Xeo_842 said:
You forgot about DS and PSP. Those are next-gen systems to. And thats a dumb reason for not including the Wii. So your list is incomplete.

I know a lot of people will fly off their rocker for this... But...

Wii is not NextGen... It does not have HD, does not support HD DVD/Blu-Ray, Does not have the processing power or graphics power, etc. It is only NextGen by its release date and version. Back, a few years ago when people talked about "NextGen", they were talking about raw technical capabilities of consoles and immersive hard core gaming experiences and online multiplayer capabilities... You don't see the Unreal Engine 3 on Wii, or you can't play HD movies on it. So to me it is not NextGen. - That said, I have a Wii and love it. Sorry to offend Wii-only fanboys, but the truth is the truth. Nobody was talking about games like Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros., Trauma Centre, etc. a few years ago when they envisioned the NextGen... They were thinking about MGS, GoW, CoD, Halo, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, etc.

DS and PSP are not consoles. They are portable gaming devices and should be compared with each other for Xmas lineups and not PS3 and 360...

God I hate it when people say the Wii isn't nextgen.  You say nextgen is an improvement in graphics and technical capabilities over the previous, well compare the Wii to the Gamecube.

Graphics: despite what people may say, the Wii is more than two Gamecubes taped together.  It is in fact more powerful than any of the last gen systems so it fulfills the better graphics requirements.  The only thing with the Wii is that it doesn't have as good as graphics as the PS3 or 360.  Woohoo.

Disc Drives:  The Gamecube used mini discs, the Wii does not.  The Wii can now hold more info than the GC discs can as proven my RE4: Wii.  There's really not much to say about this because, well, it's pretty obvious. 

Nextgen means HD:  If nextgen means HD, then that means the PS2 could never have been called nextgen (which it was) or that it means the definition can change.  If the definition can change, why can't we consider nextgen simply a jump to next platform (which is what it really is so there's no need to change) or innovation and improvements over the previous console? 

So please just stop saying the Wii isn't nextgen because it is.  It's a jump from the previous version of the console (and not like the DS to DS Lite jump) and that makes it *gasp* the next generation Nintendo console.  Get over yourself. 

Not to mention you could pretty much say 360 isn't "next gen" because it doesn't have next gen controls on it's system.  Just because Nintendo focused more on gameplay hardware then graphics hardware doesn't make it any less next-gen.

twesterm said:

So far I've seen two developers say it's about as powerful as an Xbox.  Also I haven't seen *any* game on it that looked like it couldn't be done with the same graphics on an Xbox (motion controller withstanding).

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

twesterm said:

Graphics: despite what people may say, the Wii is more than two Gamecubes taped together. It is in fact more powerful than any of the last gen systems so it fulfills the better graphics requirements. The only thing with the Wii is that it doesn't have as good as graphics as the PS3 or 360. Woohoo.

So far I've seen two developers say it's about as powerful as an Xbox. Also I haven't seen *any* game on it that looked like it couldn't be done with the same graphics on an Xbox (motion controller withstanding).

So you've seen two developers say it's about as powerful as an XBox, how many more have you seen say otherwise?  Quite a few.  I could go downstairs and actually talk to the people that have actually worked on Wii and XBox games themselves and let them tell first hand the Wii is more powerful.

twesterm said:
Legend11 said:

twesterm said:

Graphics: despite what people may say, the Wii is more than two Gamecubes taped together. It is in fact more powerful than any of the last gen systems so it fulfills the better graphics requirements. The only thing with the Wii is that it doesn't have as good as graphics as the PS3 or 360. Woohoo.

So far I've seen two developers say it's about as powerful as an Xbox. Also I haven't seen *any* game on it that looked like it couldn't be done with the same graphics on an Xbox (motion controller withstanding).

So you've seen two developers say it's about as powerful as an XBox, how many more have you seen say otherwise?  Quite a few.  I could go downstairs and actually talk to the people that have actually worked on Wii and XBox games themselves and let them tell first hand the Wii is more powerful.

So why aren't they porting the Unreal Engine 3 to Wii?  What about the new id software engine?  Why is Call of Duty 4 not for Wii?  Why not Assasin's Creed?  What about Codemasters DiRT?  All are labelled as truely "NextGen" multiplatform engines and games not available to Wii owners.  Its simple, the Wii can't do it to the specs defined by those engines and games.

New hardware doesn't make a console NextGen.  Consoles are built from the ground up as NextGen.  The Wii controller could be added to the 360 or PS3 by simply building it and selling it as an accessory (The problem is it makes them look like copycats so they aren't doing it because it wouldn't sell)...  Wii owners cannot be given the option of the better graphics, more processing, etc in the current Wii hardware as an add-on.

Name one truely NextGen multiplatform game that was released or scheduled to be released on the 360, PS3, and Wii but not available also on the PS2.

I could ask this. Why is Nights, Zack & Wiki, Boogie, and other third party Wii only games not on the 360 or PS3?

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

NeoRatt said:
twesterm said:
Legend11 said:

twesterm said:

So you've seen two developers say it's about as powerful as an XBox, how many more have you seen say otherwise? Quite a few. I could go downstairs and actually talk to the people that have actually worked on Wii and XBox games themselves and let them tell first hand the Wii is more powerful.

So why aren't they porting the Unreal Engine 3 to Wii? What about the new id software engine? Why is Call of Duty 4 not for Wii? Why not Assasin's Creed? What about Codemasters DiRT? All are labelled as truely "NextGen" multiplatform engines and games not available to Wii owners. Its simple, the Wii can't do it to the specs defined by those engines and games.

New hardware doesn't make a console NextGen. Consoles are built from the ground up as NextGen. The Wii controller could be added to the 360 or PS3 by simply building it and selling it as an accessory (The problem is it makes them look like copycats so they aren't doing it because it wouldn't sell)... Wii owners cannot be given the option of the better graphics, more processing, etc in the current Wii hardware as an add-on.

Name one truely NextGen multiplatform game that was released or scheduled to be released on the 360, PS3, and Wii but not available also on the PS2.

Why aren't they porting UE3, DiRT and other games the Wii can't handle? Just because the Wii can't handle an engine doesn't make it lastGen, it only means that it can't handle those games. Are you saying games that don't use UE3 aren't Nextgen rather than legacy proprietary engines aren't nextGen? The Wii is nexGen, I really don't see why people have such a hard time handling this simple fact.

The Wii Remote could be an accessory argument has always been a fairly lame argument. If it was an accessory, the developers that made it would use it and *maybe* another developer would use it. Other than that, it would never get touched. True, anyone could have made the very bold moves that Nintendo did, but nobody else did. It was a fairly gutsy move to make a nextGen platform that uses a wild new controller (and they actually strongly recommend making your game not solely use the classic controller) and not push the technology to an extreme.

As for a multiplatform Wii game that wasn't/isn't going to be released on the PS2-- Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. If that doesn't float your boat, look up CSI: Hard Evidence.

This thread sucks.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )